Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro rusted to mount: Can't open battery case because camera is rusted onto mount

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cpincus100
Aspirant
Aspirant

We can't open one of our 2 Arlo Pro Wireless cameras to replace the batteries because it is rusted onto the mount. Will. Not. Move.

Saw in earlier posts that Arlo replaced some equipment over this. Purchased 4/4/17, so it's out of warranty, but I don't think we should have to buy new cameras for rust. 

Help?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's gonna take luck, perseverance and maybe some penetrating oil. I would remove the mount from the house so it's easier to work on. A few drops of a penetrating oil on the threads may help. Be sure to tighten the lock on the mount so you can crank the threads. An appropriate plier may be useful. Ultimately you may need to destroy the mount to get it out.

Regardless, can't you use the cover release button and let the camera flop down to access the battery?

cpincus100
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I should (really) have mentioned that I’d tried all those steps, and still no luck. It’s just rusted tight. It doesn’t help that the mount itself is now broken, because even if I could get at the battery compartment, which I can’t, I would not be able to remount the camera onto the broken mount. I will keep trying! Would be such a bummer to have to throw away a perfectly good piece of security equipment over rust.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Why can't you access the battery? The thread is on the battery cover so you can still use the cover button to open it - nothing is blocking that. You could saw the mount off so you could at least use a magnetic mount.

Otherwise, use the link at the bottom here to contact support. Perhaps a replacement can be sent.

cpincus100
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate your response. I am able to access the battery compartment now (of course -- duh), but the camera is no good to me rusted onto a broken mount. So I will reach out to Arlo Support for help. Thanks again. 

hpaulemile7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I have tried all the mentioned remedies, I still can remove the bracket, in order to charge the battery, I had to remove it from the camera and charge it in a different camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Contacting support for this may get you a resolution.

cpincus100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. It's out of warranty so I don't see that option. This sucks. Perfectly good camera will probably break if we try to disengage it from the mount. Ugh. Oh well. Live and learn. 

hollajay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there! We are experiencing this same issue!

I need to double check the warranty for this particular camera as we have purchased the ones we have at different times. I am wondering if you found any resolution for this; either by making it work on your own or from reaching out to Arlo support.

Thanks!

cpincus100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes, we finally succeeded at getting them apart without damaging the camera—the mount is toast—by using a vise grip and gently but with force (?!?) twisting the camera free.

That after spraying a drop or two of lubricant onto the threads.

Good luck!