Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Ede3030
Follower
Follower

I bought these cameras to be able to speak through them and have people or dogs easily hear. We can't barely hear the voice through the cameras. I have the most recent firmware and it's still so low. How can I increase the cameras speaker volume?! Or should I return them?

58 REPLIES 58
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Alot depends on the device used for the transmission of audio...

A PC whaich has an audio gain option works well... Android and or IOS are model specific as many times the gain is fixed.

Try a wired mic to the device if you have one or try speaker phone

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
booaoof
Guide
Guide

I have same issue and try with different devices (Iphone6, IPAD pro, other IPHONE6) and all have same result which is low volume speakers from all my 3  Arlo pro camers

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

booaoof,

Take a look at your cameras volume settings. Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the desired Arlo Pro > Audio Settings > make sure speaker volume is turned up. 

JamesC

booaoof
Guide
Guide
All my camers the speaker volume at Maximum, but the sound which is come too low. I hope you can fix this issue by updating the software
booaoof
Guide
Guide
I have sane issue and I used different devices (Iphone 6/ Ipad pro/ Iphone 7) and the speaker volume at Maximum and result all same which low volume. If the room very quiet maybe you can hear who talk, but the camers which fix out side my villa ( front door) no one can hear what am saying. I think the problem with the speaker its self. I bought those camers because the two ways talk.
I am looking for your support, please.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I find the volume is fine for indoors but not out.  Use of a computer, where you can increase mic gain unlike on a mobile device, works much better for outdoors.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

Agreed it works much better with an auxillary mic attaced to a phone.  I just used a bluetooth set and it was much better.  I prefer to not have a headset on all the time but this does lead me to think the android and apple apps need to be improved.

DanTran99
Star
Star
I just bought this system and am having the same issue. I tried the “tap” test and found that the sound is not picking up from the iPhone mic; it’s more responsive at the “noise canceling” mic next to the rear camera. This is bad software engineering. The sound is still whisper quiet if you try to use the noise cancelling mic.

Logic would dictate that reversing the roles of both mics would lower the output to the Arlo Pro cam. The rear mic on the iPhone is used to detect background noise and erase it from the main mic. If you reverse this, the main mic would pick up louder sound and cancel out the rear mic almost completely.

This is most likely the cause for the whisper quiet output from the Arlo Pro can. Netgear needs to correct their application!
M0381U5
Guide
Guide
2x Arlo Pro cameras + base station
Firmware updated
Volume set max 100%
2x Samsung Galaxy S8+
Muffled low volume
Barely understand anything even when absolutely quite.
Cameras turned off removed battery, resynced to be station, back on, still terrible sound. Uninstalled and reinstalled app on phone, still terrible sound.
This app need to be fixed immediate.
Rochie
Tutor
Tutor
Hi did you ever get this solved? I havea samsung S8+ also with the same problem.
liljestk
Aspirant
Aspirant
same issue on s8 and nvidia tablet. works fine through pc
Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Seems no solution.
I have same issue. Also, it takes several seconds to get a notification on my phone. A few seconds to view the video as it loads. Add another 5 to get my response, and the person is gone.
It's a feature that's really NOT useable.
D_boy
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased this for Christmas. Arlo pro x3 cameras. I have the same problem, ppl can't hear me at all. All firmware is updated and the app. My thoughts , why or who is on a PC for this system? We are all generally bolted to our phones. Netgear needs to address this with the app or whatever is wrong. I bought this system for all its functions. It isn't cheap in comparison to other systems. I hope netgear is addressing this and keeping their customers first.
M0381U5
Guide
Guide
Good luck. This has been an ongoing issue for some time now. Netgear do not seem to be the slightest interested in fixing the fault.
LawnMM
Star
Star
It's not Netgears fault, it's your mic level on your phone. Had an S6 Edge Plus when we bought the cameras, couldn't hear anything.

Upgraded to an S8 Active, works fine. Only difference is the phone. That's why they aren't "fixing" it...their app can't physically change the mic gain level on the phone.

I suspect newer camera versions will come with larger speakers to compensate.
Rochie
Tutor
Tutor
Well i tried it both on an iphone 6 and a Samsing S8 Plus and they are still low. The mic level is turned up to max
LawnMM
Star
Star
It's going to be specific based on phone model and *possibly* OS version. It's truly beyond their control, the only way Netgear could change it is putting bigger/louder speakers in future camera versions.

If you don't believe me try it with a laptop and plug in microphone. Turn up the mic gain level and it will work fine.
M0381U5
Guide
Guide
I have used Android Samsung S8+ , tab A 8.0 , iPad Mini, Microsoft Surface and custom built PC... ALL have the same problem, even when increasing mic gain.
When talking to tech support they tried to tell me they did not specify how load the speaker should be, which was a BS excuse. The sound is so low and do poor it is obviously far far below and practically variance.
Jessem
Star
Star

I have the same problem with a brand new Arlo pro.   Sound is too low for anyone to here you.   Support couldnt seem own up to there even being a problem.  Said I had a bad camera and that the camera had to be within 3 feet of the person.   Well I had it up to my ear and could bearly hear it.  It also has the latest firmware from october 2017.  Support logged into my account and spoke thru the speaker and it was louder but I figure they had some sort of gain on hteir end.   Could be a problem with the app it self.  They are sending me another camera.  If its the same way Im returning the whole thing.   No need to pay all that extra money for a pro if the speaker doesnt work.

Jess

Jessem
Star
Star

Not netgears fault?    Maybe they should have tested it with more phones before they started selling it.  Or even list compatible phones.   The video is great but I bought it for the mic and speaker.   Too much extra money for something that doesnt work.

D_boy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed! I've tried 3 different phones all newer still low volume. I even commented on Arlo's IG account with no response. They're aware and don't seem to care. I am considering returning the whole pro set up.
Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a basic knowledge of electronics. What I have surmised is a couple key issues. In my opinion:
1. the present circuitry is NOT capable of producing the ~1 watt of power needed for powering a proper speaker. Microphones use slightly different physics.
2. Such power needed would dramatically reduce the service life of the current Arlo battery.
3. The company may have misrepresented the utility of THIS feature.
4. There is NO ability for current Arlo CIRCUITRY to resolve the issue.

So, it is what it is as its said.....

DanTran99
Star
Star
Jeff, this is an incorrect assessment. The circuitry is fine and delivers the output fine. It’s their mobile software.

If using two way on a computer, it works fine. It’s actually loud and clear; even without setting a mic gain. I have a great feeling that since it’s hit or miss for some mobile users, it has to do with Netgear not coding their application correctly per platform/version.
M0381U5
Guide
Guide
To let you know, I have two cameras, and bought an additional AC power supply, so both my cameras have AC power. This should not be a problem.