Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
sshadowssin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wonder if the new Arlo Pro basestation will support local storage of video shot from the original Arlo wire free cameras. I already have 3 original arlo wire-free and would like to buy a single Arlo Pro camera+base station and move my 3 original Arlo's to it, but will this setup allow local recording of all cameras, old as well as new?

Thanks,

-DC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sshadowssin wrote:

I wonder if the new Arlo Pro basestation will support local storage of video shot from the original Arlo wire free cameras.

Yes .... (the base staiton will also be available by itself in the future)... you will be able to local record with the NEW BASE using the older Arlos.

it will work like the Q cams, dual record to cloud and mem usb stick.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sshadowssin wrote:

I wonder if the new Arlo Pro basestation will support local storage of video shot from the original Arlo wire free cameras.

Yes .... (the base staiton will also be available by itself in the future)... you will be able to local record with the NEW BASE using the older Arlos.

it will work like the Q cams, dual record to cloud and mem usb stick.

Morse is faster than texting!
phankhi
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 questions:

- Is there a storage limit on the local storage (new Arlo pro hub), like can I use a 2TB portable hard drive, or does it only accept usb sticks?

- Can I use both local storage and the free 7-day cloud backup to store the video footage?

auiwowie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am wondering if the old base stations will now also support local backup to USB/ Disk?

Or is this feature only supportet with the new PRO base station?

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

phankhi,

1. The Arlo Pro Base Station supports a local storage device with a maximum of 2TB worth of storage (storage format must be FAT32). An external hard drive would work in these conditions but be sure to use an external power supply for these larger drives to avoid drawing too much current from the USB port on the base station.

2. Yes. When the local storage feature is enabled, recordings will arrive to both your local storage device and the cloud. If the internet connection is lost, recordings will still route to your local storage device.

auiwowie,

The local storage feature is only available on the Arlo Pro Base Station.

JamesC

PJMLAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will the Pro "base station usb storage device" record the video stream continuously if the Pro camera is plugged into an external AC power supply (thus, no battery limitations)?  

Can you set recording to continuous rather than 2 min maximum if plugged into external AC power supply?

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
While I like the idea of local storage, I am not sure how practical it will be. If the Internet is down, it is likely caused by power failure. Since the base unit contains no battery backup as far as I know, how will this work short of some sort of battery backup system? Am I missing something? My electricity is more like to go out than my fiber optic internet. That is when I would want local storage, but again, I don't think it will work under this scenario.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A small to medium size UPS/battery backup used for all your network equipment would be useful. I have a 750VA one that has the modem, router, base and USB hard drive plugged into it and has worked for a few hours without a problem. Testing would be needed to see how long any unit would last but quick calculations based on measured current draw seems to indicate that I might have an 18 hour capability. Not gonna find the real limit due to the incessant beeping of the UPS when power is cut.