Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Chrome Flash Player Won't update PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion stats
Apprentice
Apprentice

My default browser is Chrome (latest version) and I have been using Arlo Pro cams for over a year. Recently I started getting messages after opening the Arlo app on Windows 7 to update to the latest flash player version. I do so but in subsequent instances of opening the app I get the same message. I read past threads about changing the setting for Arlo to always allow flash but seems this option is no longer available. What to do? NG should fix this BS. Who uses flash these days anyway? I think Chrome is phasing out flash. The options now are to completely block or allow episodically but I see no option to allow certain sites to use flash. Thanks in advance for any qualified knowledgeable help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, the latest desktop Chrome needs additional settings to get things to work since they're essentially disabling/abandoning Flash:

1) Enter this into the URL bar: chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission

2) Disable this setting.

3) Restart Chrome.

View solution in original post

100 REPLIES 100
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Put this in your browser address bar and then add https://arlo.netgear.com

chrome://settings/content/flash

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, the latest desktop Chrome needs additional settings to get things to work since they're essentially disabling/abandoning Flash:

1) Enter this into the URL bar: chrome://flags/#enable-ephemeral-flash-permission

2) Disable this setting.

3) Restart Chrome.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, yes I reversed the first suggestion as it caused some kind of lock up. Now on the new workaround, does this imply Flash is available to all apps? Isn't that a security risk of so? Also the definiation of ephermeral is its short term. What does that mean with respect to Chrome, Flash and the Arlo Program?

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Google has done this for a reason. Note that Flash is regarded by some as a security risk from nefarious sites. I leave my Flash with ask permission.

What has changed with Chrome is that permission is needed for a site every new session. Once given it is added to the allow list until you end your Chrome session. Once ended that goes away, unless you go through the routine @jguerdat lists above. There is more to this than just Google anticipating the Adobe support end in a bit over two years. Note that Flash is part of the Content Settings under Privacy and Security. There is a good reason for that location.

Nighthawk117
Star
Star

@steve_t wrote:

Put this in your browser address bar and then add https://arlo.netgear.com

chrome://settings/content/flash

This resets every time chrome is closed.

Nighthawk117
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

2) Disable this setting.

3) Restart Chrome.

This works!  Thanks!

stn
Aspirant
Aspirant

This solution worked for me.  And amazingly, at least for today, it seemed to fix the issue I had with one of my cameras not recording to the library.

pipsf
Star
Star

Thank you for sharing your solution, I was able to get rid of the warning after disabling the ephemeral setting, and then adding Arlo to the allowed sites whitelist via SteveT's chrome://settings/content/flash tip.

As a new Arlo user (just installed yesterday), I am *incredibly* disappointed that the Arlo site relies on Flash - a technology that even Adobe has given up on. Chrome, Firefox, and Safari all disable it by default due to significant security flaws. I sincerely hope Arlo's web team finds an alternative to Flash. They have about a year and a half to sort it out: https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/25/16026236/adobe-flash-end-of-support-2020

I'd be fine with an Arlo desktop app...

Erlander
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem using both Firefox and Chromium on a PC running Ubuntu Linux.

I have tried the above fixes but no improvement so far.

I try not to use any Microsoft software.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Erlander,

You will need to make sure your computer needs to meet the minimum requirements, which is running on Windows or macOS. You can read more about it here: What are the minimum requirements for installing and using my Arlo system?

Erlander
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is a real pain.

I haven't used Windows as my default operating system for about 15 years and I don't intend to start now.

Chromium and Firefox are my browsers .

pipsf
Star
Star

I'm a web developer, and I can tell you there is no reason why you should be requried to use any particular operating system to use the Arlo web site. The only oddity is that the site requires Flash, which is available for Linux. There is no tie-in to the desktop in any fashion, so any modern web browser, regardless of platform, should work. Firefox, Chromium, etc.

Arlo team, please don't drag us back to the dark ages of "the site must be viewed in Internet Explorer" We spent a good decade working to be free of these kinds of limitations. Esp. considering how much we paid for these Arlo camera systems.

Erlander
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you pipsf

They are my sentiments entirely and I intend to perservere with both Chromium and Firefox.

Over the years I've been successful at most of these challenges. The way it wants the latest version of Flash might be the only problem as the Linux version may not show up as the latest.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Erlander
Aspirant
Aspirant

After installing the Pepper flash non-free plugin flash is now working and I can use Live View in both Chromium and Firefox.

kart56
Guide
Guide

still can't login on chrome 

skisnkeys
Guide
Guide

I am having inconsistent results trying to logon to the Arlo site on all desktop browsers on a Mac.

THIS IS NOT A PC ONLY PROBLEM! 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@skisnkeys  @kart56

Have you tried to clear your cache and test again?

@skisnkeys

What other devices are you experiencing this issue with?

skisnkeys
Guide
Guide
Really? That would be the first thing I would do. Your website has some kind of Flash issue. it doesn't work properly on any browser on the Mac. The IOS version works fine. I am getting flash plugin errors for no reason (plugin is up to date). I tried it on the PC with similar results but on the Mac it misbehaves worse. The login is unresponsive and when it does respond it either brings up the camera screen or the camera screen flashes and then returns to the login screen. You have a flash issue.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Flash is an issue for live view, not login.

skisnkeys
Guide
Guide
I get that. The symptom is it bounces you out of the live view and I end up at the login . So it appears as though you can't log in.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's not has been said. We need ALL details to be able to properly help.

You make it sound like you log in, start a live view and get logged out. Logging in doesn't automatically start live view so what's up?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There are some very specific, uncommon, settings in chrome that you have to set in order for flash and the arlo website to work correctly.

@jguerdat

I believe you posted those before. I can't remember what those settings were.

skisnkeys
Guide
Guide
Folks, With all due respect, I am getting inconsistent behavior at login time on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, and on both the Mac & PC platform. It is not a caching problem nor a browser-specific problem. There are enough postings around regarding this application's flash implementation and issues with such. Netgear has to get their act together. This is obviously a weak link in the system. I have been a loyal Netgear customer for 20 years (Routers, Switches, Orbi, etc). In this case I have done my part and can't waste anymore of my time troubleshooting their problems. If I hadn't invested so much on the cameras I would look at Nest.. I'll use the IOS app and hope Netgear straightens this out.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@pc2k17 wrote:

There are some very specific, uncommon, settings in chrome that you have to set in order for flash and the arlo website to work correctly.

@jguerdat

I believe you posted those before. I can't remember what those settings were.

There was a specific flag to disable in Chrome v69-70 but that isn't available in v71. Right now I have no answers for Chrome 71+. Firefox works fine because it uses an external load of Flash and/or the settings haven't changed to exclude Flash being used.

I have no idea why some folks (not a large set) have issues with logging in. It works fine here on multipole devices and browsers. Maybe an extension that can be disabled or some quirk of anti-virus/firewall software?