Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Epson
Tutor
Tutor

I recently (2 days ago) had to replace an Arlo pro camera as it had a host of issues.  It stopped capturing motion, other times I would get a notification that there was motion, but there would be no video, it would loose connection to the base station, and the battery would last perhaps 5 days.  I opened a ticket, an RMA was created, Arlo sent me a camera (looks like it was a refurbished camera), and I sent back my bad one.   The new camera connected without issue.  The Battery, which was in the camera that was bad, is holding a charge in the new camera and the new camera stays connected to the base station.   The New Camera is dedicating motion, but only cars, not people and sometimes not even cars at night.  During the daylight it seems to capture cars, but still no people.   My previous camera I sent back, before it stopped working, would pick up everything, including small rabbits going across the driveway (day  or night).  It was set to 80% and I did not require night vision.  This "new" camera" has to be set up to 100% sensitivity, and have night vision on just to capture car motion.    I walked in front of the camera this evening  - back and forth - stood in front of the camera, flailed my arms around, jumped up and down a dozen times  - but it failed to detect me.   I have reset everything more then once and no change.   Nothing has changed in my set up - the base station is only 20 feet away with 1 wall between it and the camera.  I only have 1 camera.   Given the camera will only detect large objects like a car, the issue must be the camera.    Anyone else have this issue - my guess is Arlo has sent me a defective camera.  I'm this close to junking everything and going with a different manufacture.

9 REPLIES 9
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Epson

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Epson
Tutor
Tutor

Spoke with support, ended up having to get another replacement camera.  Previous replacement camera defective according to support.   New Camera arrived on Friday.  Removed old, replaced new and the new Camera is detecting people.  This is the good news.  The bad news, this new camera has gone offline after 24 hours of use.  Installed on Saturday around 3pm - worked great until Sunday around 5pm.  Went offline.  Re-synced on Sunday evening, worked great until this evening, went offline around 8pm.   I noticed that my Base station firmware has changed again.  I have an Arlo Pro VMB4000 Base Station (hardware VMB4000r3).  The latest Firmware update I see for the VMB4000 was done on July 5-2020 to 1.16.2.4_3503_f4757f1.    My current firmware is now showing 1.16.2.4_3505_f4757f1.    Was there another Firmware update between July 5th and now?

Thanks!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @Epson

Please contact the support team and let them know the replacement cameras going offline. Arlo Tech Support

Epson
Tutor
Tutor

Shane, can you please provide your thoughts on my last comment?   

have an Arlo Pro VMB4000 Base Station (hardware VMB4000r3).  The latest Firmware update I see for the VMB4000 was done on July 5-2020 to 1.16.2.4_3503_f4757f1.    My current firmware is now showing 1.16.2.4_3505_f4757f1.    Was there another Firmware update between July 5th and now?  Why would I be up a release?  There is no reference to this release number on the Arlo Firmware board.

I hate calling support, it takes at least 90 mins to get through, and honestly, it sounds like support are just reading from a script.  They have yet to actually solve any of my problems with my camera, other then send me a new one, which..., costs me $$   every time.

Thanks!

Epson
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo!  ...face it!  Your latest Firmware update has messed up!!  My custom mode settings are no longer being recognized by my camera,  my camera has stopped detecting people, and has stopped detecting noise.   I've had it - I'm going to a different brand of wireless security.   

Curlz57
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware 1.16.2.5_3508_62dfaa0

Hardware VMB4000r3

iOS

I’ve been having problems with 2 of my cameras.  You could walk right up to both and they will not detect motion, yet randomly they will record nothing.  I worked for 3 hours in front of one of my cameras and it didn’t record one single clip of movement.  Today, the garbage truck operator picked up 15 leaf bags and nothing was detected.  On multiple occasions, I have removed devices and reinstalled to no avail.  I have moved the modem.  There aren’t any schedules.  The sensitivity is at 100%.  Both cameras are within 10 to 20 feet of the modem and have a strong signal.  Both are hardwired.  I don’t see a point of having cameras for security when they are not  reliable.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Curlz57

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Curlz57
Tutor
Tutor

I have contacted them many times before and including today.  They keep insisting on trouble shooting problems which we have done many times before.  I have tried all the troubleshooting and nothing has helped.  I have been going back and forth with Arlo for two years now.  They should have replaced it when it was under warranty.  I will never buy another Arlo product and will let everyone know not to either.  I have a cheap camera in between the house that catches movement in front of the house whereas the Arlo in the front doesn’t catch hardly anything.  I am beyond disappointed and frustrated and tired of Arlo people saying they totally understand and let’s troubleshoot.  Troubleshooting is not fixing the problem and understanding isn’t either.  The last person just sent me an email that we fixed the issue.  What a joke!!!

Curlz57
Tutor
Tutor

Addendum:

Your Arlo person wanted me to get my extension ladder and go up to the second story (in the rain) to access the camera to bring it close to the base station.  Done that many times before and she keeps reading the same script of needing to troubleshoot.  Done that many times before!!!