Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
bcrump
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased a new Arlo Pro Smart Home Security system with 4 Camera's on 12/26/2018, and after I got the first Camera setup and working, I notice a really bad lag in the video, and Audio.  To the point I was about to put the product back in the back and return it.  I thought i might just need to get everything setup and all cameras in place and all settings setup.  After a week of using the produce, I see that the lagging has not improved at all.  I can seem to find anything on the web or this sit, and support to help with this matter.  Does anyone know if you can send the product back to Netgear, or file some kind of grievance toward the product.  I went back to BestBuy and told the people there not to recommend the produce to anyone else, because what could be a great product, just is unusable at this point.  Sad, because I spent good money!

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the lag time? What happens if you place a camera near the base for testing - any better? What's you Internet speeds as measured by speedtest.net, both up and down?

2-3 seconds after motion detection to start recording is normal. Worse than that suggests poor connection between the base and camera (distance, signal blockage, other 2.4GHz wireless devices interfering with the signal, etc.). Camera positioning is also needed so the PIR detectors can detect properly - read the FAQ here on best camera positioning.

bcrump
Tutor
Tutor

I have check my Speed, and my Internet is at 1.6MB upload, and 12MB download.  The Camera is just above the base, hung on the wall.  I have tested the feed, and it's about a 40 sec lag in live feed.  The Motion Alerts seem to work well, becuase I do get a notice within seconds of motions detection.  If it wasn't for the video feed that is uploaded to the cloud for my viewing, I could never see what activated the motion alert.  If i connect to live feed, and even use the audio, the lag is like 40 seconds behind. 

Nanekuca
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try separating the base as much as possible from your router. Some folks have repoted issues that were resolved by doing this.

bcrump
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat Did not work. I was going to sign up for a subscriptions service but at this point, I'm not sure that would be a good move.

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
The probkem may be your internet speed. The critical speed is the upload. 1.6 mb is pretty slow, especially if two or more cameras are recording at the same time. There could also be other traffic on your internet upload.

I would say your at the bare minimum upload speed. Other factors as others have stated could also be invoked.
bcrump
Tutor
Tutor

Well, then that's the case then.  I didn't know when i purchased that the 1.6 download wasn't adequate enough.  I guess that's that then.  I will not be able to get a faster upload speed anytime soon due to the location, or until they upgrade services in my location. I would recommend a internet connection minimum requirement on the box, just FYI.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I had 1Mbps for a long time and the system worked fine. It's been a while so I don't know what firmware changes may have affected things.

Gabriel_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 37Mb download and 9Mb upload speed. The lag is strong with this one! Also my camera doesn't seem to see through a clear double glazed window or through the open wiondow for that matter, in broad daylight and I can't make-up a car number plate in my car park, the camera is on the first floor (2nd in UK) even on best quality video settings at about 25ft away. I'm a step away from packing it all in and send it back. For the money I've paid this is a joke. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Lag" doesn't tell us much - time it and tell us.

No PIR sensor is going to work through glass which blocks the IR needed to trigger the camera. An open window should be fine althou screens may prove to be an issue.

Physics is at play here with the Pro having 720p or <1 megapixel resolution plus compression plus a very wide angle lens. These aren't ID cameras which would require a much longer focal length for starters. If you need details, you would need to get the camera closer, which would approximate the longer focal length.

Gabriel_S
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lag is solid 2 seconds and then after 3-4 it freezes. 

I had a cheap 30 dollar wi-fi security camera and it worked fine through the same window, so I'm sorry but I expected more from Arlo. Not at night, obviously but in broad day light there is no excuse. If the motion is detected by calculating the difference in light between sequencial frames you can get it to work through glass. And I could tell the number plates from the footage with the cheap one. 

I can see it working fine indoor apart from the lag