Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hallinmas
Initiate
Initiate

I have Arlo Pro cameras and just today my geofencing is not working. I am home and the app says that I am "In Zone", yet it is saying that the system is armed. I also noticed that Arlo Smart is not filtering, and it is allowing all motion for one of my cameras to come through when it should only be People. Is there a bug? Any help would be appreciated. I already tried unplugging the base station and restarting. Thanks!

932 REPLIES 932
mr_alex26
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and it is annoying, I have had it working for more than 6 months and then all of a sudden im having this issue and nothing in the settings have been changed. 

Both my phone and my wifes say that we are either "in zone" or not and the setting doesnt change. 

roowho
Tutor
Tutor

The Core Location framework lets you locate the current position of the device and use that information in your app. The framework reports the device’s location to your code and, depending on how you configure the service, also provides periodic updates as it receives new or improved data.

Understood.  So if it's logic works when leaving, WT? doesn't it do the same when coming home? A fence is a fence and is off when in and on when out.  How can this go wrong?

Sorry, am venting as I've been dropping and picking up the kids all weekend and this is just getting too much, every time I come home.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@roowho wrote:

The Core Location framework lets you locate the current position of the device and use that information in your app. The framework reports the device’s location to your code and, depending on how you configure the service, also provides periodic updates as it receives new or improved data.

Understood.  So if it's logic works when leaving, WT? doesn't it do the same when coming home? A fence is a fence and is off when in and on when out.  How can this go wrong?

Sorry, am venting as I've been dropping and picking up the kids all weekend and this is just getting too much, every time I come home.

I suspect the issue is how the APIs are used by Arlo developers and how they architected their app and the hardware/firmware in the devices on the other end.  The app either receives an event notification from location services or interrogates the service on some frequency to determine the location then the app needs to take appropriate action on that location information.  That action must include communication with the Arlo cloud servers which then communicate with the devices themselves.  There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle.  Too many for my uninformed speculation.

toadie73
Initiate
Initiate

here is an update.  using my iphone 8 

i tried the new update for the arlo app 2.7.10 and i have to hand it the the netgear/arlo developers they have actually succeeded in making the problem worse.  now geofencing thinks i am home all the time.  it doesnt arm even when the gps map on the app shows i am over 20 miles away.  i guess you have to burn it all down before you can build it back up again or i hope that is the case.  things are going from bad to worse with each passing update.

User72
Tutor
Tutor

@AncientGeek wrote:

@roowho wrote:

I suspect the issue is how the APIs are used by Arlo developers and how they architected their app and the hardware/firmware in the devices on the other end.  The app either receives an event notification from location services or interrogates the service on some frequency to determine the location then the app needs to take appropriate action on that location information.  That action must include communication with the Arlo cloud servers which then communicate with the devices themselves.  There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle.  Too many for my uninformed speculation.

The information in the app confirms that the devices used for geofencing are In Zone... so the information is available to the system, likewise as pointed out above, the away mode works so it’s very strange indeed...

Kennettcoleman
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also having this issue. Leaving the zone works fine, reentering does not disarm cameras.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@User72 wrote:

@AncientGeek wrote:

@roowho wrote:

The information in the app confirms that the devices used for geofencing are In Zone... so the information is available to the system, likewise as pointed out above, the away mode works so it’s very strange indeed...

Likely every action is handled with a few lines of code specific to that action, so it only takes one thing to be wrong, for one discrete element of functionality to fail.  Again...at any level...app, cloud, “device”.

MarkoD
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  Geofencing stopped working maybe two weeks ago for Arlo Pro and Arlo Q Plus.  It arms when I leave but does not disarm when I get home, even though the iOS app on my iPhone shows me as in zone.  It is very annoying.  Looking at About in the app, it says I am on version 2.7.10 (91) released 28 May 2019.  The issue pre-dates this release and the release hasn’t fixed the problem.

