Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm considering replacing some, most or all of my Arlos with the Arlo Pros, and I have a few questions that I hoped a board moderator may be able to answer:

1) Regarding the new Arlo Pro, it appears the expected battery life (between rechargings) is 4-6 months with spec use/recording (~5 minutes per day).  Does Arlo have any estimate for battery life if recording is ~1 minutes per day (or less)?  I have a ~5 cameras that don't get much action (fire escapes, roof, garage after midnight, etc.) and are in places where changing batteries is a bit of a hassle, so getting much longer use out of very low (way below spec) recording times would be very nice (and a worthwhile purchase).

2) Related to #1, would it be possible to get a year out of a Arlo Pro battery before recharge if it has almost zero recordings?  I know rechargeable batteries often drain at a certain rate even if a current isn't being pulled.  Do you know the drain rate per day, week, month or year for this battery if it sits idle on a shelf after being fully charged?

3) Are these Arlo custom rechargeable batteries Lithium Ion-based or some other technology?  Also, do these custom batteries have a built in protection circuit to protect them from over-charging or over-discharging?

4) I realize the batteries are meant for the Arlo-Pro only, but are they a brand new battery design, or are they based off a prior design or manufacturing spec that has a history in other relatevent applications (that include outdoor use)?  If these are a brand new design and being manufactured for the first time, I'd be a bit nervous to buy until they have some real world performance, relability and safety metrics (e.g., exposure to outside, heat, cold, moisture, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll answer best I can.

First remember that the Pro battery pask is 2440mahr which is close enough in the real world to rate like the OEM nonrechargeable cells at 2800-3000 mahr.

1) My normal use cameras ( on OEM cells ) run 4 months on BEST Video setting,  My LOW USE cameras like you mentioned ,1 min per day or less  , ( I use them only when out and then only ARMED ) last almost 7 months... So I would expect the new battery pack to be pretty close to that.

Mind that distance to base/ signal level can use more  power.

As a PS, Netgear is coming out with a solar panel for the PRO cams so you'll never have to change out the pack.

2) That's pushing it...maybe as I said 7 months, thos you might squeek another month out...YMMV.

As to self-discharge, a quick lookup states that rate typically stated by manufacturers to be 1.5-2% per month

3)Yes, they are Li-ion pack made up special for Netgear and the Pro rated at 7.2v @ 2440 maHr.....They charge up to about 8.4 v when fully charged.    I have no doubt at all that there is protection curcuit in the pack to prevent possible problems

4) While the shell itself is a new design, but Li-ion cells taht make up the pack are batteries have been around for quite a while, enough to know what going to happen in use... read this;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/Safety-Rules-for-Arlo-Pro-Rechargeable-Batterie...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll answer best I can.

First remember that the Pro battery pask is 2440mahr which is close enough in the real world to rate like the OEM nonrechargeable cells at 2800-3000 mahr.

1) My normal use cameras ( on OEM cells ) run 4 months on BEST Video setting,  My LOW USE cameras like you mentioned ,1 min per day or less  , ( I use them only when out and then only ARMED ) last almost 7 months... So I would expect the new battery pack to be pretty close to that.

Mind that distance to base/ signal level can use more  power.

As a PS, Netgear is coming out with a solar panel for the PRO cams so you'll never have to change out the pack.

2) That's pushing it...maybe as I said 7 months, thos you might squeek another month out...YMMV.

As to self-discharge, a quick lookup states that rate typically stated by manufacturers to be 1.5-2% per month

3)Yes, they are Li-ion pack made up special for Netgear and the Pro rated at 7.2v @ 2440 maHr.....They charge up to about 8.4 v when fully charged.    I have no doubt at all that there is protection curcuit in the pack to prevent possible problems

4) While the shell itself is a new design, but Li-ion cells taht make up the pack are batteries have been around for quite a while, enough to know what going to happen in use... read this;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/Safety-Rules-for-Arlo-Pro-Rechargeable-Batterie...

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, Tom.  Any idea yet when that solar panel is coming out?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Got me... they release the Pro yet? Amazon says the 27th

Shuz
Initiate
Initiate
So far the longest my two Arlo Pro batteries have lasted is 10 days and when they get below 68% they stop recording. Just saying I am a bit disappointed.
spewak
Apprentice
Apprentice

My battery life is nowhere near what Netgear is advertising/marketing. I am in the same boat Shuz. I haven't experienced the no recording below 68% yet.

