Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Keniofdavalley
Follower
Follower
The app says “database service is currently down” and could not connect to my cameras
377 REPLIES 377
CptDirty
Guide
Guide

@Susaneliza I can't blame you. The whole point of Arlo is peace of mind. I have told friends and family to look into Arlo and their various products. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how long it takes them to fix this issue. A security Camera system must have a 99.99% uptime. Someone wrote that this is the 2nd time it happens in the last 3 years and the first outage of Arlo lastet 15 hours? Let's see how long this one lasts....

However if this thing is not fixed within a reasonable and acceptable time, then there's no way in good concious that I will be telling people to go with an unreliable camera security system to monitor their valuables and residence. Might as well go with a local recording solution that isn't dependent on a cloud service to FUNCTION! Nowadays don't even have to wire those local recording cameras as some are RF with their DVR that has 1TB storage loll....

Wrench69
Tutor
Tutor

Getting this message- Database currently down. And cameras are offline. I only have access to the library. I saw where this happened in November 2017. Is this same thing happening again. Is it something I can fix or does it need to come from Arlo/Netgear? This is model VMB4000 Arlo Pro

Plumb2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm unable to alarm my system as it says arlo service is down??
kikstand
Guide
Guide

See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Database-service-is-currently-down/m-p/1520788#M32395

It's all related. Server is down we assume. Lots of people having this issue across the world.

kikstand
Guide
Guide
BretD
Community Manager

Re: Database service is currently down...
Dear Arlo customer,

We are aware of an issue where our ARLO customers are temporarily unable to login into their account. ARLO team is actively working to restore this feature as soon as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Stay tuned!

Best regards,
The Arlo Team
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@CptDirtywrote:

@Susaneliza I can't blame you. The whole point of Arlo is peace of mind. I have told friends and family to look into Arlo and their various products. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how long it takes them to fix this issue. A security Camera system must have a 99.99% uptime. Someone wrote that this is the 2nd time it happens in the last 3 years and the first outage of Arlo lastet 15 hours? Let's see how long this one lasts....

However if this thing is not fixed within a reasonable and acceptable time, then there's no way in good concious that I will be telling people to go with an unreliable camera security system to monitor their valuables and residence. Might as well go with a local recording solution that isn't dependent on a cloud service to FUNCTION! Nowadays don't even have to wire those local recording cameras as some are RF with their DVR that has 1TB storage loll....

So the .01% that it's down would include any internet or power outages then right?

The reason I ask is because I have had the internet and power go out at a higher percentage than one of these Netgear outages.

I think you and many others on here are over-reacting. Especially many on here who just complain because they can't get a live view of their dog or cat in the kitchen and want their money back.

I would bet you that the "majority" and that would be around 90% of the owners do not have a UPS backup, so believe me when I tell you that they are going to not have access to the system if their power goes out, and the chance of that happening is far greater than this isolated Netgear outage.

kikstand
Guide
Guide
BretD
Community Manager

Re: Database service is currently down...
Dear Arlo customer,

We are aware of an issue where our ARLO customers are temporarily unable to login into their account. ARLO team is actively working to restore this feature as soon as possible.

Stay tuned!

Best regards,
The Arlo Team
Soulman1963
Tutor
Tutor

This is exactly what I conveyed...and I said, If I get robbed or hurt, im going to sue. This happens a lot, and we shouldnt have to try and figure this out, what they should have done was send us all and email saying we have an issue. 

But you wont get an email "Unless" you call and get a Case Number

MV_sailor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having the same problems this morning.  Seems intermittent.  At times I can get into my base station.  Other times when I log in it comes up in a brain dead state and says the Database service is currently down.  Try again.  

I have reset the base station, all LEDs are green.  Everything seems OK on the customer premises end....

AngeloM
Arlo Employee Retired

We are aware of an issue where our Arlo customers are temporarily unable to login into their account. The Arlo team is actively working to restore this feature as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please stay tuned.

CptDirty
Guide
Guide

@I_See_U 

You wrote: 

"I'd take them back if you are going to really rely on them. If it's just a second system for you or not a huge deal that you lose coverage then I'd keep them."

The thing is, a majority of Arlo's customers have already made the jump and are well beyond the return policy (30 days after purchase) with the retailer they got the system from. Myself included. Additionally, the entire point of Arlo is a wire-free camera that records movements and sends notifications when that happens. This is literally what it is advertised as among other things the service offers to appeal to those who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on centralized systems and installation costs. That is the appeal of Arlo....

