Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the arlo pro base station have built in wifi?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jgutta420
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm wondering is the arlo pro base station have built in wifi. In other words, if my internet goes out will the cameras still record? I know I can put an sd card in the base station for videos to be recorded to so can the cameras record to it without internet?

If not that is pretty stupid. Especially from a company who's made their living on routers and modems. You'd think they'd build that in. Even the cheap 4 camera chinese ip cam systems on ebay that you can buy for $159 have built in routers for camera to sync to. You can't view live but it still detects and records motion while offline. If these expensive cameras can't do that then it might be a deal breaker for me. If the internet goes out or if someone cuts the power then they are useless. Nothing more than paper weights.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base sets up its own wifi network just for the cameras...with the newer Pro and Pro2 bases you have available a usb backup for a speed stick or hard drive. ( up to 2 TB , fat 32 format )

So if you have set up the backup drive on the newer bases and the internet goes out, the cameras will continue to record to the usb backup. ( as long as you have power ).( normally it will record to the cloud and the usb drive at the same time )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base sets up its own wifi network just for the cameras...with the newer Pro and Pro2 bases you have available a usb backup for a speed stick or hard drive. ( up to 2 TB , fat 32 format )

So if you have set up the backup drive on the newer bases and the internet goes out, the cameras will continue to record to the usb backup. ( as long as you have power ).( normally it will record to the cloud and the usb drive at the same time )

Morse is faster than texting!
Jgutta420
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
storage_man
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wish I would of know this before I bought that nice Netgear WIFI Extender !  Doesn't help that camera at all, but It did wonders for my Ring Door bell.  Oh well.