Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jbast01
Initiate
Initiate

I had an incident at my home and throughout my neighborhood regarding several car break ins and car thefts. My camera luckily picked up the motion in my driveway when the car pulled up to the house. It recorded him for 16 seconds which was long enough to see him start to look into my vehicle and then cut off and it didn't start recording again. I have had these cameras for a little over a month and this is the first time I have truly needed them and I feel like they failed to do their job. I have each of my 5 cameras sensitivity at 75% or higher and set to record until he motion stops. For some reason 16 seconds seems to be the common amount of time that they all record for regardless of motion or activity. I do have instances where they record longer, but each instance is a little different. I do know that most of them that cut off after 16 seconds are cutting off during motion. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

57 REPLIES 57
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

JPC wrote:

I did a quick test between "Record until Activity stops" and "Record for a fixed length".. I highly recommend "Record for a fixed length".. Why? There's very little 1-3 sec pause when motion still exist to start recording again.. "Record until Activity stops" however, have 5-10 sec pause when motion still exist and start recording again.. 5-10 sec pause can be a lot of info to miss.. Now, this is my test (Sensitivity - 97 at 16sec length since this is the default on "Rec until Act stops").. Maybe different on yours.. Bottom line is I find  "Rec for a fixed length" works really well for me.. My setup is wired with battery inside.. Two Modes [(Morning-Battery/Evening-Wired(Charging)(Rec fixed length - 120sec)].. So far it's been recording at the exact time length.. Quite an improvement than the non-Pro Arlo which I also have and I must say the new Base Station is what made a difference.. Both of my cameras Pros and Non-Pros are perfectly well with this new Base Station.. 

I am seeing 5-10 seconds easy to start recording with either setting and that is if it catches the motion at all. There are still major gaps between clips. Some times it does not even start recording again and misses.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Try raising your Motion Sensitivity.. You notice my setup Sensitivity is almost in 100%? It needs to pickup that motion else it's going to have a longer pause.. Also, try re-booting your system whenever you do some changes.. Hope this helps a bit

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

JPC wrote:

Try raising your Motion Sensitivity.. It needs to pickup that motion else it's going to have a longer pause.. Also, try re-booting your system whenever you do some changes.. Hope this helps a bit

Been at 100% sensitivity. Have rebooted a dozen times. Its either hardware limiation or bad implementation (software design). Netgear needs to step up, accept there is a problem, and fix it or re-design the product.

Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've also tested the motion recording option and it indeed stops recording at :16 even with constant motion in excellent lighting where I was backlit and fully visible. I've changed my settings back to record for :30 on motion. So disappointing.

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

i have to agree with jpc... fixed length recording at least records for the lenght specified...  

ERIC-LUI1
Tutor
Tutor

can NetGear really face this and provide us update asap?

this is not a setup error and obviously the system does not work as what us, the layman users, expected.

I'm very disappointed with the product and so regretted that i have bought this ARLO so called "PRO" version. 😞

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. If you have a case open already with support, please provide me with the case number and I will add your case to the escalation for review.

JamesC

rvenneman
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

I would change it over to a set amount of record time in stead of what your using... 1-2 mins

And if the car their turns his face to the camera 2:01 after the recording starts... then what?? 

Is it so difficult to make it work to detect intruders??

ERIC-LUI1
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks JamesC for escalating the issues. You will be our life saver.
If you need a case number, I tell you what? I don't have one. Why??

The support hotline is a trash. Those Filipino/ Indian CS just keep asking me to restart the base station and the cameras and wouldn't face the issue that this is a system bug. Everyone of us here knows that this is not a base station restarting problem. IT IS A BUG. I pissed and gave up with the hotline. I don't have a case number. So sorry.

I chose Netgear for my home security since I thought the product is promising and wouldn't bring us down with that money paid. And I really regretted. What being said on the box is not what we expected. It won't even send us notification when someone unplugged the base station. What a nightmare. It literally cannot claim itself as a home security product. 😞 oh well, off topic!