Just because Arlo isn't a "professional centralized system" doesn't mean they can drop the ball this badly for their tens of thousands of customers if not hundreds...I installed the Arlo Pro to notify me of intruders since I live in a not-so-pretty neighbourhood to give me sufficient time to call the authorities in case of a break in and to be able to potentially scare the intruders off with the Base Station's alarm....

Long story short, can't return the product and can't have downtime like this happening....

emcbee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unable to disarm my system this morning. After hours of troubleshooting finally got the database message. Unable to see a live feed on any of my mobile devices and not one camera comes up when I log in on a computer. Tried to send a message to support and the website kicks me out in the middle of typing everytime. I'm sure they are aware, but this is bull**bleep** when their business is security.

Does look like there was an app update at some point this morning. I would assume that is what caused this.

Sounds like from everyones comments that this is a common occurance with Arlo? I'm a fairly new user and this is the first issue I have had with them.

brh
Master
Master

This is the first major outage in the 2 !/2 years I have had this system. There is nothing we can do about it right now so everyone needs to just chill and let them fix the problem

Brian

sn0wballz
Star
Star

Yeah right now no one can log in to their Arlo account to manage their system but it is being worked on.

whitenack
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the same boat.  Just tagging myself on the thread so I can follow the updates.

Imagallan
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought the Arlo Pro 2 yesterday 03/08/2018. I had a wired connection bunkerhome security. Someone came to my property tricked my guard dogs with food cut my wires to my cameras and went buck on my property. So I go spend 800 bucks on what I thought was the most high tech camera system and on day 2 the servers are down. So. Now I’m at work didn’t feel comfortable leaving my house this morning now I feel even worst knowing my home is a sitting duck. So please Arlo step up. If my home gets broken into again this was absolutely a giant waste of money
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of an issue where our ARLO customers are temporarily unable to login into their account. ARLO team is actively working to restore this feature as soon as possible.

For updates on this issue, please see here: Arlo Service Down - Temporarily Unable to Login

JamesC

calezus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good tip. Thanks!

@dharris1300wrote:
It does. You just have to have a USB plugged into it. I keep one in my so ianytine internet at home is down it will still record. Just pull the stick and put in your computer and everything is there.

lmachado
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue.  Also getting "getting status" on app.

BBroth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base Station and Database still down in Missouri. I can log in but I can't get my camera turned on.
I_See_U
Tutor
Tutor

@CptDirty

Oh I know, I am well beyond my return policy as well. I was just suggesting that for user that put theirs up last night and asked if they should return them. I have sent my fair share of emails and had conversations with them about how poorly their cameras and system has been working lately and all I get is a "sorry for any inconvenience" 

Dudeman06336
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine too in southeastern PA but my cheap little Zmodo cameras work.. so much for paying a ton on Arlo and it being reliable!!
Lpres86
Aspirant
Aspirant

States database service is down.  I am located in SC.  Internet is strong, no issues with my cameras but cannot get connected on the app and cannot live stream.

Doggettall
Aspirant
Aspirant
I see that many have been experiencing this issue since very early this morning. Oddly, mine worked at some point after the other reported down times. My husband was shoveling snow and I turned off one camera because he was causing repeated alerts. It was only when I went to turn it back on that I saw that it was down. Perhaps it was fixed and went back down again?
wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Personally an outage llike this is totally unacceptable BUT seems to be the norm with many devices, services etc that need internet connectivity, servers to work.  The amount of £££ these systems are Netgear really should have a failover and also as someone said a 99% uptime for a security device is needed, if you cant provide i would argue that realistically the product isnt fit for purpose.  People react in different ways but for some to basically say whats the issue take a chill pill clearly have the Arlo's as a gimmick/gadget not a serious home security system WHICH Netgear advertise, market and sell the Arlo as just that.

I personally have a conventional alarm as well but Arlo dont state that realistically Arlo cant be relied on and you need a normal burglar alarm just in case.  I havent put all my eggs in one basket but why should those who have put up with this nonsense, Arlo need to invest money in the product, not just take it.

Along with the absolute farce with IFTTT integration i am less than impressed by a company that has had approx £1000 from me.