Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging Paused, Battery Temperature is too low

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
yhap2003
Star
Star

I thought this issue was fixed with a firmware iteration back in 2016.

It's only -9 degrees celcius in Canada today and I'm see this message on my Arlo.

"Charging Paused, Battery Temperature is too low"

Why advertise it as an outdoor camera in Canada if it can't handle the normal winter temperature?

Anyone else having this problem?

Correction, it's only -9 degrees celcius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For safety reasons, your Arlo camera battery cannot charge in temperatures below 32°F (0° C).

Take a look at these articles for more information on this:

My Arlo Solar Panel is not charging my Arlo Go or Arlo Pro camera battery; what do I do?

Are Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, and Arlo Go cameras weatherproof?

Safety Rules for Arlo Pro and Arlo Go Rechargeable Batteries

JamesC

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I just posed a similar message.  Same issue here in New England.  Panel is going to be useless all winter.

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
ryanr256
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here in Ohio. Approx. 30 degrees F.

-Bob
Auduogoat
Guide
Guide
Not a happy customer here either! 27 degrees F here I. NH today and I am getting the same "chariging paused, battery too low" message. Mine are connected to the solar panel accessory for charging. Glad I wasted money on those! It's gonna get a lot colder this winter. How can these be advertised as "outdoor" cameras and rated for down to -4 F? There better be a fix for this. 29 F isn't that low of a temp! Anyone got support advise??
yhap2003
Star
Star

I have the stinking solar panel as well. Pretty much useless in the winter time.

Auduogoat
Guide
Guide
My solar panels work great and I've been happy with them. But, if the batteries stop charging below 30F it doesn't matter how you charge them.....useless! There better be a fix for this coming!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras will shut down at -4F....  that is the spec for working temp.

BUT , charging the battery is a different thing.  The li-ion cells can be damaged if charged below freezing temps. So the unit will stop any charging below around 30-32f... this is normal and designed for safety ...there is no fix for this.

For colder climates I recommend not to buy the solar panel but go with more batteries and a charge tube for this reason ( that outside the solar is non functioning below freezing due to possible cell damage.)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
yhap2003
Star
Star

I've seen your reply from the other post.
I'm affraid most of us cannot take that answer because the temperature isn't even that cold.

Where is the technical document to prove that? All batteries are different depending on how it's manufactured.
If this is a problem then Arlo "outdoor" product with battery should be banned from selling in the north american and cold climate market.

We need to hear from Netgear themself why this is happening.
In the past, this was a firmware issue.

Auduogoat
Guide
Guide
So useless in a remote vacation home where you can't go up every month or two to change batteries. Comvenient details to hide during the initial sales pitch of this product!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It only pauses charging until temps rise above 32F/0C. It doesn't do anything else and has been the same since the Pro was introduced. There's nothing new here.

Auduogoat
Guide
Guide
Horrible!
yhap2003
Star
Star

If and only if this is true with confirmation from netgear, then this should state clearly on the box and I wouldn't by this piece of crap.

Should be be allow to advertise and sell as "outdoor" in Canada and part of the US.

skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

I have been seeing the message the past few days when temps have been in the 40s.  So my panel is probably not going to charge my camera until March or April of 2018 when the temps warm up.

yhap2003
Star
Star

Netgear, we know you're looking at this.

Come out and say something rather than hiding in the cold!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

skingspan wrote:

I have been seeing the message the past few days when temps have been in the 40s.  So my panel is probably not going to charge my camera until March or April of 2018 when the temps warm up.

You're seeing the too cold to charge message at 40+F?  I haven't on two different cameras/solar panels.  Today was the first below freezing and was the first I saw the message.

crawlingeye
Tutor
Tutor

It appears the cold weather (Ontario Canada -5 Celsius) affects the IR sensitivity of one of my Arlo Pro cameras. Two days ago, when i purchased my Arlo Pro system with 2 cameras, it was +8 Celsius and my front door camera was able to pick me up approximately 5 m before my front door. Last night as well as tonight (temp -5 Celsius) i am able to walk in my front door, triggering the IR sensor causing the camera to record but way too slow to capture me walking. So on the footage all you see is the front door with no one walking through for the 6 seconds of the clip.

I took the camera down and brought it indoors to let it warm up to room temperature then brought it back outside. It worked perfectly, just like when i first installed it 2 days ago in warm weather. However, about 1 hour in -5 Celsius temperatures, tests revealed that it was delayed to activate again. I woud get the push notification but nothing would be in the footage (no one walking through). 

Strange thing is my other camera in the backyard appears to be fine, sensing and recording as it should. Only difference is the backyard camera is mounted on a wall, so no wind is hitting it from behind whereas the front door camera is suspended on an over hang where wind is hitting it from the back. I suspect that plug in power may solve this issue. Anyone else experience this ?

crawlingeye
Tutor
Tutor

Also noticed my battery power has dropped from 100% to 85% in a matter of 3 hrs..something is wrong with this camera. (latest firmware upgraded ...833)

Apprentice
Apprentice

Any update on the proper seal issue causing fires? NG warned in a solo thread on this forum but didn't provide a remedy? What are we supposed to do? If they cannot provide a remedy then I think they should provide a refund along with an additional amount for time and expense of this inconvenience.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

crawlingeye wrote:

Also noticed my battery power has dropped from 100% to 85% in a matter of 3 hrs..something is wrong with this camera. (latest firmware upgraded ...833)

Could be a bad camera but it's also possible that something is affecting the WiFi quality between the camera and base. Swap cameras around to see if the issue stays with the camera or the location.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

96708 wrote:

Any update on the proper seal issue causing fires? NG warned in a solo thread on this forum but didn't provide a remedy? What are we supposed to do? If they cannot provide a remedy then I think they should provide a refund along with an additional amount for time and expense of this inconvenience.

Not sure why this is in this thread but I think you're referring to the outdoor power supply seal issue. I'm sure there will be an announcement soon since vendors have pulled stock and made their own announcements.  You may be able to talk with the store you purchased the power supply from to see what they have to say right now.

crawlingeye
Tutor
Tutor
Camera went dead and wasn't recording anything this morning. It shows that it's not offline but walking in front of camera several times only set off notification but no recording at all. Removed battery and rebooted camera, then was working fine again (9am). Let's see how long it lasts. Other camera working perfectly under same conditions.
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

Yes I have seen this message multiple times over the past few days when temperatures were in the high 30s low 40s.  I suspect that it it is because the nighttime temperatures were below freezing and the batteries had not warmed above 32 degrees to safely charge.

cyberone3
Star
Star
Here is the funny thing I'm in the same boat but I have 2 cameras that are plugged in outside no issues charging only ones giving me that message are the other 2 on the solar charger
Auduogoat
Guide
Guide
Absolutley amazing that Arlo hasn’t bohered to comment or so anything about this yet! This has rendered the system I bought for my remote cabin in NH absolutely useless! Goes against everything Arlo advertises this for. Based on the last post it sounds like the batteries charge just fine in low temps using a power supply connected to high voltage yet, the batteries will not charge using a little safe solar panel?!? Unreal! Come on Arlo, let’s get a firmware update out there to lower the threshold and solve everyone’s problem here! Your complete silence is unacceptable!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For safety reasons, your Arlo camera battery cannot charge in temperatures below 32°F (0° C).

Take a look at these articles for more information on this:

My Arlo Solar Panel is not charging my Arlo Go or Arlo Pro camera battery; what do I do?

Are Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Q, Arlo Q Plus, and Arlo Go cameras weatherproof?

Safety Rules for Arlo Pro and Arlo Go Rechargeable Batteries

JamesC