Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jcepeda00
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everything was fine then this morning MY Arlo Pro won't stop giving alerts that audio is detected.

This happens even after I turn off the microphone. 

The only thing I can figure is that the most recent firmware update screwed something up. 

Thanks for any help with this.

61 REPLIES 61
Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I'll try that when I get home thanks
bsmith922
Aspirant
Aspirant

Additional test results...

C. Enable the audio then disable the motion detection feature.

The problem DID occur in this scenario. I turned off motion detection, but left audio detection on (at sensitivity level 3). I got constant recordings throughout the night (4/5 into 4/6).

D. Observe if the camera will behave the same way during day time.

The problem DID occur in this scenario, in daylight. I left motion off, but audio on (level 3). It constantly recorded again. I then turned motion and audio detection both on, and the problem still occurred, the morning of 4/6 with enough light in the room for the night vision to not be active.

I'll try audio at level 2 instead of 3 when I get a chance, as suggested by another user.

But it clearly seems as though I have an issue with audio detection on that camera, day or night.

Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I'll give it a try thanks
Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
Ok just tryed it camera keeps going off it went off 7 times for no reason and won't stop I'm gonna try to resync it later I'll u know what happens thanks
Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
Did a hard reset and still the same problem
Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
Did power cycling and a hard reset still same problem thanks for your help going have to get a hold of customer service thanks for your help
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The root cause of this issue has been identified by the engineering team. A fix will be made available soon. I will post an update when I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience during this process.

JamesC

TRoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

any idea when the fix may be sent out? is it possible to roll-back to the old firmware?

Thanks.

Varundev
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC wrote:

The root cause of this issue has been identified by the engineering team. A fix will be made available soon. I will post an update when I have more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience during this process.

JamesC

I just got the Arlo Pro system on Sunday with the 3 cameras.  Setup was simple, but I keep getting the "Audio is detected on ..." notification on all cameras.  It's constant, as in every second I get a notification.  I even turned the microphone off on all the cameras, but I still get the notifications, although no recordings that were audio triggered.  Additionally, the sensitivity for the audio is set to 1 on each camera.  The only way to stop the notifications was to turn the cameras off using the app.

I don't know if this is the reason why my batteries have run down from 100% to about 30% overnight.  I know some of the power loss is due to getting a new system, positioning, and testing.

Can you elaborate on what the root cause was, what the fix is, and when it will be available? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Check your firmware versions against the Release Notes section here, just in case they need updating.
Varundev
Tutor
Tutor

Everything is up to date.

I'm also integrating with Smartthings.  I've noticed the rules I create under the Smartthings mode randomly disappear.  When the rules are there, they don't work as expected.  I keep getting audio alerts, but no associated recordings.  I was able to reduce the amount of alerts by lowering the audio sensitivity to 2 through the Smartthings app.  However, the setting randomly goes back to 3 and I start getting all the audio notifications again.  It's a vicious cycle of setting audio sensitivity, creating rules, just going in a saving rules when there are no recordings, and then start over again.

Today I noticfed that when I login to the web browser and try to create a rule, there are no devices to select as triggers.  So I can't even create rules unless I use the Arlo app.

So far, picture is good.  Software is worthless.  Support sucks.  Tried the chat and there was no one to accept.

Rsoldier97
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah. I'm about too throw everything in the bag and bring it back to Best Buy
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue is still under investigation by the engineering team. A fix will be made available soon.

JamesC

JGus
Aspirant
Aspirant

For weeks now I have had the same issue about false motion detection.  I have been waiting patiently for the "engeneering team" to fix this.  I have literally tried every recommendation suggested by the community and support.  Nothing has worked and I have disarmed my system to prevent the hundreds of notices.  This is absured! 

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC do you really have knoweledge of the software engineers looking into this or are you just trying to keep the complaints down to a minimum by keep repeating about a fix coming soon?

ravenlp
Star
Star

False motion or false audio?

AFAIK the issue this thread has been tracking is only for false audio notifications. If you are in fact experiencing false audio notifications, I would suggest turning off audio detection for the affected cameras modes. You can also tweak the audio detection level if you'd rather keep audio detection enabled. My original setting was level 3 for audio detection, this was causing non-stop notifications. Reducing the setting to level 2 stopped the constant notifications.

If instead you are actually seeing repeated false MOTION detection, than I would suggest starting a separate thread for that issue. You should also reach out to Netgear support via chat or phone to get a case opened for investigation. I've been following along with users reports on these forums of false detection issues (since I've also been having them) and they have been predominately audio detection issues.

bsmith922
Aspirant
Aspirant

Chillmiester, they do have a fix.  I received a beta firmware version to test and my issue of false audio recordings was resolved.  I am assuming that they are doing additional testing to make sure nothing else is negatively affected before they push the fix out to more users.

Also setting the audio detection level to 2 instead of 3 or higher was a temporary fix that worked for me too.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

It's been 5 weeks since the last update created this issue. This is expensive product waiting for a fix while my online support runs it's coarse. How much longer to test it? It shouldn't be this long. They should the very least give us the option to except updates like every other hardware manufacturer on the planet offers.

Pwsk
Tutor
Tutor
I agree still can't use audio on my or it goes nuts
sbecertified
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a 3 camera set from NewEgg and had this audio problem start imediately but with only one of the three cameras.  I thought I got a defective camera so I decided to return the whole set and exchange it for another whole new set.  Just received it a couple of days ago.  Again, one of the three cameras wants to trigger an audio alert about every minute if I set the audio detection to 3.  If I set the audio detection to 2, the falsing stops but the unit becomes deaf.  Won't hear a thing.  The other two cameras don't trigger every minute, but if I set the detection to 3, any little noise occuring, even a car passing the house or the outside wind may cause a trigger.  If I set the audio detection back to 2, they won't hear a thing. 

Right now the audio detection part of these cameras is about useless.  I bought them partly because of that and the talkback feature.  Engineering needs to fix the software bug to begin with and then come up with a better way to set the audio trigger levels.  They give you the adjustment finesse with the motion detection.  Why did they not give the same adjustment parameters in the audio detection? 

I have jumped through most of the "hoops" that have been suggested in this forum but the camera in question still malfunctions. (Reset this/that, turn off and on, remove and resync, reprogram, pull battery, etc.) I have shut the audio detection off to that camera.  I too have the latest software that people are mentioning within the forum.  Do you have a choice to not download the software upgrade  when you first initialize the system?

I have opened a case with NetGear.  We'll see what comes of it.

Tera-S
Aspirant
Aspirant

I adjust the audio sensitivity in the Smartthings app to a level I get no false triggers (level 2). When there is an automation change (home to away, etc), smarthings resets the audio sensitivity for a camera to 3 (factory setting?). It also resets the audio sensitivity for the camera in the Arlo app (also resets the name to the factory camera serial number?). This doesn't happen for all 4 of my cameras, sometimes only 1 camera might change. With the audio sensitivity at 3, tons of false triggers.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I just got an email saying they already released an update for this fix. I see no update in the release notes!?!? First they lie there will be an update soon, now they get caught lying.

Tera-S
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Smartthings App went to 2.3.6, but it didnt help.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

Which update are you talking about Tera-S? I still have the hardware updates from March 29th.

Tera-S
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, the Android Smartthings App updated to 2.3.6