Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sellernewyork
Guide
Guide
Hey just need some help, I setup local storage recently. Does the Arlo Pro record on the local storage and the cloud at the same time? Also I’m on a 7 day free plan, do the recordings last longer on the local storage? I used a 64GB drive.

Thanks in advance for any replies
9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any automatic (motion/audio-detection) videos are recorded to both the cloud and drive at the same time. Only the recordings on the cloud get deleted - the ones on the drive remain there. Note that during an Internet outage videos are still recorded to the drive but will not be uploaded to the cloud after service is resumed. Be sure to eject the drive before viewing on a computer to prevent file system corruption.

sellernewyork
Guide
Guide
Thank you so much! One more question, or statement I guess. I’m assuming I can only view the recordings on the drive by ejecting the drive and connecting it to a computer ??
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

@sellernewyork wrote:
Thank you so much! One more question, or statement I guess. I’m assuming I can only view the recordings on the drive by ejecting the drive and connecting it to a computer ??

That is correct. There is no mechanism to allow for viewing of video on the local USB drive at this time from the arlo app or web portal. (Although that would be a nice feature, along with some type of log to indicate when the internet was down to tell you to check the drive.)

sellernewyork
Guide
Guide
Thank you very much!
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Hi I have a 1 TB storage USB connected to my Base Station and I ejected this (through the app) and plugged into my laptop but was unable to open my storage device and see what was on it. I ejected it from laptop using the safe to eject and plugged it back into the Base Station. The app then had me format the drive again wiping all the recordings I had on the device. Is that normally what happens? I formatted the storage device when I originally plugged it into the Base Station. 

Thanks Monica 

sellernewyork
Guide
Guide
If you didn’t format it when you first plugged it into the base station that might be the reason why.
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

I did format the storage drive when I first plugged it into the base station which was why I wondered why I had to format it again after ejecting it and replugging it in.

Monica

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem that the file system was fairly thoroughly corrupted somehow. I've had this happen with a different camera and had to reformat the drive in the PC to get it to work. It would seem to be a one-time occurance but you might want to test this a few times to regain confidence.

Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks I will try it again in a day or so , hopefully it will work this time as I don't want to lose all the recordings      and don't want to buy another storage device as I specifically purchased this for the base station.

Monica