Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery discharging while plugged in

Discussion stats
  • 52 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Arlo ultra plugged in , battery will charge to 100%. If left plugged in battery will discharge down to zero and go offline. At the time that it's discharging battery level in the app still says 100% it will keep saying 100% until finally it goes completely offline down to 0%. all this happening while plugged in. Yes I am using an Arlo charger and an Arlo wire. This whole process of discharging down to zero takes less than 24 hours. Yes I have refreshed the app cleared my cache. Like I said the whole time it is discharging the battery states that it's at 100%.
I've also tried restarting the base station. Unplugging base station for a minute and plugging it back in. Uninstall the camera reinstall the camera. Nothing helps

52 REPLIES 52
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Johnny290

Are you still experiencing this issue with your battery? I have a few questions for you.

• Did your camera periodically go offline prior?
  • Do any of your other devices appear offline?
  • Can you provide a screenshot of the error message?
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Yes I'm still experiencing the issue. The camera will charge up normally, in the app it'll say 100%. But what's really happening now it is discharging and it will discharge all the way down to zero and just go offline. I have another camera plugged in and that one works normally and does not discharge. Notice the camera that says Rear garage look how the battery icon is hollow with the lightning bolt that is now discharging
Screenshot_20211005-121641_Arlo.jpg
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Johnny290

Can you swap batteries with a camera that is charging correctly, I would like to see what happens. If possible, can you try a different power adapter/cable?

Thank you

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I've already tried that I've tried a different wire I've tried different power adapters I have two cameras that have this problem swapping batteries did not help I have one camera that will stay charged when plugged in I have a total of three cameras Arlo ultra
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
And when I say the battery discharges I mean it goes down to zero I got to spike the battery to get it to start charging again
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have another account with Ultra cameras, after reviewing your account I can see Pro series cameras & they are functioning properly without Any sudden battery drain. If you are using another account with the Ultra cameras, please send me a PM with your account email so I can review it.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
How do I send you a PM I'm not sure how to do it
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Cancel that sent it
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I p.m. you did you get it
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Received, I will have someone take a look & I will provide an update as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Johnny290

I wanted to let you know, the Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Once again my camera plugged in charged up to 100% and now it's on the way to going down to 0% where soon it will be offline.
Screenshot_20211009-075505_Arlo.jpg
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
7 hours later Arlo ultra plugged in, battery is now dead went from 100% down to zero plugged in
Screenshot_20211009-155907_Arlo.jpg
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
In this screenshot you can see that the battery has a lightning bolt through it. And yet the camera is not even plugged in I did refresh the app force close and open it again still a lightning bolt as if it's plugged in. I am using the latest app. I also restarted the base station to see if it would change and it did not the camera still thinks it's plugged in
. If I left it plugged in it would decharge down to zero.
Screenshot_20211010-163115_Arlo.jpg
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI,

Can you try swapping the battery between 4k rear garage and 4k pond and give that change a few days to test the results.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I will swap them for you but both of those cameras have the same problem. The only one that works correctly is front garage
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
And the front garage camera is using an aftermarket wire and an aftermarket charger and that's the only one that doesn't have a problem
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
All the way down to 2% after being fully charged
Screenshot_20211013-055344_Arlo.jpg
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue with the battery draining while plugged in is only occurring on 1 camera correct?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Two cameras rear garage and 4K pond. Now the rear garage camera has a red battery icon but seems to be holding at 100 percent. At least for now
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you utilizing a solar panel by chance?

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I do not own any solar panels
Matti2D
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem. I have a long run USB power cable (15 ft) plugged in to an outlet. The battery charges then discharges while plugged in. Before, when I used to just recharge the camera, it would work fine but I wanted to keep from having to charge the battery every month. Any advice?