Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RonLH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had my system with Pro 2 cameras up and running just fine through an older TP Link router. When that went toes up, I picked up a eero router. When plugged in to the router directly, the base unit connects to the internet just fine. However, the router only has one extra port on it and I need several outlets. When I add a switch and plug the base unit into the switch, I lose internet. I confirmed the switch was working by running an older laptop(with wifi turned off) through it. I've tried several combinations of powering off the base unit, router, switch and haven't found a solution that way. Is there a setting in the base unit that has to be changed? 

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

@celticpatricia wrote:

Both google wifi and arlo work fine by themselves. 

Ok.  Have you tried connecting the base to the Google WiFi's LAN port (connecting the WAN port to the modem)?

The primary Google Point (the one which has the ethernet WAN port connected) is acting as a router.  Your local ethernet devices should be connected to one of the Google Points.  Normally you'll get the best performance if you can connect into the primary Google Point (since the others are sending their data over wifi via the Google Point. mesh).

16 REPLIES 16
RonLH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should add that when hooked up through the switch, Power LED is green, Internet LED is yellow, and Camera LED is green. App shows system is offline due to power or internet. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There are no settings in the base.  What manufacturer/model switch are you using?

RonLH
Aspirant
Aspirant

The switch is a Netgear GS605 5 place unmanaged switch.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RonLH wrote:

The switch is a Netgear GS605 5 place unmanaged switch.

I'd certainly expect that to work.

Is the port number lit on the switch when you connect the base?

RonLH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have port lights for the eero and the base. And again, I get an orange internet light on the base, so it’s connected to the router, but it just won’t make it outside the house. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@RonLH wrote:

And again, I get an orange internet light on the base, so it’s connected to the router, but it just won’t make it outside the house. 

While the KB article says that, I suspect the orange LED on the base just means it sees an ethernet connection.  You can test that by disconnecting the router from the switch for a bit, and see if the LED remains orange.

Anyway, I think the next step is to see if the base is getting an IP address from the eero.  It should be in the attached devices list.  You can also try pinging it from a PC, once you know the address.

celticpatricia
Guide
Guide

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having a problem with a 5 port switch. Arlo won't work unless it's directly plugged into my modem. Frustrating as I wanted to use Google wifi points and I have only 2 ethernet ports on the computer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@celticpatricia wrote:

I'm having a problem with a 5 port switch. Arlo won't work unless it's directly plugged into my modem. Frustrating as I wanted to use Google wifi points and I have only 2 ethernet ports on the computer.

Where did you connect the switch?

I don't understand what the number of ethernet ports on the computer has to do with it, as you shouldn't be connecting the Arlo base to one of the computer ethernet ports.

RonLH
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, I never did find a solution and to be honest, I haven't looked into it lately. I'm running the Arlo hub directly through the Eero router and it's been working well (knock on wood).  I've had to reconfigure my laptop's docking station and run that wireless, despite being plugged into the docking station. I simply could not get the hub to run off the switch. I have not tried another switch.

What router are you using? My old TPLink was no issue since it had enough ports. When I installed my Eero, with only 1 port and the need for the switch, was when the issue began.

celticpatricia
Guide
Guide

Sorry...meant to say port on modem, which I only have 2 on my modem. Right now, I have my arlo base station connected to my modem via the 5 port switch and Google wifi points unplugged and they work. Now if I plug my Google wifi in the 5 port switch they don't work. Seems the wifi is interfering with the cameras. Thinking of buying an extra long ethernet cable so I can move the base station away from my Google point that has to be plugged into my modem. 

celticpatricia
Guide
Guide

O.K. thank you for the reply. I'll keep messing with it  to see if I can get it to work. My modem is from mediacom.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@celticpatricia wrote:

Right now, I have my arlo base station connected to my modem via the 5 port switch and Google wifi points unplugged and they work. Now if I plug my Google wifi in the 5 port switch they don't work. 

Normally you'd connect just one of the Google WiFi points to the modem or switch (connecting the WAN port on the Google point).  Is that what you've done?

If so, does the Google WiFi work correctly with the base station disconnected?

celticpatricia
Guide
Guide

Yes. I ordered a 20 ft ethernet cable to try having the arlo base away from the google one plugged into my modem. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@celticpatricia wrote:

Ok.  Have you tried connecting the base to the Google WiFi's LAN port (connecting the WAN port to the modem)?

The primary Google Point (the one which has the ethernet WAN port connected) is acting as a router.  Your local ethernet devices should be connected to one of the Google Points.  Normally you'll get the best performance if you can connect into the primary Google Point (since the others are sending their data over wifi via the Google Point. mesh).

celticpatricia
Guide
Guide

Thank you! It worked. I really appreciate the way you explained it. I was wondering why there were 2 ports on the google points. Now I must read more about it on the web...thank you again!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@celticpatricia wrote:

Thank you! It worked. I really appreciate the way you explained it. I was wondering why there were 2 ports on the google points. Now I must read more about it on the web...thank you again!

Glad I could help.

If you have more ethernet devices, you can connect the switch to the LAN port on the google point (and connect the base to the switch).

But if the base is the only one, then maybe leave well enough alone.