Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

So everyone is getting super bad pixelated/low quality video from their Arlo Pros with this last update, right? I didn't think they could do worse than the previous update, but they proved me wrong!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

For those of you still experiencing an issue with pixelated video, we have released a firmware update that resolves this issue. Please make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Firmware Details:

-Arlo Pro VMC4030 Firmware 1.092.0.24_985

-Firmware Release Note

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

FYI, the video quality on my Pros from the base station update over the weekend has crippled their video quality just like the last firmware update did for my basic non-Pro cameras. So if anyone has the Pros, yes the video is absolute trash now. 

Guessing Arlo will respond in 2 weeks with "we've release a new firmware that fixes some issues some users were experiencing" that only wrecks something else.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac wrote:

So everyone is getting super bad pixelated/low quality video from their Arlo Pros with this last update, right? I didn't think they could do worse than the previous update, but they proved me wrong!

Our aren't that bad, but since the last firmware update that somewhat improved the herky-jerky pixellated problem with the basic arlos, our Arlo Pros now have developed a bit of a grainy picture but worse is the same herky-jerky flow of the video like the basic arlos.

BenMere
Guide
Guide

Yes same pixelated/fuzzy picture and video now. My Wyze cameras have better picture quality than my Alro Smiley Frustrated   

I have also noticed that the Arlo cameras will randomly turn on there IR sensors but don’t take videos. They only reason I know is because my Wyze Cameras that are outdoors will see them turn on in the middle of the night but there is no movement or motion detected. 

Tgirl07
Guide
Guide

I noticed that my camera also has been pixelated.

JamesC70
Aspirant
Aspirant

The image quality on my pro 2 is not 1080p (as far as I know) and I see no difference at all between Best Video, Optimized and Best Battery Life plugged in or not. They all look the same. I've noticed that others have had the same issue. Is there something that can be done to fix this?

Carlosmp
Star
Star

I have the Arlo Pro (Not Pro 2) but I have noticed that the video quality has gotten worse over time.

I have all cameras set to "best quality" but the video is still grainy and pixelated. I'm assuming one of the firmware updates degraded the quality. There is also no difference watching the videos on a desktop or on a mobile device, so I don't believe it's a streaming issue.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

There are a bunch of threads across multiple forums on this topic - the original Arlo and Arlo Pro are also affected. The running theory is Arlo regrets selling devices with free 7 day rolling cloud storage and is crippling them via firmware to "encourage" customers to get Ultra or Pro 3.

Shady at best, fraudulent most likely.

Carlosmp
Star
Star

I would have no problem buying the new cameras to replace my old ones, and I would even consider signing up for the cloud subscription ( and add the security system if it ever comes out) IF....

IF their products worked well and where stable, IF they had more reliable Geofencing, IF the video definition is consistent and High quality , IF the lag time between motion detection and recoding did not mean I miss the detected motion..IF the app did not need 6 months of troubleshooting and end user beta testing with each new update...IF

In other words, I have no problem paying for quality.... which at the moment they are not providing.

In all honestly the geofencing is the one feature that keeps me from switching to a different system, even if it does not always work.

Crippling my current system to encourage me to upgrade will actually make me switch to a different company.

How about instead they offer a reliable, high quality product with solid customer support and offer incentive discounts to existing customers to upgrade.

JamesC70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for all the replies. I guess there's nothing to be done about the image quality or other issues with the system.

I have read about Arlo's plan as well. To my knowledge, no one from Arlo has jumped in to dispute this claim. I can only imagine that it's true. That would be very self-sabotaging business practice in all kinds of ways. We live in a world of mass communication. There are reviews on everything. True or untrue customers will think twice before purchasing Arlo products. I won't be thinking twice about it. 

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Have a little read of this.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/arlo-technologies-inc-arlo-q2-142410180.html

Subscription is an important  part of their business and they are  tailored towards going down this route.

the review section of the chief executives statement is interesting too. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think a subscription is fine, if when you buy the product, you know that's part of the deal. For those of us who bought Arlo because no subscription was required, we're now getting burned by firmware crippling our system.

My cameras haven't worked reliably since May 2019. I've filed a BBB complaint, and it's literally been weeks of useless emails from Arlo support stalling and stalling.

Their customer service is absolutely atrocious.

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

I’m in the same boat although I’m fairly new but I’m a tad disappointed with the product including it’s rather large range of niggling issues.

i don’t want a subscription, I want it just to work as intended not battle for hours trying to get voice announcements to work on my echo devices and ever changing motion detection.

When a company who’s shares drop 80% start to look at investors more than end users it’s worrying. You can see where it’s heading. 

JamesC70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if Amazon Blink or any other camera, works with the Arlo base station?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JamesC70

The Arlo devices are the only camera's that will work with the base station. Is there a specific feature you are looking for?

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

We are all experiencing poor quality images (these are NOT 1080 anymore) and terrible recorded video issues (freezing images, pixelating, speeding up, etc.)   We all know this was much better before this update.

The question is:

ARLO.... WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO CORRECT THIS?   ....Or are we all just screwed?

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yup, I second that. I don’t find the recording that great anymore either. A ton of cash for freezing, pixelated, 720p at best. And I really love it when the object being recorded simply vanishes from the screen!  One second it’s there, and then it’s gone. Yet the recording carries on for a minute. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Identical issues for me - and I mean Identical. Instead of Arlo coming in here to tell us ALL to waste hours resetting/re-syncing etc., how about actually fixing the firmware they ruined since that's clearly the cause here.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks to one kind, honest soul on Reddit, we learned Arlo FINALLY fixed the firmware bug that has been giving us crappy video quality since May 21. My Pro cameras received FW 1.092.0.24_985 overnight.

from Reddit:

"This firmware fixes a major pixelation issue for Pro videos and livestream.

The bitrate and the video quality were bad because of a bug on the base station.

It is now fixed on the camera.

Source: I wrote the debug code and released the FW for QA testing. I’m a FW engineer at Arlo."

Where is our apology, Arlo Support? All the time wasted you made your customers waste instead of owning up to the problem we told you about for the past 6 months? @ShayneS @JamesC @JessicaP 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

For those of you still experiencing an issue with pixelated video, we have released a firmware update that resolves this issue. Please make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Firmware Details:

-Firmware Release Note

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Ok, its true. We have received the updated firmware and it appears as if the video issue has been resolved on the Pros.

Will need time to see if the motion capture issue is resolved as well.

JamesC70
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I update the firmware?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JamesC70

The camera will be updated automatically. If you would like to check that status of the firmware, you may got to Settings > My Devices > Select Camera > Device Info > Firmware.

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

Firmware Details:

-Firmware Release Note

What about VMB4000r3.

Pixelated video,

delayed recording.

Thumbnails showing what is not recorded.

Constant logging out. 

Being told I don't own my device.
Geo-fencing not working.

All used to work as advertised, with the exception of Geo fencing. That has never worked.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

We have the VMB4000r3 as well.

So far the video looks to be back to normal, but the motion capture on our Pros still is not back to where it was.