Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot login showing "Device limit reached". Have I reached a limit of video use?

Discussion stats
  • 47 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cannot login, as message in red says - (device limit reached).  I never subscribed for any package and had the cameras for 4 years without any problems.  I'm using wifi.  Question: have I reached a limit of video use?  I changed the password and still same message (wont allow me to login.  Your thoughts please?

47 REPLIES 47
Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo wouldn't let me login so I started a clean reset.  During set-up (please view photo) arlo wont let me go any further than the page on the photo.  I'm stuck!  In the photo where  the button at bottom shows to continue is greyed out and cannot continue.  On the base station the three colors, the camera is a solid amber.  I connected the cameras many times in the past but this time it wont connect.  I'm using a home computer windows 7 - and the biggest problem is connecting the base station.  Your thoughts please!

Dannybear
Master
Master
It’s a 2FA issue can I suggest.

“You can have up to five different trusted devices, phone numbers, or email addresses to verify your Arlo account login.”

https://kb.arlo.com/000062288/What-is-two-step-verification-and-how-do-I-set-it-up
Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Danny but that wasn't the problem.  When I went to my computer saturday night.  I couldn't open up arlo.  I tried many things but wouldn't work.  This was all out of the ordinary . So I made another account.  The problem occured when I tried to link the base station VMB4000.  While and following instructions in my account to connect the base station, it brought me to a page that said add device  ...please view in photo attachment.  In the photo it shows serial number and Time Zone and a button at the bottom of the page that says continue.  It is then that all stopped and I couldn't go any further.  The word (continue) is greyed out and doesn't work when you click on it.  This is what is precisely preventing me from linking to the bay station.  That is my problem.  I have a spare base station by arlo and tested it and it done the same thing.  The bottom line is:  my base station VMS4000 have 2 solid green lights (which is good meaning it as power and internet) but the third light is a solid amber for camera 

Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

Thank you Danny but that wasn't the problem. 

Actually I think @Dannybear  is correct, and that the device limit error was a bug in 2FA.  That's an account issue, so it would disappear if you created a new account.

Looking at your screenshot, it appears that you didn't name the base station (which is needed before you can proceed with the setup).  The third light is amber, because you need to add the base station to the account before you can add the cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

Arlo wouldn't let me login so I started a clean reset.  During set-up (please view photo) arlo wont let me go any further than the page on the photo.  

FWIW, it's best not to duplicate your posts.

Did you name the base station?  It won't let you proceed if you don't.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  Actually I couldn't name it because it wouldn't let me write anything.  The box you noticed with the red line across was only I blocking out the serial number for privacy before posting it on arlo community.  The serial number was already in the box when I got to that page.  

As for making a new account.  In fact I made 2 new accounts to try and fix the problem.  After making the first new account, it done the same thing and didn't fix anything.  So I made a second account to be sure and it done the same thing, so that eliminates new accounts.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  During the process and when it got to that point, it wouldn't allow me to write anything.  The box you see on that page with red lined. I was only hiding the serial number before posting the photo in arlo community.  In that box was the serial number and I couldn't take it out and rename to my liking.  

At the bottom of the page (the continue button) was greyed out and wouldnt allow me to click on it to go forward

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's the problem.  I reset many times.  View photo

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

As for making a new account.  In fact I made 2 new accounts to try and fix the problem.  After making the first new account, it done the same thing and didn't fix anything.  So I made a second account to be sure and it done the same thing, so that eliminates new accounts.

FWIW, I recently ran into this with one of my accounts (I have two), and haven't yet found a good resolution.  I did find a work-around - I was able to log into the account in my browser when I chose the "don't trust" option in the browser.  That requires me to go through 2FA every time I log in, but at least I do have access.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

Here's the problem.  I reset many times.  View photo

This is different from your earlier screen shot (where you had discovered the base, and saw the serial number).

Is it possible that the base station is still in one of your older accounts?

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate your response but the biggest hurdle is getting passed the base station connection.  My server modem shows that the base station does have an IP number and there is internet BUT in Arlo account indicates BASE STATION COULD NOT BE DISCOVERED as in the photo.  Open to your thoughts?  Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

Open to your thoughts?  Thanks

Arlo bases and cameras can only be added to your account if they aren't in another one.

I am thinking that you likely left the base in one of the older accounts, and can't remove it, since you can't log in.

Either way, I suggest contacting support, using the link in the upper right of the forum.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen for your response.  The attached photos is the order of my conflict.  It is from a new account.  I tried contacting arlo but can't find anyone citing covid and besides they would want to charge me for support being that I am over their 90 day free support

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

The attached photos is the order of my conflict.  It is from a new account.  

I understand that.  But you were creating that new account because of the device limit issue, correct?  My assumption is that the base and cameras were in the original account at some  point - was that incorrect?

@Northern_billy wrote:

besides they would want to charge me for support being that I am over their 90 day free support

They won't charge.  Make sure you use a link from one of the Arlo sites (for instance, the support link in the upper right of the forum page).  Don't just google Arlo support, as scam sites often come up first.

I understand that it's not easy to get through.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

Arlo wouldn't let me login so I started a clean reset.  

Once again - if you left the base and cameras in the old account (as I think you must have done), then you cannot add them to a new account.  The "add device" path will only show you devices that are either unclaimed, or claimed by your existing account.

So the way to proceed is to log in to the old account, and if necessary add back the cameras and base.  I found that the "don't trust" path did work in the browser for me.

In any event,  support might be able to assist if you feel you have to migrate to a new account.  But we can't do anything here to get you past the sticking point you are at now.

Billy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Yes you are correct on all counts.  At first it was the limit issue / cameras and base from the original account.  Then I made a new account and that was relation to the last photo.

As for support I found the link last night.  Emailed them already.  Thanks

Dannybear
Master
Master
Has a factory reset been performed on the base station, my understanding is that this needs to be performed to remove it from a account.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-to-the-default-values
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
Has a factory reset been performed on the base station, my understanding is that this needs to be performed to remove it from a account.

That's not enough to allow the base to be claimed by another account.  It needs to be removed from the old one (and that requires that you be able to log into the old account).

Billy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and yes the reset was tried many times with no success

Billy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

It wont allow me to log into the old account...that's why I created a new account.  

The old account says as soon as I try to log in: 

Device limit reached! To add another device go to Sign In Settings, and remove a device; then try again.

That's as far as I can go when trying to log in.  Can't go any further into the account

Dannybear
Master
Master
As highlighted by Steve’s last comment, if the base station was never removed from your account then if the base has been factory reset then trying to login might be thinking it has to add an additional device. Just thinking.
Have you tried logging in with the base disconnected?
Are you logging in on a device connected to the same network as the base to use the internet.
Billy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I managed to remove the base station from the old account.  I made a new account and reset.   This time it says it discovered the base station BUT (please refer to photo) at the bottom of the photo where it says CONTINUE is greyed out and I can't click continue.

Dannybear
Master
Master
To me it would suggest a compatibility issue using the browser with the arlo portal.
Have you tried using the arlo App on a mobile device connected to the network.
Have you tried using a different web browser.
Might be time to have arlo support walk you through the install so they can see the issue.
Billy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I use chrome and tried edge browser

I don't use a cell phone..to try on the app

I always used the program from my home computer and never had any problem

I tried calling Arlo, no answer citing covid

I did write to Arlo and submitted photos but haven't received a reply