Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base firmware 1.12.2.2_2754 will not update

Discussion stats
sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice
When logging in today received notification firmware update required, "Lets start with base station". After saying update base station it comes back in a few minutes with error Base_station_error_ 4403 the status on all camers is back to firmware update needed, lets start with base station. 1) I see no posting in the release notes for this base station firmware 2) what is the update correcting 3) what did Arlo break again so the firmware will not update and how should I correct this as now my cameras are useless pending the update being applied Thanks
98 REPLIES 98
AW-FL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to get mine to update by physically turning off the base station rather than just restarting it from the app. 

delaveganz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried to do an update one more time before power cycling 🚴🏽 and lo and behold, the firmware update actually came through - didn’t need to manually restart unit.

Now on 1.12.2.4_2772 😇

Dannybear
Master
Master
@delaveganz
Now just wait for the cameras to go offline.
Davidkn
Aspirant
Aspirant
The arlo app shows there is an update, but after several base station restarts, it still will not update.
JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

they really need to add a real 'reboot' button, the 'restart' services button is not enough

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Made it to the house and unplugged it. All is good now. I also plugged it into a WEMO plug so I can do a true reboot (powerdown) remotely since I cannot get here at the drop of a dime anytime they feel the need to do an upgrade. The funny thing is that my other house in Florida where I live, has not had this issue. Only the NY house.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Had similar issue but seems to work now.

My base station was on firmware ...-2762. Stuck in update loop.

Followed others’ advise by power cycling the base unit (do not use software restart button. Unplug, wait 30 sec, plug). Then base unit was stuck on orange LED for a few min. After that, it’s back online again with the same “need update” prompt. This time, hitting “update base station firmware” on the camera thumbnail works — it rebooted the base station into orange LED for another few min and now I’m on base station ....-2772.

Everything seems working now.

Obviously Netgear messed up something. Bad cache or whatever...

Onno-Karl
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem on my pro base station. „firmware update available for base-station and cam. Let‘s start wirth base.“
Starting this results with error-message. From a distance i have tried this and restarted base for several times. Hours later suddenly was to read „firmware update for cam is available“. After clicking on and restart base it works now.
Strange problem, because new firmware for vmb4000 base (1.12.2.4_2772), which seems to be not listed in ARLO-Forum....
jeffnsuec
Aspirant
Aspirant

Powering off the base station worked for me and the update finally took when it rebooted.

jtannenba
Star
Star

Guess What?  If you have a powered USB drive plugged in, It  will NOT restart.  It will not even power down if you pull the plug as long as the USB drive is a powered drive.

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I have a plugged in USB external hard drive also, thanks for the info.

Arlo bad… re-do your firmware deployment.

Pat Thronson

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you sure you want to update to 1.14.0.2_2776?

Here we go again...

1. A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.
  2. Let’s start with the base station.
  3. Are you sure you want to update to 1.14.0.2_2776?
  4. Firmware update is in progress…
  5. error Base_station_error_ 4403

I am only 600 miles away this time    :0( 

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

Add me to the list of those that had to actually pull the power cord on the base station to get the update from ...2772 to ...2776 to actually work. This isn't rocket science. They should know how to do this by now.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Honestly Arlo should be providing smart outlets for free since they can't fix their firmware to actually issue a proper reboot. I can't remember the last update where I _didn't_ have to force a power cycle on the base station.

jtannenba
Star
Star

Do you have a powered hard drive connected?  That will prevent their reboots.

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

No powered drive, just a standard USB flash drive.

JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

I thought was gonna have to power down again like last time, as first update failed, tried again and that time it said was rebooting, so would try a second time if fails as at least for me, the second time worked

i button to reboot camera's and bases remotely is much needed

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Back on-line.

1st day my friend turned off and on the Arlo base and did not work.

The 2nd day he did the same thing and also turned off and on my router.

This time after an hour or so when I checked Arlo it worked.

Please Arlo give us the chance to do the update when we get back home.

DMac40
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I try to update base station I get a message saying device appears offline.  Base station has three green lights on and it looks like it is connected.  When I try to reconnect to the internet it shows an Authentication error has occured.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DMac40

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Grigoriy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I accidentally deleted the device. I did a hard reset and am installing it under New System Setup again. During installation, it found my base station but then moved on to checking for updates. Now that will not go any further than "firmware could not be updated". Now what me to do ?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Grigoriy

Have you tried to reboot the base station and check for the firmware update again?

PhucTran
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can not update my camera 1.2.21616 to 1.3.319. I tried many times even I unplugged base, uninstall...
Can u guys help me please!
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @PhucTran

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support