Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
vincenzowl
Guide
Guide
Has anyone noticed the Arlo Pro has more compression than the original Arlo? The color temperature is also cooler. The Arlo Pro seems to not be as sharp as well and during early-mid mornings, washes out because of the amount of light.

Any others experience this or do I have a dud? I'm set on highest image quality and have taken sample videos and pictures and zoomed in on things to compare. Is it because the Arlo Pro has a wider lens and therefore less detail at the same 720p resolution?

I'm just disappointed the image quality is not at least the same as the Arlo, which I never really found to be bad.
5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I find it looks a lot better than my Arlo cams. The Pro definitely has a massive advantage in low light. The compression does, however, give me some unsharp areas and pixelation of moving subjects, which will suddenly jump to being very clear and then get a bit blurry again but apparently this is something the Netgear engineers are working on. One of my original Arlo cameras had a faulty lens alignment where the right side of the image was blurry but the left side was sharp. I was able to exchange this for a new one that was sharp for all the image

vincenzowl
Guide
Guide
Thanks for your reply. I have a feeling I may have a dud because it's obviously not as sharp as the original Arlo. It makes no sense why they would send to market an upgraded camera that looks worse than the first gen. I've already tried a battery pull reset and remove/re-pair. I am going to try an exchange and see how it goes.
vincenzowl
Guide
Guide
After about 12 hours with the replacement camera, I can say that it's definitely less pixel-y and better overall. There's no more of the washed out colors I was seeing from 7-9 AM in the mornings as well.

It's still soft around the edges and there's less detail than the original Arlo though. I really think that's down to the wider viewing angle at the same 720p resolution. It's not terrible though. I'm also seeing the blurry-clear jumps on my camera as you stated, but if engineers are working on it, hopefully that can be fixed.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Great that the replacement camera is better. Guess it shows Netgear probably need to tighten their QC process

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

vincenzowl wrote:
 I'm also seeing the blurry-clear jumps on my camera as you stated, but if engineers are working on it, hopefully that can be fixed.

I do think that the blurry-clear effect is the compression working on Key frames... may be more prone if more movement

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------