Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the expected range in motion detction for Arlo Pro? Not detecting motion properly.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Richard_abra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all help required with an Arlo pro. What’s the expected range in motion detection? I have my garage camera set up and works great but won’t detect unless very close to the garage. For example someone could walk half way down my drive way and it does pick you up or I can park my car at the end and again it doesn’t detect anything. Sensitivity on 100% . Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQ here on best camera positioning. Motion should be across the FOV, not at the camera. Detection is out to ~25 feet for people. Make sure you're changing the sensitivity in your modes and rules (another FAQ), not in the motion test.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQ here on best camera positioning. Motion should be across the FOV, not at the camera. Detection is out to ~25 feet for people. Make sure you're changing the sensitivity in your modes and rules (another FAQ), not in the motion test.

Richard_abra
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for your reply.

In motion test the light flashes and it detects motion all the way up the drive way. Just dosnt work as it should when it’s monitoring itself.

Also I tried a test and moved the camera so that it’s facing the house more. Meaning walking down the drive would be walking across the camera more and the issue it worse! Very strange.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And you're setting the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? The motion test is just a test and doesn't save.

Richard_abra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply, i have 3 camera set on a schedule, it dosnt look like i can set modes and schedule at the same time? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You create as many modes as needed for specific needs and time periods. Then place them appropriately in the schedule. WHen you enable the sachedule, the modes are automatically selected so no, you don't use modes AND the schedule, just the schedule.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Richard_abra wrote:

Thank you for your reply, i have 3 camera set on a schedule, it dosnt look like i can set modes and schedule at the same time? 

The point of the schedule is to set a mode automatically based on time of day.  That includes custom modes.  You can switch to a specific mode manually at any time - but you do need to remember to change it back to scheduled at some point afterwards.

Richard_abra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so to be clear, i make a mode for each camera and set the rules, then make an 'Armed' schdule and select it. This will then use the rules i set in all the modes for all cameras?

Thanks for your help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Richard_abra wrote:

Ok so to be clear, i make a mode for each camera and set the rules, then make an 'Armed' schdule and select it. This will then use the rules i set in all the modes for all cameras?

Almost.  Only one mode can be active on a base at a time.  Each mode has rules for all the cameras on the base that you want activated when you select that mode.  Then you create a schedule that uses the modes you want for different times of the day (just called the "Scheduled" mode in the UI, not an "Armed" schedule).

The rub here is that in some cases you can end up with a lot of modes.  But usually it is workable.