Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
IgorSan
Follower
Follower

Hello,

Can I use arlo pro cameras with arlo base station? I have 4 arlo cameras already and I want to add arlo pro.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IgorSan,

Yes, Arlo Pro Cameras are backwards compatible and will sync to your Arlo Wire-Free base station.

For more information on Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

JamesC

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

IgorSan,

Yes, Arlo Pro Cameras are backwards compatible and will sync to your Arlo Wire-Free base station.

For more information on Arlo Pro, see here: Arlo Pro The world’s first and only 100% wire-free, weatherproof, rechargeable HD smart security cam...

JamesC

CrazyTown
Guide
Guide

Ok, so it will work with the old base station. But are all features supported? I'm thinking specifically of the new local backup feature to usb-thumbdrive connected to the base. 

vint83
Guide
Guide

Here is what I found in the email they sent out:

"*Arlo Pro add-on cameras can be added to an existing Arlo base station. However, local storage and smart siren features are only available on the new Arlo Pro base station"

Sigh...

I also noticed that basestation updated to 1.8.1_9169 FW. Probably to support Pro.

DavesArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Will the new (or upcoming) firmware on the existing Base Station (non-Pro) support USB storage on the base station?

It would be great if we could use a flash drive or HDD plugged into the base station for storage. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DavesArlo,

Not at this time. The Arlo Pro base station will however be available for purchase individually allowing users to take advantage of the new Arlo Pro Base station features.

JamesC

RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

DavesArlo,

Not at this time. The Arlo Pro base station will however be available for purchase individually allowing users to take advantage of the new Arlo Pro Base station features.

JamesC

Just so I understand, we can purchase the new base station (by itself) and use with the 1st gen Arlo camera's? Would we also be able to record locally? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RegDawg,

Correct. Your Arlo Wire-Free cameras will sync with an Arlo Pro Base Station and will be able to take advantage of the new base station features (local storage and siren).

JamesC

DavesArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Ahhh, Thanks so much James.

So to be clear,  the "local" storage mentioned is local to the New Arlo Pro Base Station and not local to the new Arlo Pro Camera with added micro-USB input (presumably just for charging).    

Is that correct?

That leads me to ask, is the micro-USB port on the camera only for charging (ie. 2-wire) and not for supporting USB storage devices (either now or in future)?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DavesArlo,

That's right. The Local Storage feature is made possible via the Arlo Pro Base Station.

The charging port on the Arlo Pro Camera is only used for powering/charging the camera.

JamesC

Dinerve
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

DavesArlo,

That's right. The Local Storage feature is made possible via the Arlo Pro Base Station.

The charging port on the Arlo Pro Camera is only used for powering/charging the camera.

JamesC

This is appaling and disrespectful of existing Arlo Wireles customers!

the usb function was promised and acknowledged for the existing lineup and clearly can be supported by design, Netgear opts not to switch it on to push us into buying a new basestation. The usb at the back of the existing basestation where always mentionned for future functionality which never came.

I bought my system a few months back and was confident that eventually netgear would open that much requested figure.

Smart marketting guys decided otherwise basically turning their back on existing paying customers only to grab new one or force us to upgrade for that single feature.

I believe this lacks style to say the least!

RegDawg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone know what the cost of the base station only is? Also will the base station accept more than 5 camera's? For example the current base station only accepts 5 unless you pay the monthly subscription. If the new base station accepts local recording can more camera's be added (mixture of arlo and arlo pro)?

Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
Was USB storage ever actually promised by Nergear?

Did you know that you can buy the new Pro base station, and it will work with your existing first generation Arlo wireless cameras, thereby making local storage possible? Of course, it's a bit of a bummer we have to pay for this feature.
Dinerve
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tom06 wrote:
Was USB storage ever actually promised by Nergear?

Did you know that you can buy the new Pro base station, and it will work with your existing first generation Arlo wireless cameras, thereby making local storage possible? Of course, it's a bit of a bummer we have to pay for this feature.

No they never commited to it, yet placed 'under consideration' in the Idea Exchane section, one of the most upvoted features and product design clearly showed with its USB ports labelled as 'for future functionalities' (let's be serious here, what else could you plan on attaching there) and we all can deduct they did not want it active to funnel customers into their subscription plans.

Also it can't be related to hardware computing power, encoding is done by the camera, and if the basestation can stream 5 cameras to the cloud, it can surely write on a usb stick/hdd.

But the scam is obvious and very upsetting.

thaweatherman
Star
Star

FWIW I talked to a rep over live chat yesterday and he said that they are working on the firmware update for the old base station to allow for local storage. There isn't an ETA on it though.

Trucky
Tutor
Tutor

I would not hold my breath on any further development for the "old" base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

RegDawg wrote:

Anyone know what the cost of the base station only is? Also will the base station accept more than 5 camera's? For example the current base station only accepts 5 unless you pay the monthly subscription. If the new base station accepts local recording can more camera's be added (mixture of arlo and arlo pro)?

Not exactly.  The current base stations can support 15 cameras although only 5 streaming at one time.  The 5 camera limit is based on your plan, not on the base station.

Kika_CA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Arlo Pro rechargeable battery internal or external? It looks like a cube too big for the camera case.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kika_CA,

The Arlo Pro rechargeable battery is internal. For more infromation, see here: Arlo Pro Rechargeable Battery (VMA4400)

JamesC

BruceTheBarGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Which is it? Yes or No?

This was also posted.

NETGEAR Moderator
JamesC

Re: Can I use arlo pro cameras with arlo base station?

IgorSan,

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cameras are absolutely compatible with the original base and the original wireless cameras are absolutely compatible with the Pro base.  I'm not sure what you're referring to - everything seems to indicate the affirmative.

DavesArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Can you please confirm,  is the 2-way audio feature available if I use the Arlo Pro camera with the *Original* Base Station?

jguerdat wrote:

The Pro cameras are absolutely compatible with the original base and the original wireless cameras are absolutely compatible with the Pro base.  I'm not sure what you're referring to - everything seems to indicate the affirmative.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
@TomMac, can you verify since you have that configuration? I believe that audio has nothing to do with the base but I've not tested it.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

DavesArlo wrote:

Can you please confirm,  is the 2-way audio feature available if I use the Arlo Pro camera with the *Original* Base Station?

.Yes.. the audio works on the PRO with the regular Arlo base...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Dib200000
Aspirant
Aspirant
I currently only have the Arlo Pro system. Can I add a regular Arlo wireless camera? Are the old cameras "forward compatible"?