Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro picture quality is degraded compared to original Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Since a couple of days I have noticed that the Arlo Pro cameras have a significantly worse PQ than my older Arlo Wirefree cameras. That applies to recordings and Live Feed in particular. It doesn't even remotely look like 720p anymore, more like 240p. The older Arlo Wirefree cameras have a much sharper picture. This used to be the other way around. Even the one older camera that is over 100 feet away has a better picture with barely 1 bar signal than the Pro with three bars. I rebooted everything several times without improvement. This kinda started after I upgraded to Arlo Smart Premier and added two more Pro cameras.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ralfyguy1,

Try adjusting the video quality in your camera settings. Do you see any difference in behavior?

You can find this setting by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Video Settings > Video Quality and Battery Usage. From here adjust the slider as desired.

JamesC

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC wrote:

ralfyguy1,

Try adjusting the video quality in your camera settings. Do you see any difference in behavior?

You can find this setting by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select the desired camera > Video Settings > Video Quality and Battery Usage. From here adjust the slider as desired.

JamesC

They are set to the highest quality like the older cameras. The only thing that changed was the addition of two more Arlo Pro cameras and a Arlo Smart Premier subscription.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Screenshot 2018-07-26 at 5.30.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2018-07-26 at 5.28.45 PM.pngScreenshot 2018-07-26 at 5.28.18 PM.pngThe top two screenshots are the two new Arlo Pros. The bottom is a Arlo Wirefree I bought over a year ago. The Pros are more fuzzy and it is much worse when the sun shines. Then there is even macro blocking going on like on a low res video or a zoomed in picture. These three cameras all have at least three bars, in fact the bottom one is the furthest away from the base station with the weakest signal. I have one more old Arlo camera 100 feet away with one bar and it doesn't look like that. It was overcast today, so I am going to take more screenshots when the sun is out again. It's gonna be way worse.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Here's another example: Pro on top, old Arlo on bottom. Pro on top is much more noisy and pixellated.Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

I noticed the same on my Arlo Pros. It looked like it was on the worst quality setting, but it's not. Could barely make out faces even witih a strong signal.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Itwould be more useful to see the same scene with both cameras.

Also, note that there's a significant difference in the cameras' coverage with the original cameras being 110 degrees and the Pro series being 130 degrees (the Pro 2 actually has a bit wider angle than the Pro 1). That means zooming in to see details isn't going to work as well even at 1080p. Add in the compression and you simply won't see details more than from a few feet away.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat wrote:

Itwould be more useful to see the same scene with both cameras.

Also, note that there's a significant difference in the cameras' coverage with the original cameras being 110 degrees and the Pro series being 130 degrees (the Pro 2 actually has a bit wider angle than the Pro 1). That means zooming in to see details isn't going to work as well even at 1080p. Add in the compression and you simply won't see details more than from a few feet away.

Like I said, this started looking like that after I upgraded to Arlo Smart.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Smart doesn't affect resolution or compression. Remove Smart from your camera to prove it.