Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
blitzo
Star
Star

Arlo App v2.5.1

iphone X

ios 11.3.1

Just bought and installed 2 of the 4 cameras.  The arlo app v2.5.1 (updated 2 days ago) works fine in setting up the system (have done this three times). After about 15-20 minutes of setting up (and messing around on) the cameras on the app; once im done im closing the app or switch to another app; the next time i try to open the app onwards, the app crashes whenever i try to access it.

I've tried this multiple times with no succes: https://www.howtoisolve.com/apps-crashing-in-ios-11-iphone-ipad/

The only things that works is reinstalling the app but only lasts until i no longer use the app (closed or just switching to another app) after install. All works well through the website but that removes the whole convience of the app / cam combo. Strangely enough, notifications on my phone still work even though the app cant open.

Been reading through the forum and trying for over 6 hours to fix this issue. (reset, reboot, install everything)  

Any thoughts on a solution for this? I cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

-------

Arlo App v.2.5.1 crashing on open - ios 11.3.1 iphone x - VMS4430P Arlo 2 Pro 4 Cams

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
omar3316
Initiate
Initiate
I had the same problem and it seems to be related to logging in with FaceID. Assuming you have FaceID enabled, try turning it off (in the app, go to Settings->Profile and turn off “Log in with Touch ID”). You’ll probably have to do it right after a fresh install so you can actually get into the app.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
omar3316
Initiate
Initiate
I had the same problem and it seems to be related to logging in with FaceID. Assuming you have FaceID enabled, try turning it off (in the app, go to Settings->Profile and turn off “Log in with Touch ID”). You’ll probably have to do it right after a fresh install so you can actually get into the app.
blitzo
Star
Star

awesome. fixed my crashing. all works well now except the recording duration.

thank you.

Kmx1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same issues, and tried disabling Face ID. Still the same, seems that if I disable my WiFi and only use my data it works. What’s going on?!?!?
blitzo
Star
Star

After I reinstalled and switched off face id it now doesnt crash anymore.  However, sometimes sound recordings are played on the app when i first start it up and even after I close down a video.

Kmx1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s happened to me before, the sound after closing the app.

Just tried again, and error message I get is internet connectivity issues, and asking me to try again. Odd, cause everything else in my house is working fine.
Hertsh
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue. I'm not going to disable face-ID on my phone to make this work. Face-ID is such an important functionality for efficiency that I won't turn it off.

Anyone knowing if this issue is acknowledged by Arlo and if they are working on a solution. For now, the system is useless for me. I get all notifications but cannot use the app.

Kmx1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
Disabling is only for the Arlo App itself. I no longer am prompt for Face ID. I agree this is annoying, and Arlo needs to do something about this. My issue seems to be with WiFi turned on, then I can no longer use the app
Kmx1010
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, now I am unable to use data, and Face ID as well. App crashes
Mack813
Aspirant
Aspirant
Im having the same issues as you kmx. App will not work with wifi on but will work over data
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a DNS problem that Netgear can't fix since they don't supply DNS services. I strongly suggest changing the default DNS server settings in your router from the ISP's to either Google or OpenDNS.

Mack813
Aspirant
Aspirant
That did fix my issue for wifi issues. Changed dns to 8.8.8.8

But im still having the issue of face id killing the app when its turned on for logon.

When its off it works find.

blitzo
Star
Star

@Hertsh wrote:

I have the same issue. I'm not going to disable face-ID on my phone to make this work. Face-ID is such an important functionality for efficiency that I won't turn it off.

Anyone knowing if this issue is acknowledged by Arlo and if they are working on a solution. For now, the system is useless for me. I get all notifications but cannot use the app.

yes this is only disabling faceid to access this app (part of the install process) only not disabling faceid in general on your iphone.

blitzo
Star
Star

@Mack813 wrote:
That did fix my issue for wifi issues. Changed dns to 8.8.8.8

But im still having the issue of face id killing the app when its turned on for logon.

When its off it works find.

yep on the dns issue, i had this issue then switched dns. i use cloudflare dns, which is meant to be the fastest now 1.1.1.1.  faster than google and opendns.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

.... still have the issue of the app forgetting my password.  hopefully thats not how hackers got access to everyones emails and passwords.

jtsharp
Guide
Guide

Thanks to all on this thread. I had the exact same issue with my wife's iPhone X running 10s 11.3.1 and arlo app version 2.5.1. The app crashed on opening, reset , power off, uninstall and reinstall all had no effect. Based on comments in this thread I uninstalled, reinstalled then deselcted using Face id and now it works. Ther app glitch needs a permanent fix.

jt

Hertsh
Tutor
Tutor
Seriously, this is a DNS error that is out of Netgear's control? How come it appeared first after the last APP-update? And how come this crash issue is only limited to this one specific APP?

If Netgear provides a service (this app) and it crashes on a common phone at households with "normal" dns-settings, it is their problem/fault and for them to fix.

It is not the customers' thing to fix through different settings on the routers or with their ISPs.

Sorry for the rant, but tired of people/companies putting blame of bad products on consumers or 3rd parties.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you use a Netgear DNS server? They don't have a public one so all they can do is to feed the real servers with correct information. My DNS is working fine with Netgear but I don't use the ISP's. You wanna push blame? B**** at your ISP and change your router's settings to use a real DNS server as mentioned above.

Hertsh
Tutor
Tutor
Everything worked perfectly until last update of the app. Nothing else has changed. Enough said.

The worst kind of customer service or fanboyism is the one that blames others for the fault of themselves.

All I asked was if someone knew that Netgear has acknowledged the issue., since it obviously is an issue with the app. Now - with original aim of being helpful - answers from gurus etc is that I'm doing something wrong because Netgear can't take responsibility for their products due to a simple issue with DNS. I don't want a blame game, I asked if someone knew whether Netgear is aware of the issue and work on fixing it. Because if they don't, they've potentially lost (at least) one customer.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently investigating an issue that some users are experiencing when face id is enabled and hope to be able to provide a fix soon. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the iOS Arlo mobile app is now available that should address this issue. Please visit the app store and make sure you have the latest version installed.

Release Notes - iOS App 2.5.2 - 31st May 2018

JamesC

blitzo
Star
Star

@JamesC wrote:

A new version of the iOS Arlo mobile app is now available that should address this issue. Please visit the app store and make sure you have the latest version installed.

JamesC

Ok thanks. James how come none of the release notes specify what bugs were actually fixed?  All of the release notes are blank or just state bugs fixed.  Not helping release notes at all.

blitzo
Star
Star

@JamesC wrote:

JamesC

Additionally, my biggest issue right now is that the app forgets my password all the time and not being able to connect (when i do have internet connection).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

blitzo,

Several users have reported they no longer are experiencing this issue. Are you still having problems with your password being forgotten on 2.5.2?

JamesC

Wuff
Guide
Guide

James, the iOS 2.5.2 app update did not fix the problem where the recordings are unaccessible.  Specifically, the recordings will appear for a few hours and then disappear for the rest of the day.  Sometimes they are gone for a few days.  

This happened again on 6/1/18 and has been occuring for over two weeks since the iOS 2.5.0 app update on 5.13.18.  My only saving grace is that I have an additional iPad that still has the 2.4.9 app version--it functions normally.  And I didn't download the flawed apps to my iPhone.  What I'd like to do is roll back my app version to 2.4.7 (3/7/18) which is when the cut-off problem during recordings began.  Is it possible to do this?  

Wuff
Guide
Guide

Excuse me, I mean roll back to the 2.4.6 app version.  The 2.4.7 version created the cut-off problem.