Disappointed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How is the WiFi connection between the cameras and base?  If low or if there's wireless interference from other 2.4GHz devices nearby battery life will suffer.  Of course, live viewing affects this, too, not just recording.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For more information on battery life expectancy and tips on how to increase it, see here: How can I extend my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free, or Arlo Go camera’s battery life?

JamesC

Cajun1985
Tutor
Tutor
My battery life on my arlo pro is about a month and a half before I have to recharge it on lowest settings, such as, longest battery life for camera and 1 min recording and also set on geofencing mode and only records when I'm away and at 12am-6am.
Cajun1985
Tutor
Tutor
Does anyone know life expectancy of the arlo pro battery until you have to buy a new one?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Who knows? It depends on usage and number of recharges (I think 500 recharges are typical for this sort of battery). It's way too new to knolw about actual life expectancy.
spewak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Be warned: The battery life is nowhere near what Netgear advertises. You will be lucky if the battery lasts a month.

I have tried many different settings and the only settings that seem to eek out any longer life in the battery is to put the cams on the lowest settings possible. Low record time when motion, low sensitivity to motion. Just putting that out there. Me and quite a few others here in the Forums are experiencing this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

But not everyone so there's obviously some issue with the short battery life systems.  Could be a hardware or installation issue.  The latter can be camera positioning, wireless interference, etc. If it's the former, only returning the faulty devices for different one or opening a case with support will help.

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

@spewak A month is kind of low - but if you are in an area that is very busy then that can be expected. Did you contact support to see what they said? Support.netgear.com. Maybe moving it to a new area might be the best idea or adjusting it just a tab might make the difference.

Has anyone tested the battery life between the Arlo and the Arlo Pro system? They both claim to be 4-6 months I was just wondering if anyone has had better luck with one or the other.

Honestly I think the better choice is the Arlo Pro, but now that the Arlo has those Tenergy rechargeable batteries it makes it a lot more viable.

bengler1951
Guide
Guide

I purchased the package of 4 Arlo Pro Cameras with the base station. I am not getting more than 5 days from the batteries. I am charging them in the cameras in the house and leaving them for over 24 hours.

I do not get but about 5 days use out of any of the batteries.  I have the cameras set on medium quality video, and medium voice capture.  Something is very wrong.

I was getting that much on my old set of Arlo cameras and paying for batteries.  Sadly, no one has the chargers in stock, and Arlo has been out of the chargers for some time.  I have to use one of my cameras as a charging station, which really makes it a 3 camera system.  They also do not have the outdoor power cable out yet.

I have over 800.00 invested, the cameras were 649.99 and two extra batteries were 49.99 x 2.  and the sales tax for Nebraska 7.25 percent.

I am unhappy and all they want to do is give me a run around.  Cameras came out too early, and nothing to help with the batteries, and one should not have to have a camera not in use, only to charge batteries.  They put the cart before the horse.  We all need to make loud noise.  Byron R. Engler

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
If you get the same runtime from both the original and Pro cameras, that would be expected. That also suggests that something about your setup is worth investigating. How many total minutes per day of recording and live viewing are you doing per camera? What about the WiFi display for each camera? A weak or otherwise problematic signal can wear down the batteries as well as turning off the base. How many cameras are doing this? If one or more are ok, try swapping cameras around to see if the issue stays with the camera or the location. If all of them are a problem, it may be the position of the base, whether distance or wireless interference.
Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is now a NETGEAR approved wired solution for the Arlo Go and Arlo Pro.. It comes in the form of a 20 ft power adapter. made by NETGEAR.

Also the solar panel also available and is found on Best buy.

ShovelHed
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed. My cams get a total of 5-6 minutes of recording daily on optimal, which is a barely noticeable difference than low or best quality.
Slow response time is the Android app I hope. I'm usually on a smartphone(S8+) or my impressive hp ENVY 750-424 pc.
My wireless speed is no issue and I had the internet provider check with 2 different modem models and my 2 router network is not a cheap one. One stock firmware wrt 3200acm and another 3200acm with DD-WRT firmware.
Close to a perfect system but it could use a better base station cpu router setup and battery life to live up to it's advertising.
Great idea to grow with and it'll just get better with more time and updates... 🤞