Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro USB storage capacity?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TalJarvia
Tutor
Tutor

I'm trying to get an idea of how much storage I should buy in a new USB drive, but I have no frame of reference for the new Arlo Pro with Pro base station.  Assuming 4 cameras active for 18 hours a day - motion alerts are fairly infrequent but let's assume they are recording a couple hours a day to be on the safe side.  Approximately how long would, say, 32Gb last me?  Apologies if I missed this information in the manual but I don't see it mentioned.  Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

One ten second clip is aprox 1 MB, so if set for 30 seconds its 3 mb, One min is 6 mb....

You do the math.... a 32 gb will be plenty as your not going to need it unless the internet goes down, also you can not view directly from the USB device unless ejected and then viewed on a local machine.

BUT, I can say if your planning on a couple of hours per day of recording , your batteries ( if not running on AC ) will not last long.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

One ten second clip is aprox 1 MB, so if set for 30 seconds its 3 mb, One min is 6 mb....

You do the math.... a 32 gb will be plenty as your not going to need it unless the internet goes down, also you can not view directly from the USB device unless ejected and then viewed on a local machine.

BUT, I can say if your planning on a couple of hours per day of recording , your batteries ( if not running on AC ) will not last long.

TalJarvia
Tutor
Tutor

Many thanks - so by my math, 32Gb should roughly hold 45 days.  I can't see why I'd want storage any farther back than that.  

I meant a couple hours total between all cameras - so up to 30 minutes per camera per day.  I think that is very excessive based on my current recording time, but figured I might as well go conservative.... 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just remember, to get the stated longevity out of the battery pack, spec use is  aprox 5 min per day on a camera