Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
DanG38
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all - I've been reading other video quality issues so I tried to check a few things myself before posting.  I am a new owner (setup the 3 pack Arlo Pro from Costco this weekend).  My kitchen camera which is very close to the Arlo base, works great.  No laggy video, not choppy or grainy.  My outdoor & basement cameras (probably about 40 and 20 feet from the base) is quite the opposite.  When I walk past the camera, the video lags and there is a "ghost" image of me that stays frozen for a few seconds before fading.

I tried a test - and swapped the outdoor camera with the kitchen one.  The kitchen camera which was working great inside, worked poorly outside (same image issues).

Both the outside & basement camera's have 3 full bars for reception - and my Google tested internet speed is 50 over 18, not sure whatelse to try here.  I dont see a point in factory resetting the cameras, since the kitchen camera was working excellent indoors.

Any ideas?  I really want to love this system!  But I cant keep it if the outdoor video quality is this poor!  I primarily bought the cameras to keep an eye on my porch and driveway.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

We've seen these 'ghosting' issues before and it has been narrowed down to a few things...

1) interference 2) low signal 3) processing of vid/ key frame dropping 4) low data thru put speeds.

You've tested most things I would tried... but sometimes the signal at 2.4ghz wifi just has trouble in some locations getting thu building materials such as metal, mirrors, metal duct work, etc...

The only thing I can say is to try ( if you can ) move the base to a more central location of the cameras...

or maybe go with just the Q cameras which link directly to your wifi and are dual band ( 2.4/5ghz ) without a base unit if your home wifi is good at those locations

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

We've seen these 'ghosting' issues before and it has been narrowed down to a few things...

1) interference 2) low signal 3) processing of vid/ key frame dropping 4) low data thru put speeds.

You've tested most things I would tried... but sometimes the signal at 2.4ghz wifi just has trouble in some locations getting thu building materials such as metal, mirrors, metal duct work, etc...

The only thing I can say is to try ( if you can ) move the base to a more central location of the cameras...

or maybe go with just the Q cameras which link directly to your wifi and are dual band ( 2.4/5ghz ) without a base unit if your home wifi is good at those locations

Morse is faster than texting!
kapro
Initiate
Initiate

I have the exact same problem.  I contacted Support and they sent me a lengthy message suggesting I do the following:

1) Reset the base station

2) Remove the base station under the Arlo Account

3) Powercylce the camera (remove the battery)

4) Sync the camera to the base station

5) Increase the sensitivity setting of the camera (go to App, Select Mode, Select Green Pencil next to Armed, Select Green Pencil next to Camera, Select Green Pencil next to Motion is Detected, Slide bar to 100, click back, click save

I tried step 5 first to see if that works.  

Otherwise I will try all the other steps.  My question is has anyone ever actually done anything other than move the camera closer to base station to fix this problem.  I get late video starts, choppy and pixelated pictures.  

Frustrating as I bought these camera based on 4+ star reviews.  

AndersJo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same experience.

This must be a product weakness.

I wanted to have the best video quality on my Arlo Pro outdoor cameras (which have 3 connectivity bars), but had to downgrade the quality due to the issues you are describing.

The videos that were stored to the USB device were also damaged. 

I wonder if this can be solved by firmware/software, or not.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The WiFi connection is all-important.  It's not a constant and many things can cause problems with it.  Your positioning of the cameras relative to the base can be the issue but it's also not the only possibility.  2.4GHz interference from other devices is a possibility but there's still the chance that it's a bad camera.

If only one camera is doing this, swap cameras to see if the issue stays with the camera or the position.  If the latter, you have to make a change to get a better signal.  If only one camera, move it close to the base to test.  If it works well, move it further away and keep testing until you find a location that works for you.  

Placing the base somewhere else can help, too, by either using a long Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port to plug the base into.

ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
I just bought Arlo Pro and I ran into the same issues, lagging video and ghost images and my signal is shown either as 2 or 3 connectivity bars. I assume the connectivity as 2 or 3 bars range should be good enough for Arlo Pro to communicate with the base but the video is lagging, ghost image, and pixelated. The video in the usb storage is very much the sams bad quality. Anyone in this thread found the solution to resolve it? I am about to exchange or return mine.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pixelated/distorted video is often caused by poor camera connection with the base station. This could be due to wireless interference or range. If you are still experiencing this issue after relocating the camera/eliminating nearby sources of WiFi interference as troubleshooting steps, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
Did you read my text? Did I not indicate the connectivity bars as 2 or 3 which indicated as good connection. Unless you tell us, users, dont trust the singnal connectivity bars feature from your hardwares (base and camera). If you have nothing better to suggest, please don't write anything back. Dont treat us like dummy users.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Have you opened a case?
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
After spending over an hour with Level II support troubleshooting everything imaginable the Netgear support agent admitted that the poor video quality everyone is experiencing is in fact a known issue and all they could offer was to forward my case to engineers!?! My original Arlo Pro cameras work flawlessly but you take an Arlo Pro and place it within a foot of the base unit and I still get the same pixilation and ghosting and a month has gone by with no answers from Netgear. I wish I could return the $1,000+ in cameras I purchased!!!!!!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

steeler560 wrote:
After spending over an hour with Level II support troubleshooting everything imaginable the Netgear support agent admitted that the poor video quality everyone is experiencing is in fact a known issue and all they could offer was to forward my case to engineers!?! My original Arlo Pro cameras work flawlessly but you take an Arlo Pro and place it within a foot of the base unit and I still get the same pixilation and ghosting and a month has gone by with no answers from Netgear. I wish I could return the $1,000+ in cameras I purchased!!!!!!

