Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Keniofdavalley
Follower
Follower
The app says “database service is currently down” and could not connect to my cameras
377 REPLIES 377
Hooge5
Guide
Guide
Unbelievable that there’s no communication from Arlo on this forum or anything letting people know the status & what’s going on!
spurriousgod
Initiate
Initiate

I haven't been able to access my Arlo from a web browser (tried Chrome and Firefox) for over 24 hours now.  When I try to log in it claims that I'm already logged in on a different browser or tab.  I'm definitely not.  I can still access my camera through my android phone app - but I need to be able to access it from a browser as well.

It's great that the Arlo cloud service is included in the cost of the hardware - but it's worthless if the service is down, or super buggy.  Guess you get what you pay for...

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@vannerphamwrote:
Wow....looks like they are trying to avoid a PR nightmare. No security company wants to acknowledge that they have been down for days. I had a scare this in the middle of the night. When I go to check cameras they are offline?!

Netgear isn't a security company. Smiley Happy

Cameras alone are not a security system. I realize they try to sell people on the idea that they are, but cameras really should be used to add to or enhance a full home secrity system that monitors all doors, windows, glass breaking, motion. Something like adt or simplisafe, plus cameras is the way to go.

I use simplisafe, smartthings, and arlo cameras to be fully secure.

That said......... here is what this site shows, not sure how up to date it is:

http://downdetector.com/status/arlo/map/

Also try the reset base procedure and add all your cameras back. Worked for some people. Where I am, it never went down, so not sure if other server are still down or having issues or not.

leaderbuilder
Tutor
Tutor

Second time in two weeks that service is offline for over 24 hours!! Just crazy.

Guess I'll have to investigate other solutions and change my recommendations to all my clients family and friends.

Feel really hosed by the company

Pitty, I had really high hopes, but the lack of communications and service is just astounding.

nav3822
Initiate
Initiate

Hi Everyone, this worked for me, but it is a P.I.T.A as you need to reconfigure your whole environment. They probably did some kind of update to something which broke it for some people. I have a friend with a newer base station (not sure of firmware), but he was working fine.

leaderbuilder
Tutor
Tutor

I did try resetting everything and to no avail - it is the ONLINE service that is down.

Oh by the way, not a complete neophyte. I have been in technology for 30+  years (as Net &Sys Admin, CTO, CTO) and configured and installed many an IP camera system.

This is a cloud/service issue and the company seems woefully inept at diagnosing, let alone resolving the issue.

Heck if they were to at least communicate it might be better.

And it's not a 'some people' thing - it's a great many. There are other forums with people reporting same problems.

I have three family members across 3 states with the same issue.

Marilyn714
Tutor
Tutor

I have not been able to access web browser either, Firefox, since at least 8am Chicago time 3-15. I get same response as you, signed in to another browser, blah, blah, blah. Can access android app, I had a few breaks when I could view live, even look at some recorded items, but was very brief, early am. I have 2 indoor arlo q, and 2 arlo pro wireless outdoors.

Wireless show offline, can not look at recordings on the arlo q's. Tried everything suggested here, pin reset, unplugged, etc,etc.  It is shocking no news from Netgear, this and last week have been the only times I've experienced any problems.

But have only had them for a year now, truly hope this is not a new trend.

Out in Chicago since first noticed 8am 3-15

lbonaviso
Guide
Guide

I somehow got my system back up and running, no thanks to Arlo "Support".

I cleared the cache in ALL my browsers. (Got me back into the login screen)

I reinstalled the app on my phone. (I most likely didn't need to do this. Did it mainly to say I did to it whenever I get around to dealing with Tech Support, because of the preditable scripts they read.)

I turn the power to the bay station off for a minute and then turned it back on.

I pushed the Factory Default button for 10 seconds.

I deleted the Bay Station from my account.

I re-added the bay station back into my account.

And then I went about re-syncing my cameras. (Some of them required a ladder to get to.)

After all that, I got the system back up and running.

I'm sure a lot of us spent hundreds of dollars for this camera setup. We shouldn't have to deal with mistakes caused by the company we're paying. Tech Support was preditably useless. The fact that you have to pay extra to even call someone pretty much tells me they're doing everything they can to avoid customers. You'd think they would put in the simple work of announcing maintenance and warning that the service would be disrupted like any other typical company. Maybe I should work at Arlo/Netgear. Must be nice having a job where you just sit around and hope the problem goes away.

