Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JasonP911
Tutor
Tutor

Hello everyone, need help. I've got a S8+, wife has the Pixel 2. When we leave the house, I am out of zone in geofencing mode, but she never changes from "in zone" to "out of zone". Tried resetting to factory settings, tried new accounts, tried name changes, tried switching, then saving then backing out, then switching back, then saving, it all reverts back to staying "in zone". We need to manually change it everytime we leave. Please help. I know someone has the solution here somewhere.

64 REPLIES 64
Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
Same issue here. Any fixes yet?
martin8888
Guide
Guide

When they updated the iOS app about 2 weeks ago it fixed everything. Haven't had any issues since

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:
Same issue here. Any fixes yet?

This was fixed for me with a recent release of the Arlo app.  I have forgotten it was 2.11 or 2.12, but it has been working for a few weeks for us.  We are on the latest versions of iOS and iPadOS using an iPhone X and 11 Pro as our location aware devices.

I just found an older post of mine on another related thread.  It shows that mine was working on 12/13, so we are at least 17 days post fix.  The app says that 2.12 was pushed out on 12/5, so it could be even longer.

Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
Thanks. Mine still not working correctly. My phone will activate it. But my wife's will not. It also seems that about every other time I go into the app. It ask me to enable the device. Not sure what this is happening.
Davidcurl
Guide
Guide

When i go into Geofence and try to enable the 2nd phone. it is "greyed out".  When i try to click on it, i get the following message.

Cannot enable this device

Location Services are not permitted on this device. To enable Geofencing for this device, go to Settings > Privacy > location Services and select "Allow".

I cant find where this is at on a Android Phone.  I cant find Privact> location services in or to select Allow.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:

When i go into Geofence and try to enable the 2nd phone. it is "greyed out".  When i try to click on it, i get the following message.

Cannot enable this device

Location Services are not permitted on this device. To enable Geofencing for this device, go to Settings > Privacy > location Services and select "Allow".

I cant find where this is at on a Android Phone.  I cant find Privact> location services in or to select Allow.

I found this with a web search.  I hope it helps.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/6179507

It begins with this...  seems like it might be on-topic.

Choose which apps use your Android phone’s location

You can let apps use your phone’s location to take actions for you or give you information. For example, apps can use your phone's location to see commute traffic or find nearby restaurants.

Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 10 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
Thanks. Mine was set correctly. Phone 2 was not and corrected it. But it still shows the same. See attached 2nd phone is still grayed out
Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
Ok. Now I can select the 2nd phone. Just maybe had to let everything catch up. So I selected the 2nd phone and it show unavailable. What does this mean? (attached)
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:
Ok. Now I can select the 2nd phone. Just maybe had to let everything catch up. So I selected the 2nd phone and it show unavailable. What does this mean? (attached)

In my experience “unavailable” means her phone status is unknown and that usually means she needs to login on the Arlo app on her device.  I think it could also mean her device was not on the Internet, but the former is more likely unless her device is off or in a location where there is no internet access.

Davidcurl
Guide
Guide

Looks like this worked.  Thanks for all the help.  Just needed it to take time to sync up.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:

Looks like this worked.  Thanks for all the help.  Just needed it to take time to sync up.

Very good to hear.  Good luck.

Davidcurl
Guide
Guide
Ok. Didn't work. As I was out of range, it seem to work as the 2nd phone was in range. Then 2nd phone left out of the area and geofence still showed the 2nd phone in the active area. I read where special characters could effect it. The 2nd phone is Jennifer's iPhone. Will or is the " '" a special character?

Also with both phones enabled. E ery time I log in, I get the attached screen and don't understand why. Even with both phone enabled. It might relate back to the above... Thinking that the IPhone was working correctly. I have a android and had no issues.
Any suggestions?
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:
Ok. Didn't work. As I was out of range, it seem to work as the 2nd phone was in range. Then 2nd phone left out of the area and geofence still showed the 2nd phone in the active area. I read where special characters could effect it. The 2nd phone is Jennifer's iPhone. Will or is the " '" a special character?

Also with both phones enabled. E ery time I log in, I get the attached screen and don't understand why. Even with both phone enabled. It might relate back to the above... Thinking that the IPhone was working correctly. I have a android and had no issues.
Any suggestions?

I have heard the comments on special characters also.  I am not certain if it is a factor or not,  I’m pretty sure I had it working with apostrophes in names a while back.  I likely took them out when trying to get a prior version working.

Try uninstalling the app on both phones.  Reboot the phones and reinstall and set up the apps.  That might clear out the settings and start fresh.  I only use iPhones and iPads, so I don’t have experience with a mixed platform environment.

Davidcurl
Guide
Guide

OK - finally got it to work today....

I renamed one phone and removed any special characters.

Then remove the granted access for the 2nd phone.

Then deleted/removed the Arlo Apps on both phones.

Added the Arlo App back to the primary phone

Granted access to the 2nd phone. Then set up the 2nd phone.

Then went to Geofence and selected the 2 phones.

Be patient....What I learned is the that you have to wait and let things sync up. Give it about 15 minutes or so.

Thanks to all the gave different suggestions.  I think in the end, I did them all at 1 time, which seem to make it work.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Davidcurl wrote:

OK - finally got it to work today....

I renamed one phone and removed any special characters.

Then remove the granted access for the 2nd phone.

Then deleted/removed the Arlo Apps on both phones.

Added the Arlo App back to the primary phone

Granted access to the 2nd phone. Then set up the 2nd phone.

Then went to Geofence and selected the 2 phones.

Be patient....What I learned is the that you have to wait and let things sync up. Give it about 15 minutes or so.

Thanks to all the gave different suggestions.  I think in the end, I did them all at 1 time, which seem to make it work.

Good to hear.  Glad it finally worked.