Glad to hear it's now considered a 'known issue'. I'm hoping a firmware update sorts this out soon. There's a 13(?) page thread about pixelated and ghosting Arlo Pro cameras so it's not just you. Distance, signal strength, other wifi etc don't seem to make any difference

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I too have this very same problem. Been emailing through my support case, still no solution. Last they told me they're aware of this and it is in engeering and to please be patiient, I'll be notified when it's fixed. Been waiting over a month! Lip service!

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Me again, I don't understand how this thread indicates that it's SOLVED. Someone posted that incorrectly is all I can think. Probably doesn't help actually getting it solved!

NorthenSky
Tutor
Tutor

OK stop blaming people and look at your product.

I have the exact same problem. I have two sets. The first version of base station with the first version of the camera and the Pro version.
Both cameras are placed at the same places and the older version works well. The pro version is not usable at all: late video starts, choppy and pixelated pictures for me too oh, and jumpy too. I see myself outside of the garage and then I dissapear and a few second later reappear in my garage.

So, instead of blaming people I would look at your cameras and try to figure out if the magnet would not be too strong and if it's that causing the problem that a lot of people are experiencing.

If I connect the pro version camera on the oldest base station I have the late video starts, choppy and pixelated pictures too.

So it's not the base station, it's your cameras.

I'm returning the cameras set to the store. That's probably the worst camera ever produced.

NorthenSky
Tutor
Tutor

They blamed people and then they marked their reply as solved.

They are not able to admit that their cameras have problems.

I'm experiencing the same problem. And it's not the base station. It's the Cameras.

The oldest cameras work well. The pro version has a hardware problem.

NorthenSky
Tutor
Tutor

gildrush wrote:

Me again, I don't understand how this thread indicates that it's SOLVED. Someone posted that incorrectly is all I can think. Probably doesn't help actually getting it solved!

If I would be you I would return the product to the store.

I don't think it can be solved

since I have the impression that's the magnet in the camera who's too strong and which cause the interference.

Do the same thing as me, get reimbursed or exchange it for the previous version which works way much better.

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
PROBLEM SOLVED...I think. I gave up and returned my Arlo Pro cameras but I felt guilty recommending them to my neighbor who also boughtthem and was having the same video issues so I've been helping him.

I tried EVERYTHING and believe I've got the issue pinpointed and resolved. When adding the Arlo Pro to an exiting original Arlo system the Arlo Pros struggle to deliver a clean video image. We went and bought a full Arlo Pro system with Pro base station and added the original Arlo cameras to the new Arlo Pro system versus adding Arlo Pro cameras to an old base station the video issues magically went away!

The other thing we noticed is if you place two Arlo Pro cameras within 5-6 feet of each other they tend to interfere with each other. We spaced the two Arlo Pro camera that were mounded right next to each other about 7 feet apart and no more issues.

I'd return any base station from an original Arlo system for one that is specific for the Arlo Pro. If it's past the 30 day return period go buy a complete new Arlo Pro system and swap out the cameras and base station and return them the same day if Netgear won't offer to replace your base station with an updated one.

Hope this helps. The system has the potential to be really good but the lack of support and responsibility from Netgear is something that has convinced me to never to buy a Netgear product again.
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
See my post below yours. It's not the magnet but the original base station that is to blame I believe. It cannot handle the added bandwidth of video AND audio that you have with the Pro cams. I had my neighbor swap out the original base station for a new one from a Pro system and the video issues went away.

Outside of your 30 day return period? Just buy a complete new system and swap out the base station and return it. I wish you didn't have to go this route but when Netgear refused to remedy the issue I was hellbent on finding a way to send them back their flawed hardware one way or another!
NorthenSky
Tutor
Tutor

steeler560 wrote:
See my post below yours. It's not the magnet but the original base station that is to blame I believe. It cannot handle the added bandwidth of video AND audio that you have with the Pro cams. I had my neighbor swap out the original base station for a new one from a Pro system and the video issues went away.

Outside of your 30 day return period? Just buy a complete new system and swap out the base station and return it. I wish you didn't have to go this route but when Netgear refused to remedy the issue I was hellbent on finding a way to send them back their flawed hardware one way or another!

Thanks for the reply but I have both base station (since I wanted 2 extra cameras and it's almost the same price as two cameras plus a base station). and this is what I first thought because I was using the oldest base station with a pro camera so I set up the newest base station and I still have the problem. But I don't experience the problem with the original cameras and the original base station.

So, for me it's the pro cameras the problem.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I feel these cameras are using too much compression giving us poor video quality. It would be nice if they can fix this
Sampy123
Tutor
Tutor

I am using the first Arlo Wireless device with 3 cameras and I noticed the same problem with the quality going bad over time. 

I never had a problem to begin with and my internet speeds here are very good. 

I won't be recommending arlo to anyone either as I would have to agree, lack of support and acknowledgment from Netgear has really turned me off their brand - even as a long term customer.

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hang in there I think updates will fix this soon 

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Is it a coincedence or the Arlo Pro 2-cam kit is just problematic (Bad Batch)? I have experienced it too as described here. I returned it 2-times with the same results from Fry's before I finally got one at Costco(3-cam Kit). Now, no more pixelated/ghosting. I spent a little bit more but less problematic. There's still some minor issues like the losing sound and delay but I can live with that for now.. But definitely something Arlo Netgear needs to work on for improvement.. FWIW, I will definitely hold on to my receipt for 90days return from Costco before anything can happen with future updates.. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Most likely a coincidence with the firmware update that fixed the pixelation and ghosting

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sampy123,

A firmware update for the Arlo Pro was recently released that many users have confirmed improves this issue. Are you using the original Arlo Wire-free cameras and base station or do you have an Arlo Pro system?

It could be wireless interference or a signal strength issue that you are experiencing.

JamesC