Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Extending Arlo Pro base with non Pro base, no local storage.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tish86
Tutor
Tutor

I just purchased the Arlo Pro 4 camera setup and it appears I needed to buy an extra basestation to place in my garage to gain access to my outside cameras. I went to Walmart and found a steal, I found a Arlo gen 1 with a base for $79.99. I set everything up but I just noticed I can't record to local storage because they are connected to the gen 1 base, is there someting I'm doing wrong? I figured if the Pro base was the host all the recording would still work. Also what else am I missing besides local storage and siren if I use most of my Pro cameras on a non Pro base?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You are not doing anything wrong...

The PRO BASE will only do local record via usb with the cameras sync'ed to it

Since regular Arlo Base does not have the local record option, any cameras sync'ed to it do not have this feature.

What you also lose is the Siren, as the siren and usb record are physically on the PRO Base...audio will still work with a PRO cam on the regular Arlo Base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You are not doing anything wrong...

The PRO BASE will only do local record via usb with the cameras sync'ed to it

Since regular Arlo Base does not have the local record option, any cameras sync'ed to it do not have this feature.

What you also lose is the Siren, as the siren and usb record are physically on the PRO Base...audio will still work with a PRO cam on the regular Arlo Base

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Is there no way to move the Pro base closer to the outdoor cameras so that all 4 cameras can work off the pro base?

If not. then move the pro base to the area where local recording is most important.

When you sync the cameras for the first time you sync them to the relevant base using the documented procedure.

If you have them on the wrong base, then go into the app. remove the device from the wrong base and then resync it with the correct base.

The only thing you are missing is siren and local recording..

steve_t
Master Master
Master

That's pretty much it. Local storage and siren.

Are you not able to move your pro base station closer to the centre of the house? Perhaps with a range extender or powerline kit? Probably a lot easier just to have one base station if you can

Tish86
Tutor
Tutor

I have a smaller house but Wifi is no friend by any means, I need to have both base stations in order to get all 5 cameras decent coverage without a basestation hanging out the window. I'll keep the Pro base inside and I will put the non pro base outside in the detached garage and figure out if I really need local storage since Netgear gives us 7 days up to 1gb. Thank you all for the help, hopefully Netgear will enable the USB ports on the non Pro basestation and make this eaiser. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tish86 wrote:

Netgear gives us 7 days up to 1gb.

hopefully Netgear will enable the USB ports on the non Pro basestation and make this eaiser. 

Re #1 above, tho the 1GB limit is mentioned, it hasn't been enforced for over a year now....

Re #2 above,  I wouldn't hold your breath, TBMK, there are no plans... PS,  I don't think the processor in the Arlo base is powerful enough to support this

Tish86
Tutor
Tutor

So if I use local storage will my Arlo bypass uploading video to the cloud and save bandwidth? 

Streak2
Master Master
Master
No.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tish86 wrote:

So if I use local storage will my Arlo bypass uploading video to the cloud and save bandwidth? 

No as mentioned...

With local storage active, the recorded videos go to the LIBRARY AND LOCAL Storage at the same time.

The only time it will only go local is if the internet is interupted.... Also any videos on the local record WILL NOT be sent to the cloud when internet comes back.

Tish86
Tutor
Tutor

They should really allow us to omit Cloud in general if we are allowed to use local sotrage. I also noticed when Live viewing the camera while on Wifi, it uploads the video to a server and the back down again. I figured it would be a direct connection. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

go here and look for your request... give it kudos ... more kudos more likely to happen

If not found , enter it

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange