Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Applegeuse
Star
Star
I had an issue the other day where I had to sign into the app over and over. Support reccomended uninstall and reinstall the app. That fixed the sign in issue... now everytime the app makes a notification I get it twice. Its plays the notification sound twice, vibrates twice, and shows 2 notifications in the pull down for one event.... I have a Samsung S8 Android.
76 REPLIES 76
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Applegeuse,

Have you tried rebooting your device? Are you still experiencing the issue?

JamesC

Applegeuse
Star
Star
Yes I have rebooted my device. Still continued to receive the double notifications. As an extra troubleshooting step I uninstalled the app once again, reinstalled and now I get three notifications.

Fairly certain it has something to do with the actual data file the app saves. Could anyone tell me where it can be completely deleted from the phone vs just an uninstall? This seems to be residual from each uninstall.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Applegeuse,

Try rebooting your base station. If you're still experiencing the issue, try disabling push notifications within your rules, save, then enable push notifications and save again.

Do you still see the issue?

JamesC

Applegeuse
Star
Star
Base station has been reset, notifications in each rule have been turned off/saved, re-enabled/saved and still recieving 3 notifications.
Ozog1
Tutor
Tutor
Hello
I am having the same exact issue with the double notifications. Sometimes it's triple or quadruple notification alert when it should only have been one notification alert. Seems To have started since the last update. Hopefully this glitch or bug gets resolved soon because it's quite annoying when my phone goes crazy on a single event.
Thanks
Ozog1
Tutor
Tutor
And yes, I've done all the troubleshooting steps above with no results.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Give this a try:

Turn off all notifications in the app.

Go into web browser interface and make sure notifications are turned off in there as well.

Log out of the web interface and log out of the app as well. (don't just close the app, actually log out)

Uninstall the arlo app.

Restart your phone.

Restart your base.

Install the arlo app.

No idea if this will help, but worth a try.

Justjames
Aspirant
Aspirant
I dont know why but after my s8 did there multiple updates in the last 2 weeks this double notification has been a issue with my arlo system as well. Did all the reboot trouble shoot played with all notifications
Applegeuse
Star
Star
Yes it seems to coincide with the android update to the S8. Whatever you do don't uninstall and reinstall the arlo app until Arlo gets to looking into the issue. It will just add to the amount of notifications you will receive.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I have an S8. I also was updated to Android 8.0.0 (oreo) and Samsung Experience 9.0 recently and my notifications from arlo are working fine. I only get one push notification when motion is detected.

If you go into settings, apps, arlo, notifications how is yours set? I have it turned on, app icon badges on, allow sound on, on lock screen show content, and do not disturb custom experience off.

Also under settings, apps, arlo I have apps that appear on top on, and apps that change system settings off.

If your setup the same way, what happens if you turn notifications off in settings, notifications for the arlo app?

Applegeuse
Star
Star
Yes I have been thru all of the new settings. I can turn notifications off completely from inside the app, or from the setting in android itself for individual apps. Ut no matter what I do at this point if I turn them on I get 3 notifications which is also the number of times I've uninstalled/reijstalled the app. I prefer to have notifications on.
My issue started from constantly needing to sign in everytime I opened the app. Arlo support suggested I reinstall the app. I did and immediately started getting 2 notifications. I am willing to bet if you uninstall and reinstall the app you will receive double notifications as well. Through troubleshooting I again uninstalled/reinstalled and began getting 3 notifications. I'm sure there is residual information the app leaves inside android OS that is not being cleared with and uninstall. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me where each folder for the app is stored in the android OS so I can RIP it out completely. This seems to be only an issue if you uninstall/reinstall the app after the S8 Oreo update.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Since I didn't have any of the recent issues that others had (base offline, session time out), I think I'll pass on the uninstall/reinstall Smiley Happy

If it's a bug in the arlo app with anyone who has android 8 hopefully Arlo fixes the bug soon.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Any new news on this? 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are a couple of other threads on this in which I engaged. I actually got up to thirteen notifications for a single event. One thing I had done was a bunch of uninstall and reinstall on the app trying to fix this mess. I opened a ticket and went back and forth with Support over about a week. It was a bust. I had gone through evrything possible except bricking my phone and starting over. I have a Samsung S8+ that recently had the OS upgraded to 8.0.0. I tried and tried to explain to Netgear that there was some incapatibility with Oreo and the S8 and their app. My carrier told me it had to be the app since it was not happening with any other app, and Samsung pretty much told me the same thing. Netgear told me my phone was probably defective. Then, again that same support person asked for a picture or a clip to help diagnose the problem with multiple notifications  (what?) ... regardless that I repeatedly told them it was not affecting my wife's iOS device or my Android tablet with a different OS.

The coincidence is an Arlo app update about the same time as the change in the OS to Oreo. After days of trouble shooting and restarts, I still had the issue and the number of notifications was growing. Support was more annoying with their questions and advice, than helpful.

So I decided to do the thing I was avoiding the most. I backed up my phone, and factory reset it. This is a pain. Especially just to attempt to fix the one and only app that acts insane in that operational environment.

But it fixed it.

Even with the most recent app push update from Arlo it remains cured. But I will not ever manually reload that app again. Ever. Arlo there is something about Android 8.0.0 and maybe S8's and your app that just is not copasetic, regarding notifications.

I hate giving anyone the advice of factory resetting their phone. It worked for me, but ...

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for that update. I've dealth with Arlo (Netgear) Support before and unfortunately they're terrible. If you open a ticket with them, it just changes hands over and over. You never deal with the same rep. 

Regardless of what they say, this is 100% the Arlo app. I JUST got my new phone and its all set up exactly as I want it... but alas, if the fix is to factory reset and NEVER uninstall, reinstall again... I guess that will have to do...

Applegeuse
Star
Star
I'd rather sell the Arlo equipment and get nest before I factory reset my phone due to support not being able to fix their app.
Ozog1
Tutor
Tutor
I will stop promoting this product until they fixed this issue. Its pretty ridiculous that Arlo customers have to factory reset their phone in order for the Arlo app to work correctly. I have a solution, fix the app and make it compatible with the S8.
nytech
Tutor
Tutor

Someone else posted this but I wanted to repeat it. 

Do NOT uninstall and reinstall if you're having this problem, it will continue to add to problem. I am currently at three notifications for everytime motion is detected. 

I agree with everyone else here, its pretty **bleep**ty that Netgear is blaming Android... this is CLEARLY an issue with the Arlo App.

I can't not use this as I've got a decent amount of money invested in this system, but it is incredibly sad that they're wiping their hands clean of this issue.  

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
By the way, I would like to mention to JamesC and Arlo that Android 8.0.0 was rolled out by carriers on non Pixel phones to Samsung S8 and S8+ first. This may not just be an Oreo/S8/ problem with the app. When Oreo begins to hit other phones this could spread significantly. I definitely can confirm that each and every time you uninstall and reinstall the app it leaves a residual additive notification. Just wiping cache and data from the app does NOT fix it. The only fix I found was a total factory reset. Of the phone. The next app update I let Google push and that was without consequence. The issue is doing an uninstall and reinstall manually it seems. Every time this reinstall is suggested as a fix for another (or this) problem for a certain group of customers the problem will exacerbate.
jimli128
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got the same problem on my Sony Xperia XZ. Android version 8.0.0.

Right now I have 3 notifications for each camera. It is terrible.

So it is not Samsung specific...

nytech
Tutor
Tutor

I've created a really short notification tone, 0:005 I think is the length, its a single quick "knock" I hope this helps folks out. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvgbcdea0ze7z79/Sm-Knock.mp3?dl=0

Speedy4ever
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep receiving multiple I mean 7 notifications from Arlo motion detecting how can I solve this problem
Speedy4ever
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep receiving multiple I mean 7 notifications from Arlo motion detecting how can I solve this problem