Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Stopped recording after 16 seconds during motion/activity

Discussion stats
jbast01
Initiate
Initiate

I had an incident at my home and throughout my neighborhood regarding several car break ins and car thefts. My camera luckily picked up the motion in my driveway when the car pulled up to the house. It recorded him for 16 seconds which was long enough to see him start to look into my vehicle and then cut off and it didn't start recording again. I have had these cameras for a little over a month and this is the first time I have truly needed them and I feel like they failed to do their job. I have each of my 5 cameras sensitivity at 75% or higher and set to record until he motion stops. For some reason 16 seconds seems to be the common amount of time that they all record for regardless of motion or activity. I do have instances where they record longer, but each instance is a little different. I do know that most of them that cut off after 16 seconds are cutting off during motion. Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

57 REPLIES 57
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would change it over to a set amount of record time in stead of what your using... 1-2 mins

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
My tests of record while motion continues resulted in 16 second videos when motion stopped for more than 5 seconds. Don't forget that the motion still has to be detectable within the range of the camera. Motion may be visible to you but not to the camera.
JJandCJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where do I change the length of recording? Both cameras record only 10 seconds, regardless of motion.

jbast01
Initiate
Initiate

Under Mode, then select the mode (probably armed) click on the pencil to edit the mode, notification of "X" camera detects motion, record video, that screen will have your options. Hope that helps 

JJandCJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it. Success!  Thanks!

Arlo-Owner
Guide
Guide

This is realy an issue and Netgear needs to fix it ASAP as it makes the option of recording as long as motion detected useless.

I set my recording opiton to record as long as motion is detdected (max 300s) but even though the object is still moving and also making noises but Arlo stops recording in 16 seconds (most of the times). 

I really need this option, 16 seconds is so little. I do not like using fix time recording for 2 reasons: 1) it is maximum is just 120s which is not enough sometimes 2) most of the time it records useless  no-motion secens.

Please  also add unlimited recording to the local storage if availble. If I have connceted my arlo to power and also provided local storage (external gard drive) why can not I record to the  local storage as long as motion is detdected . I mean no 300 seconds limit.  

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue 😞 I agree that they should allow you continous recording to local storage!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As mentioned before, the motion has to be DETECTABLE within about 5 seconds for the recording to continue. I've tested this and found that it works as advertised. The minimum recording is typically 16 seconds but longer is possible when the subject remains moving in the detection zone, generally moving side to side, not at the camera. You can, and should, test it yourself by using these parameters as a guide.
Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

there are 2 topics on the same issue...

doubt it will be fixed as it will fill the cloud server too quickly

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's a couple examples of longer recording (me fixing a flat in the rain):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m09oi43pysi0pfc/1495718862007.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy79f4z2mgr8rku/1495720646097.mp4?dl=0

Arlo-Owner
Guide
Guide

Probably you missed my point. I am suggesting unlimited recording to the local storage NOT CLOUD. If I have 4TB external hard drive connected to the base I see no issue with unlimited recrding as long as motion is detected.

This could be just a software update. This is a big selling point and huge missing feature comparing Arlo ot traditional security cameras. I bought this camrea assuming I can record all the motions to my local external hard drive.

Arlo-Owner
Guide
Guide

I do not know how you are testing this but I have my recoding showing the isssue very clearly. I can not share here due to privacy reasons, but the person is just walking and talking and Arlo cuts recording in 16 seconds while the object still moving. there is not even one second gap. 

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo-Owner wrote:

Probably you missed my point. I am suggesting unlimited recording to the local storage NOT CLOUD. If I have 4TB external hard drive connected to the base I see no issue with unlimited recrding as long as motion is detected.

This could be just a software update. This is a big selling point and huge missing feature comparing Arlo ot traditional security cameras. I bought this camrea assuming I can record all the motions to my local external hard drive.

+1

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo-Owner, mystery9

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Arlo-Owner, mystery9

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

All they have suggested is re-pairing and rebooting

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Didn't we all know that this system was cloud based when we bought it? I certainly did.
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
Didn't we all know that this system was cloud based when we bought it? I certainly did.

No one is disputing that. Maybe if the device actually detected motion well and didnt leave users with 16 second clips that are missing all the action no one would be worried about continuous local recording....

Arlo-Owner
Guide
Guide

I did not read the spec very carefully, and I thought supporting external HD means Arlo can record to external device automaticly like many other traditional security cameras. But when I read the spec carefully, I realized I can just manully  download the videos to my external HD for later viewing. This seems to me pretty usless feature. I can download viedos from browser to anywhere I want (my google drive, my PC, My Dropbox). why should I bother to buy a spparete external HD and connect to Arlo base. 

Anyway, the point is that, unlimited recording to local drive is a huge improvment and a huge missed feature and I believe it should be the matter of software upgrade because Arlo camera and Arlo base are wirellessly conncted, so when recording to the cloud, Arlo can also record to the local storage in parallel.

Arlo-Owner
Guide
Guide

By the way, from unlimited local recording I do not mean recording forever.What I mean is "record as long as motioon detected and external hard has space"

Freddy112178
Tutor
Tutor
How do you get 16-21. Mjne is only 10seconds for motivating n outside....

Inside for an audio is 16 odd. Is there a setting that needs to be used? I cant seen to figure it out. A little libgwr will help for me with my recordings
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you're not using "record until motion stops, the default recording time is 10 seconds.  Check your modes in the Mode tab.

Smarks
Star
Star
I agree this is still an issue. I had deer in my front yard last night and you can clearly see the deer moving and the video stops. Sensitivity is set at 90 on this camera. Please help!

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/7A07D24D92A4DA02_201706
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

My cameras missed a major incident. What a joke this product is!

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I did a quick test between "Record until Activity stops" and "Record for a fixed length".. I highly recommend "Record for a fixed length".. Why? There's very little 1-3 sec pause when motion still exist to start recording again.. "Record until Activity stops" however, have 5-10 sec pause when motion still exist and start recording again.. 5-10 sec pause can be a lot of info to miss.. Now, this is my test (Sensitivity - 97 at 16sec length since this is the default on "Rec until Act stops").. Maybe different on yours.. Bottom line is I find  "Rec for a fixed length" works really well for me.. My setup is wired with battery inside.. Two Modes [(Morning-Battery/Evening-Wired(Charging)(Rec fixed length - 120sec)].. So far it's been recording at the exact time length.. Quite an improvement than the non-Pro Arlo which I also have and I must say the new Base Station is what made a difference.. Both of my cameras Pros and Non-Pros are perfectly well with this new Base Station..