Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Mike511
Tutor
Tutor

Just had the latest Arlo update 2.6 on 16 October, working on on iOS12.1. Geofencing working perfectly before, now all I have is unavailable. Tried everything on this subject from previous posts and no joy. 

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have a screenshot of this? What device are you using?

Mike511
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Shayne, here is the screenshot. I am using an iPhoneX and iPad Pro, but only the iPhone is set for Geofencung along with my wife’s iPhoneX

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I have an iPhone XS and my wife has an iPhone X.  Geofencing works for us on 2.6.0, but I have always had a problem with it that I believe is related to the location services setting.  Even though I set it up to allow Arlo to “always” use our locations, I have found it only seems to work when the Arlo app is actually running.  If my device ceases to register location properly I check it to be sure Arlo is running.  Same for my wife’s phone.

I also wish the system would leave the location assumption set to whatever it was the last time the system “knew” the location of the device.  It seems to default to “home” if the device location is unknown...which usually results in disarming the system or partially arming it depending on how one has it set up.  

When it works well, I think the Arlo system of allowing geofencing coupled with schedules, is the best location based rule system on the market.  It is very flexible.  I wish we could have multiple schedules on a device or base station.  To accomplish that I had to use two base stations and partition my interior and exterior cameras on different base stations, so I could have different schedules for those camera groups when I’m home.

Mike511
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. I tried all of what you said initially and was unsuccessful. So I persevered a little bit. Deleted and re-downloaded the App. Turned off Location Services for Arlo. Opened the App. Accessed Geofencing, and the warning came up to say the Location Services must be set to "Always". Back to Location Services, switched to "Always". Back to Geofencing. My Phone was now showing "Out of Zone" which is correct, but my wife's was not. Asked her to open the app, at the same time I had it open, and it all started working again. Lets see how long it lasts.

And I do agree with you about the Arlo Geofencing Rule system, excellent. I intended to get the Indoor cameras, but where I live I can only get a basic subscription, nothing else. (I bought 6 cameras, and now I have one spare camera). So have opted for a different system for indoors, and just the Arlo for Outdoors.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

A work-around to the camera limit is to set up a separate account and attach a second system to the second account...then share the cameras back and forth.  Less convenient management, but it works.  I had to use it because I exceeded the 15 camera limit for a paid plan ... and I wanted to use my iPhone and iPad at the same time on some occasions and the app won’t allow dual logins on the same account.

enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm going to skip the pleasantries because none are deserved. Geofencing is HOPELESS. Running Arlo Pro, all updated. Android Arlo app 2.6.2-22800. Smartphone runs Android 7, which is the latest release for my phone for now. Locations are allowed and battery optimisation off for the Arlo app. Geofencing doesn't deactivate Arlo. VERY frustrating. WHY CAN'T ARLO ENGINEERING JUST GET THE FEATURE RIGHT??? Used to work, and then didn't work and then worked again... What a pile of junk Arlo is... I'm done being nice.
SBOGAERT
Aspirant
Aspirant
Geofencing is not working for a year now, for me. Any updates? When can we expect a fix (obviously issue with soft.).
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @SBOGAERT

What is the issue you are you experiencing when using Geofencing?