Please have the bug fixed for us asap and bring us all existing customer happy again. This shouldn't be something too difficult to fix. But to us, we would really appreciate it. Thanks netgear, thanks JamesC!!
O1881
Initiate
Initiate
I have been having the same problem with all my cameras. The motion does not have to stop before the cameras stop recording at 16 seconds. I have had many recordings of vehicles still in motion within recording range and the recordings stop at 16 seconds. Also I have noticed when they do record more than 16 seconds it's never any more than 21 seconds and only records that length of time after the movement has went out of camera view. This is definitely an arlo problem that really needs to be resolved. There's not that many people out there using the same system that have the same problem and it be a, so called "operator error". The setting for recording until motion stops for up to 300 seconds should be just that and it is not. I will start posting all my recordings of this happening and I suggest others do the same until arlo/ netgear gets their problem fixed.
Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice
Remember to fiwnload the videos first. Then share them. Or else after a week they will not be viewable
Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice
*download
rvenneman
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I upload a video?

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

In library click on share.  Then copy link .   make a reply and paste link. https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/1BC9D28F4DD23780_201707

Time to get the ladder out and remove spider webs lol

rvenneman
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adjustments to this feature were made in the most recent firmware release. Be sure your Arlo Pro camera is up to date with the latest firmware: Release Notes – Arlo Pro Camera 1.092.0.4_13099 – 10th July 2017

Please let me know if you continue experiencing issues. 

JamesC

DaddyO2
Initiate
Initiate

I am running the latest update and still have the problem of recording. It has even NOT recorded motion a couple of times.I have it set at 300 seconds and the most it will record is about 20 seconds. Asfor not recording I was out of town and had a person feeding my dogs,one time it only recorded her leaving and not arriving. Tried to talk to her but she could not hear me.Will post problem with speaker on other thread.

Outdoor --Back door and gate

VMC40301 Pro   1.092.04_13099  Hardware H8

IPhone 6 IOS 10.3.3

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did Netgear ever resolve this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The resolution is to ensure that motion can still be detected. If the motion has moved outside of the detectable range, recording will stop. You can test this by using the Motion Detecion Test in Settings or by setting 10 second recordings and test the range where the camera will record.

KatS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also am having the same issue. I have only had the cameras for 3 days, and have tried every imaginable combination of fixed time, maximum time, and only record until motion stops. While on "only record until motion stops", the average recording time is 14-16 seconds, and it stops every time - even when there's a car or person walking right in the middle of the camera range, which should not stop the recording. Then, I thought, "well, as soon as the recording stops, the camera will detect motion and will start recording again, right?" No such luck. I am returning them today. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KatS,

How far away from the camera is the object or person you are recording? If they are out of the cameras detection range, this would cause the camera to stop recording even though they may still be visible on the recording.

JamesC

DesignoSLK
Star
Star

So, obviously this little "stops recording" issue hasn't been resolved yet. I've ony had mine a few days and the function to record until motion stops only lasts about 15-20 secs. Not cool given what this system costs. And I must have the latest firmware as it had to do that before I could view anything. Is there a fix for this??

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I set all my cameras to 100% sensitivity and record for a fixed length of 1 minute. Works perfect, never misses what I need to view. With it set like this it keeps recording up to the one minute even though the motion has stopped, but it's better to have more than needed than to have it stop to soon.

And if you set it up this way and are worried it will drain the batteries too fast because of the longer recording times.....between my 4 cameras inside and my pets constantly setting them off all day long, I still get 3 months out of the battery, easy.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@pc2k17wrote:

I set all my cameras to 100% sensitivity and record for a fixed length of 1 minute.

Sorry I misspoke on my previous post. 3 of my cameras inside are set to record for 1 minute, the 4th camera in my attached garage is set to record until motion stops. All set to 100% sensitivity. And they all work perfectly.

This morning my camera in the attached garage, set to record until motion stops, recorded for 1 minute and 46 seconds. This was me walking out the door, locking the door, zipping up my jacket, walking to the car, loading my work stuff into the car and getting into the car. So for me it's working exactly as intended.

If your having issues where it stops recording before motion has stopped my guess is you need to mount the camera at the recommended heights and angles. If set up right, it should work fine. When I first got my cameras I had to play around with height and angle with the one in the garage to get it to work just right. Now it covers motion in the entire 2-1/2 car garage and records until motion stops. Hopefully this helps you. If you still have issues it's possible you got a bad camera.

DesignoSLK
Star
Star

pc2k17, I wasn't aware there were height and angle limitations. Admittedly, I didn't read the instructions beyond pairing them to the base. Okay...I'll fully read the manual. Robot Embarassed