Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging Paused, Battery Temperature is too low

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
yhap2003
Star
Star

I thought this issue was fixed with a firmware iteration back in 2016.

It's only -9 degrees celcius in Canada today and I'm see this message on my Arlo.

"Charging Paused, Battery Temperature is too low"

Why advertise it as an outdoor camera in Canada if it can't handle the normal winter temperature?

Anyone else having this problem?

Correction, it's only -9 degrees celcius

32 REPLIES 32
cyberone3
Star
Star

i really dont' think  they read the comment

so i'll just say it again 

i have 3 ourdoor camera 1 is plugged in (outside) the other 2 are solar charged

only the solar charged connected cameras for me at least are getting the to cold message if i plugg it in to an outlet outside (with the camera still out side it wil charge) and the one camera that is plugged in doesn't get a to cold message 

mocula
Initiate
Initiate

I will wait for confirmation as I am also receiving this message, but sounds like I need to return my solar panels based on the cost of the panels and the region I live in. The cameras are great, but in terms of the solar panel and camera placement, this seems like something that should be clearly noted in online descriptions.

I will leave a comment about my purchase.

NoGoodArlo
Initiate
Initiate

I spent the money on solar panels designed for the this camera (VMA4600).  I have five solar panels and five cameras.

I feel that I have been misled with respect to the actual operating conditions of the camera. I could not find any documentation (online or supplied) that disclosed this camera's limitations of 0 degrees Celsius for charging outside (as a month ago). If I had to bring the battery inside for charging, I would not have bought these solar panels or cameras. The cameras are installed on a 100' tower. Therefore, I am not going to climb the tower, in the cold, every time the batteries need to be replaced/charged.

We need a solution! I should not have to pay for Netgear's mistake/lack of disclosure.  I need a solution to this issue or I will have to return the cameras and solar panels to have them replaced with something that is more capable.

Apprentice
Apprentice

I cant recall where but there are ads (or maybe even somewhere else on this website) where NG shows the Arlo Pro sitting in snow.

cyberone3
Star
Star

guess what i found 

Arlo Snow Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCxP06SnCIs

yhap2003
Star
Star
I don’t see I on the box either. False advertising in Canada can result in a lawsuit..

I want my money back
mocula
Initiate
Initiate

The big problem is, you buy the solar panels for placement on locations with limited access. I discussed the poblem with Amazon, I told them I didnt want to risk going back on the roof to return my panel, the best they could do was -50% off my purchase price... the discount was worth risking life or limb to return my unit.

I am not on a crusade against Arlo, but the best thing to do is be vocal, review it as you see it. The funny thing is the solar panel listing is isted under color/size option, so it is being reviewed with other arlo products which will absorb some of the bad reviews, by good reviews on a completely different product.

Apprentice
Apprentice

IMO NG cant keep pace with Nest which is backed by the unlimited capital of Google. You see NG marketing pushing enginering and product development to play catch up and cut corners. Thats why you have all the substandard products. They did a good coverup of the outdoor protector fire problem, the solar panel issue is still emerging and now you have temp issues with the AP1. Also the AP2 could be the biggest product launch blunder since the Samsung Note 7. So under the outdoor adapter recall we can get a refund but we are left hanging wth no security cam in operation as many of us specifically chose the combination of cam plus AC power as that was what was marketed to us. Also don't even let me get started on build quality issues like poor fitting batteries that some have discussed. NG chose to manufacture the cams in Vietnam which is not known for any manufacturing prowness. They might find a better way to cook a dog but thats not a country that will produce an airplane or any other sophisticated equipment in the next 1,000 years IMO.