Hwyrebel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup, me too again experiencing the "Down Arlo Net". So sorry I bought this system as I've said before. In my house, my internet is up and I cannot view a live picture because the ......ing Arlo net is down again. Such a rip off system and believe me I let people know at Any store I'm in where this is sold.

jimbullet
Star
Star

So, sounds like we need to reset/ reboot - has everyone that has done this so far been suceesful? it is a PITA.

arpr1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jimbullet

Assuming a simple reboot of your modem/router/base station hasn't resolved your issue...I don't know if removing the base station and then re-adding the base station/cameras will fix for everyone but I haven't really seen any other solutions

lbonaviso
Guide
Guide

Those solutions managed to work for me. If they don't for everyone, then I wouldn't be surprised if they sent out an update that literally killed their system. The customer may have to demand a replacement.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
For those having issues with the web based GUI I I followed the instructions in post 72 of this thread and it fixed my GUI access. Reloaded the Android app also just to make sure.
jimbullet
Star
Star

After almost 3 days back on online in New Zealand.

I have followed a post earlier like this

Turn off base station 

On my browser on the PC, I deleted the base station.

Turned on base station after 1 minute and push reset button then I get one amber light which goes to  2 green lights _ power and internet were working,  I added the base station on my PC.

Then resync each camera (strangely the names of the camera still remained but the settings in the modes had to be re-entered as they went back to default from factory)

I did not remove the phone app - clearly was the base station to Netgear server issue. I think this is a trick to change you into their new server - maybe but it works. 

Looks like this is the only solution.

Shpblder
Star
Star
A question or two did you delete the cameras from your app also did you delete everything off your computer as well just curious that included I guess the base station on your computer and on your cell phone
eclong
Aspirant
Aspirant

To those who are can't login and get a message about closing a browser...but could connect through phones, tablet, etc.

I had that problem when I tried to login on my PC using Chrome yesterday.   Both the community forum and Arlo tech support said to clear out my browser cache.  I tried to clear the cache using what I thought was the way and it did not work but JimC in the community forum kindly gave detailed instructions on clearing out the cache which is in this thread from yesterday.   When I applied his instructions, my PC could connect and everthing worked as before.   Checked it throughout yesterday and today, and its working fine.   If you see that kind of message when logging in, definitely clear your cache and use the instructions provided by the community forum from yesterday.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well iam starting to get pissed all that was brought up to fix problem doesnt work, what I would like to know is where is all the mods and admins at during this? Why havent they came in and informed us what is going on? This whole thing has become BS.

Shpblder
Star
Star
clearing a cache and getting it on my computer is not a problem however when I look at it on my computer I hit the status try to find the status of the base station and it keeps saying getting status also I noticed on my computer even though I get live feeds I do not have a camera mode or a record mode that is workable also can't get my app to work at all I have deleted the app and reinstall but still no change as far as saying internet not available
jimbullet
Star
Star

@Shpblderwrote:
A question or two did you delete the cameras from your app also did you delete everything off your computer as well just curious that included I guess the base station on your computer and on your cell phone

When I deleted the base - the cameras were gone automatically and had to resync

jimbullet
Star
Star

I tried to clear the cache several times and sadly - a fail.

Last resort was to delete the base and restart from fresh

jimbullet
Star
Star

@jimbulletwrote:

@Shpblderwrote:

When I deleted the base - the cameras were gone automatically and had to resync

oh I did say I pressed the reset button on the base too. That would have removed the cameras probably and restored to factory reset

jimbullet
Star
Star

When I deleted the base - I deleted from the PC and not from the app, I didnt look at the app while I was resetting the system but after that, the app was showing how I had resetted the system 

jimbullet
Star
Star

@Shpblderwrote:
clearing a cache and getting it on my computer is not a problem however when I look at it on my computer I hit the status try to find the status of the base station and it keeps saying getting status also I noticed on my computer even though I get live feeds I do not have a camera mode or a record mode that is workable also can't get my app to work at all I have deleted the app and reinstall but still no change as far as saying internet not available

I had this earlier and I believe it is the connection between base and server at Netgear. The only solution that worked for me after 3 days, turn off, reset and remove base from your account and add new device base and start from afresh.

jimbullet
Star
Star

Next question for those better in tech.

Is there a way to opt out of any of these updates and be less reliant on Netgear? My video recordings, well I have a USB stick plugged to it so can go local if required, but is there a way to have all controls on the base and not the server?

lbonaviso
Guide
Guide

Yeah. I would love it, if it was just a local system. I don't care for that whole Cloud thing.