Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
cariocatjb95
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am new to Arlo and the Arlo pro, and would like some advices on where is the best place to install the camera. Right now I have it installed on top (more to the right) of front door, and today I had a package delivered and the camera did not detect any motion. So my question is, would it be better to mount the camera against the side wall? See pictures below.

Also, what sensitivity % is recommended?

Thanks in advance.

#1.JPG  #2.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I dont see any pictures..... yet.  From what  I am reading the Arlo Pro does a fantastic job detecting motion, coupled with noise detection.  As far as sensitivity goes, its user discretion, meaning you adjust it to your needs.  The higher the number, the more sessitive its' going to be.   I would start at 50% and work your way upwards until you are satisfied with the captured recordings.

cariocatjb95
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not sure why you cant see the pictures, but anyhow Thank you so much for the response.

I had sensitivity set to 80% and it still didn't capture the motion, maybe because the UPS person was fast enough where the camera didn't have time to be activated by the motion, if this even make any sense.
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I see the pictures now.....

This is kind of a tough one since the area you are trying to cover is very short and narrow.  Suggestions:

Crank up the sensitivity to 100%  and test it out.  Mimic a UPS delivery and see if the camera catches you.  Remember those guys walk at a fast pace, place your box down and they are out of the frame failry quickly.

Install the camera at that secondary loction on your picture, adjust it so that the door is at the very right of the screen, then test again.

Looks like a stucco house,  if you have the means to move the camera to the other side of the door without punching another hole on your house, I'd try that too.

Ps I had the same issue and moving the camera at different locations above the door did not work, so I ended up moving the camera to a tree covering the door.  The green arrow shows where I had the camera first

door.png

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I'm also a new owner and had a similar problem. I had mounted it above the front door high enough so that no one could grab it. Problem was, I was only getting a video of the top of heads. No real useful face or front video. At the advise of another member here I mounted it opposite the front door and aimed directly at the front door. Although I tend to get video's of the backs of people, I get a clear shot when they turn to walk away from my porch. 

Another plus is that no one can see the camera as they walk up to my porch area. When it was mounted above the door, it was very obvious.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Like Hula mentioned... I have a similar opening and had to move the Arlo away from the door to capture people.

I was able to move it out 10 ft so when the pesron comes in it triggers, and as they leave ( or are at door ) it captures too.  The whole thing is try several locations with temp mounting till you find what work best for you.

As a PS.. surprized the PRO didn't pick the person up...finding the trigger/record event is so much faster than the Arlos

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------