JMSchur
Tutor
Tutor

Chat is indeed a waste of time. After going around in circles with a chat agent the other day, he said he was going to elevate the issue to the next level. He then asked for my ISP and my up/download speeds. I told him I have Verizon FIOS, and that I typically get 500 Mbps, or more, both up and down. He then said that to "elevate" the matter he needed exact speed readings and proceeded to tell me how to run a test. That's when I hit the END Chat button. 

csse
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just an update! I got it to work. Deleted all my modes, created new one and assigned it to the one it didn’t want to switch to. Two iphones running latest app version 2.7.10.
JaNeiJo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't know if this helps others, but:

I tried to log out/force quit app, then start app/log in again (yesterday after IOS update 2.7.10), and geofencing have now been working fine for me last 24h. Home Modus is disarming cameras as it should when i get home.

Don't know if this is the final solution for everyone, but maby it's worth a try for now...

(...or maby it's just a temporary lucky day for me)  😉 

Arlo Pro 2 (Base firmware 1.12.2.1_2798) / iPhone XS Max / iOS 12.3

Greck
Guide
Guide

This afternoon I went to the store with my Gefencing turned on and it armed like it should. It looks like it also disarmed when I returned home. So it may be working now. I usually do not remember to check it when I return until I see a bunch of alters showing me walking around. 

Someone else should try this and see see if they are getting the same results. It may be fixed...  

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary
Just in
Greck
Guide
Guide

Thanks

BrianP53
Star
Star
I stated this complaint about a week ago, have just returned home after being away for a day overnight and geofencing is now recognising returning home and disarming the cameras. Fingers crossed this stays working!!!!
Thank you Arlo support if you have fixed this
Rowehc
Initiate
Initiate
Mine has also started working today. Hopefully it’s a permanent fix
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

update. See attachment for screen shot

Our team has resolved the geofencing capability that was impacted during a service disruption that occurred May 24, 2019. Arlo’s geofencing feature is now working as expected. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while our team restored this feature.

If geofencing is still not working for you as expected, please visit the Arlo Community to provide more details on your specific issue so that our team may further investigate.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

roowho
Tutor
Tutor

I worked around the geofence issue for the Q device with IFTT arming when leaving and disarming when home.  I left the Base with Arlo's Geofence to see if / when it ever worked...  IFTT worked a treat for Q.

However, I noticed on my first test for the workaround that the Base DID WORK with Arlo's Geofence when coming home.

Email just in from Arlo team apologized stating it "was impacted during a service disruption that occurred May 24, 2019. Arlo’s geofencing feature is now working as expected."

Phew!  Good luck all

Sharong925
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue!
When I leaving my home it doesn’t change the mode to “away mode” but when I return home it dose change to “home mode”’. I don’t know what is the problem but I have the same issue too and this is sooo annoying to change it manually each time when I leaving my home .
dhung
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roowho wrote:

Email just in from Arlo team apologized stating it "was impacted during a service disruption that occurred May 24, 2019. Arlo’s geofencing feature is now working as expected."

well, I'm still having the same problem with Geofencing here in Australia (QLD) after manaully reboot both Base stations. (Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2)

Steve-M
Star
Star

@shoustonnz wrote:

update. See attachment for screen shot

Our team has resolved the geofencing capability that was impacted during a service disruption that occurred May 24, 2019. Arlo’s geofencing feature is now working as expected. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while our team restored this feature.

If geofencing is still not working for you as expected, please visit the Arlo Community to provide more details on your specific issue so that our team may further investigate.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Great news, and I would need to ask...is this announcement public?  Where did you get it from?  If they knew there was a problem on 24 May, why wouldn’t they post an announcement on their website or in the forums.  They could’ve even sent out a newsletter or announcement to all register folks via email.  The info would have made its way around quickly enough.  Rather than withholding this info from the public until it was resolved.  It is quite apparent that the Arlo Team needs to improve their internal and external communicatin methods.  Heck, from what I’ve read their support staff had no idea there was an issue either (phone and chat).  Or, they were told to play dumb and pretend everything is working and the issue is on the users end.   

Now to test it to to see if it works for me today.

Gregav8
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still not disarming for me... hopefully they keep working on it!
RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine is working now. I did reboot the hub. Did you?
Adrian1234
Guide
Guide

@RSC1 wrote:
Mine is working now. I did reboot the hub. Did you?

Mine is also working again. I have no hub and didn't do anything.

TeraByte25
Tutor
Tutor
Same here, i received an update on the iOS app and since then it seems to work again!