Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot stop notifications

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got a 4 camera Arlo pro. Set up and adjustment of the cameras as far as detection and image went fine. My problem is I do not want to push notifications or have email alerts at all to 1 or 2 cameras. I want to use them to check on my pets from time to time during the day. When I go to edit rule screen for the cameras I check when motion is detected, then I check do nothing,  then it will not allow me to uncheck both push notifications  email alerts at the same time. The save button in the top right corner is grey not green when they are both unchecked and as a result will not respond or allow it to be saved. If I close the screen it defaults back to the previous setting. I have a iphone 7 with ios 10.3.2

I think there must be a bug in the firmware for IOS

I called customer support  but the person was nice but the translation/comprehension was lacking. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yer trying too hard.  Any camera without a rule is automatically disarmed.  Any time slot in the schedule without a mode is disarmed.  Don't try to set a camera up to do nothing - just don't create a rule.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Are you trying to do that in a custom mode or in ARMED?

You could create a custom mode and set everything as you go. Otherwise, try accessing the interface via a web browser like Chrome or Firefox as opposed to your app

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

The firmware has a problem. Same as in armed I CANNOT create a new mode it will not save it unless I select one or the other, push notification or email. If this cannot be fixed I need to return this system. Go get an iphone 7 with the latest IOS and try it yourself.

If I cannot use the app to control the system it is worthless to me. It is the only reason I got it in ther first palce, If the App worked it would be easy to turn this on and of when I come and go several times a day. Going to a browser to control the syatemis unacceptable to me.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I can't say I regularly go into my camera rules and change whether I'm getting notifications or not. I normally do this with a mode change. So if a browser is needed right now just to change this, perhaps due to a bug in the app currently (which will get fixed for sure), is it that much of a deal breaker for you? I can't even promise you the browser will work, however, I have just tried it and it works for me

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to use the cameras  to check on my pets from time to time during the day. I have a dog that  spends the  day looking out the windows or door glass, (comes in and out or moves around the mud room  where I want/put an indoor camera). I got about 100 notification in two hours  then changed to email and got 100 emails. If the system cannot turn this off it is a problem. It should take just a few seconds to change the settings in the app. At night I lock the interior door to the mudroom that has 2 doors to the exterior. I want to record any motion at this camera but I have an alarm and need no notifications when I am at home. I do not know how the system works as far as firmware updates but I got my system yesterday and when I started it up it updated the firmware.  Is firmware updating automatic? Does everybody  have the latest update? Mine does not work as you describe. Ease of use was the reason I got the system.  If I cannot use the system to monitor my pets without notifications/email it is a problem.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Just answered the same problem in another thread. It appears that you cannot have a rule for a camera to both Do Nothing and have no notifications. In this circumstance, all you want to do it delete the rule and not have a rule for this particular camera. Without a rule, the camera will do nothing and give no notifications

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is not a solution. The camera record all day long with your solution. The battery will not last long with your solution. I do not need to record my dogs tail wagging or when he scratches his ear. I just want to be able to login to the camera occasionally and look at the room. You should be able to do nothing and not push notifications why would you need to push notifications on do nothing
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect you're over-thinking this.  If all you want to do is "login to the camera occasionally and look at the room", you don't need a mode - the camera(s) can be disarmed.  You simply open the app and use Live View which has nothing to do with recording, motion or notifications.

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am accessing the camera through live view but was not turning the camera on and off. I was opening the app hitting live view looking then closing app. Doing this I have to open app turn on Camera+ Hit live view. It just seems so simple to be able to not push notifications when your camera is recording. I really do not want to push notifications at all, on any of the cameras, I just want to record events. I just can't see a way to do this. But yes I overthink everything as I am electrical engineer. LOL
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, I thought you didn't want to record.  Edit your modes in the Mode tab (sounds like you just have the default Armed mode) and turn off notifications for any and all cameras. Be sure to save.  That way any recordings won't have notifications.  Also consider creating your own custom modes so you have full control.

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
I created a custom mode for this camera in the mudroom but the app will not let you leave the camera on, select do nothing and then deselect email and push notifications. You cannot save the settings the same function does not function win deselecting both the types of notification boxes
Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
That was save function not same
Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
I see no way to leave the cameras on and completely deselect any type of notification. It will only save if you pick one or the other but not neither.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yer trying too hard.  Any camera without a rule is automatically disarmed.  Any time slot in the schedule without a mode is disarmed.  Don't try to set a camera up to do nothing - just don't create a rule.

Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
OK here's one. I created a rule for my mudroom camera I see no way to delete this rule.

All the rules In "armed" for the cameras where created automatically by the app. I did not know that a camera did not require a rule for it to be able to function and record

It may seem that I'm trying too hard but it just seems so logical to me to be able to deselect a function. I have not researched much of this as I've been very busy with work and I only have owned the system about 48 hours. I did call tech-support yesterday and they did give me a case number but I'm not really sure if the girl really understood what I was trying to do but she did talk to her supervisor and when she came back that's when she gave me the case number
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Armed mode is not completely configurable. It's to get you started and for troubleshooting. You can't delete a rule there. Creat a custom mode and do what you want, including the ability to delete a rule.
Strawdog
Aspirant
Aspirant
I sort of stumbled on a work around for this. If you select record on audio you can deselect both email and push notifications. Then turn the microphone volume to zero. No recording and no annoying alerts or emails.
eTiger67
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I turn OFF email notifications?

brh
Master
Master

@eTiger67

In you app or computer account IDE in the Rules setion of the Armed Mode you have the choice of either text notifications, email notifications or both. Click off the email notifications. 

Note: you cannot have both options deselected. 

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You certainly can have both push and email notifications enabled at the same time.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

To clarify my statement, that is what I said. But you can not leave both the boxes empty so that you get no notifications.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Gotcha - misread. However, I leave both boxes unchecked since I don't want notifications.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

That is good to know. In the past I wasn't able to do that when I only wanted Smartthings notifications only. They must have changed that in a firmware update.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have only had notifications checked when testing. Other than that they've always been off for years.  It's not a new feature.

eTiger67
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

But I cant find any check/uncheck fetures...!?!