Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sward6368
Apprentice
Apprentice
When logging in today received notification firmware update required, "Lets start with base station". After saying update base station it comes back in a few minutes with error Base_station_error_ 4403 the status on all camers is back to firmware update needed, lets start with base station. 1) I see no posting in the release notes for this base station firmware 2) what is the update correcting 3) what did Arlo break again so the firmware will not update and how should I correct this as now my cameras are useless pending the update being applied Thanks
98 REPLIES 98
jtannenba
Star
Star

Didn't see that this time.  I use the web app on computer.  I still think the updates should wait till we say ok since it stops the alerts.  Today was second day I awoke to find cameras are stopped, waiting on the base to update.  Never acceptable for the alerts to stop.  Defeats the reason for pay so much for a system.  I've had enough problems with this system, that if I had to do it again, I would not have bought this one.  I bought it because I have had quite a bit of Netgear equipment on my network, and all have been good.  This system stinks.  Since it connects to you, it takes a while to start live (if you don't have super fast internet, which I can't get).  I would have been happier if it had a setting to only record locally.

MrBSFP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am Having the same problem. Base Station Firmware will not update after pressing - Update Base Station . Looks like POOR testing by some at Arlo. Trying to update from 1.12.2.2_2754 to 1.12.2.2_2762. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Folks have been saying that power cycling the base has worked. Use the on/off switch or pull the plug.

DrewHall1954
Tutor
Tutor

I found a restart button on the iPhone app.  Never saw it on Android app.  Not sure if restart solved the bricking.  Maybe Netgear should advertise that you better live close to your system, so when they brick it with firmware updates to increase features that your system can not use, you can press the on/off button.  Hope someone with big bucks litigates them!

DawnG
Aspirant
Aspirant
I accidentally deleted the device. I did a hard reset and am installing it under New System Setup again. During installation, it found my base station but then moved on to checking for updates. Now that won’t go any further than “firmware could not be updated”. Now what do I do?
DrewHall1954
Tutor
Tutor

Still no luck getting this system firmware to update.  When a company has the user community support their products, well that should tell you what the company thinks about their customers.

Netgear has good networking products.  They just don't know what home security is all about. Two days of outage is an outrage! The cottage is a 4 hour drive to just press the power button to restart the base.  The app restart button does not fix the base the outage. Yes, I found the app button.

timrees
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue I have tried on the computer and my phone app, it keeps locking up the base station and two lights stay lit. I can't view any of the cameras. They are not very good at updates

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base rather than restarting it. Use the power switch or pull the plug. A few users have said that this helps.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try turning the base off and back on. Others have said it helps.

jtannenba
Star
Star

Still say it is stupid.  How can you power cycle the thing if you are 2000 mi away???

TomRomeo
Initiate
Initiate

I agree, a very poor design with a firmware update. A simple reboot should do the trick, not a full power cycle. 

TomRomeo
Initiate
Initiate

The only thing i've found that resolves the problem is to power off the base until, wait about 20 seconds and power the until back on. Difficult if the base unit is in a remote location. Not sure why Arlo has such restrictions on firmware upgrades. 

jtannenba
Star
Star

Not Netgear's best product.  Not anywhere near up to snuff as there networking equipment.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jtannenba wrote:

Still say it is stupid.  How can you power cycle the thing if you are 2000 mi away???

If you know you're going to be away, use a WiFi switch that the base plugs into so you can remotely power cycle the base. While it is a workaround, it saves a lot of aggravation, as does having your modem, router and base plugged into a UPS.

jtannenba
Star
Star

Everything is on UPS.  Not buying a wifi switch.  The system cost me enough as it is.

kev001
Guide
Guide

Issue resolved by powering off device.   Restarting via settings did not work.

DrewHall1954
Tutor
Tutor

Sister-in-law did power supply removal and on/off switch cycling. Did not fix the update base firmware issue.  No live streaming.  Guess I'll have to get cameras with a ladder and rebuild it all when I go back to cottage next week!

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, for 2 days now, like some I am over 700 miles away :0(

Does not work nor does a re-start of the base, have tried multiple times.

A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.
Let’s start with the base station.

Are you sure you want to update to 1.12.2.4_2772?

Firmware update is in progress

FW Version 1.12.2.4_2772

Firmware Update is available 1.12.2.3_2762

HW Version VMB4000r3

Serial Number 4R036C7DA34E6

Notes: VMB4000 basestation 1.12.2.4_2772,xagent 3.2.7-rc1

Was working great,

Pat Thronson

delaveganz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Woke up to check my Arlo cameras and find the base station VMB4000r3 asking for updates repeatedly and cycling between 1.12.2.4_2772 and 1.12.2.3_2762

Am unable to view cameras 😵

Checked the web site and found 1.12.2.3_2762 was the latest release. Has the Arlo update mechanism been hacked?

Mystere
Guide
Guide
Same thing happened to me. There is a new firmware. I restarted base station and it took well over 5 minutes b4 all lights were green. When I went to check firmware, it applied the latest version.

Not sure if this will fix any offline issues which I’ve been experiencing for the last month.
delaveganz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don’t know about what it fixes. But the system is unusable at the moment as the IOS app is saying need to update base station firmware always...

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cameras working again:

Please quit updating firmware or at least give us the chance to do it when we arrive back at base.

Well I had to phone a friend and asked to turn off and on the base… now my cameras work :0)

Dannybear
Master
Master
I had to power cycle the base station again to get the update to finish and then after a while all my cameras came back online. Seems to be a common theme now with updates.
MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice
2nd time this month. This is totally unacceptable. I am having to travel to the house, on a train right now, to reset this damn system. I have the house for sale so there are people in and out of the place. This is total BS. I was so happy to see the new logo on Facebook today though. Glad they are working on something.
delaveganz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hmm - I did try the [Restart] button on the app and that didn’t make a difference - will try to power cycle then ...