Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BillTHollins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why do I have to keep the Arlo App on and loged in all the time. I have a Samsung S8 and of course this goes into a lock screen that means the app is in the background but not logged in. I leave the house and it does not go to armed until I open the app and log in. I do not close the app but it does log out. I arrive home and same, have to actually log in again to get the geofence to work.

It seems as if Arlo needs to create a very light weight background service under Android that can continue to monitor location. Having to log in removes the whole point of geofencing.

Any thoughts on how to stop the app closing welcome.

I notice lots of posts about this and have tried all. It does work but only if logged in.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are many suggestions here to be sure to remove the Arlo ap from power savings in the phone. For Android, that's in the phone settings under Battery, Battery Optimization.

BillTHollins
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree can get it to stay on outside the Power management, but it will still get logged off.

As an app to control geofenceing, to have it fully on ALL the time seems mad. Surely it can work the same as other apps that just run in the background, like Tasker. I am now looking to use Tasker to switch the Arlo on/off rather than the geofence as this just does not work as it should.

Jazzdimm
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having this exact issue.
It's a major flaw. The product is actually misleading people as it does not operate as it should, or is advertised.. I've been really disappointed with Arlo so far so will be watching this thread with interest to see if there is a solution to what should be a simple background operation like you say.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@BillTHollins wrote:

I agree can get it to stay on outside the Power management, but it will still get logged off.

As an app to control geofenceing, to have it fully on ALL the time seems mad. Surely it can work the same as other apps that just run in the background, like Tasker. I am now looking to use Tasker to switch the Arlo on/off rather than the geofence as this just does not work as it should.

There's a couple of parts to this. Yes, the app times out so you need to "log in" again - that's normal behavior. It should be automatic - is it? The other part is whether you're actually logging out by manually choosing that option. If not, yes, you may well need to log back in (reconnect is maybe a better description) but the app is running in the background. That's not to say that there aren't issues with GF - I'm just reminding folks that the app is running in the background as long as battery optimization isn't making it sleep.