Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Trucha
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know there's a topic with low speaker volume coming out of the Pro. Can someone confirm that it can be used to communicate with someone at the front door like the Ring for example.
63 REPLIES 63
AJMRN30
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the input, BigDaddy, but we should not have to use a Bluetooth device to make this brand new and EXPENSIVE device work properly.  That's like buying a brand new fancy car and finding it comes with a joystick for steering.  Then someone says "if you add on this great steering wheel, you'll be able to make your car follow the road better."  

This device should be end-user ready to go without the user having to modify or "rig up" anything. 

BIGDADDYT505
Tutor
Tutor
There is no disagreeing with you on that I'm just letting you know what I found out just by playing with it I think you need to call like I have called many times to complain about it the more people call the more they will get the message
Varundev
Tutor
Tutor
James, I noticed that speaker volume is low when using voice, but it was very loud when a notification played on my phone.

I was talking into the phone and noticed that arlo speaker output was low. Then, while holding the Mic button, a notification came through on my phone that was picked up by my phone's Mic and played through the arlo speaker and it was very loud.

There may be some frequency filter causing the issue. I'll have to do more testing.
Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just purchased the 3 camera system.
The update occurred before I could use them. The volume from the cameras is VERY LOW. Using both ios and android phones. The microphone feature is great.
Any progress over the past few months on the speaker issue?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jeff3113,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Rk536883
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought the Arlo Pro 4 camera pack at Best Buy. On 7/29/17. Installed today. Volume on speakers is too faint to hear. And this is at full volume. On pc and iPhone 7.
This needs to be corrected to represent this as a 2 way speaker audio system. Does Arlo have an answer? I may return for the no. Pro Arlos. Thanks, Brad
BIGDADDYT505
Tutor
Tutor
If you connect your phone to a Bluetooth in your ear it works okay it's something having to do with the phone I have already talked to them many times to complain about it but at the end of the day these camera systems are the bomb you got to ask yourself question do you really want to hear the other person on the other end when you're on your phone or would you rather it record and hear the sound which works perfect
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's the app that's the biggest issue.  On a computer, you can use the sound card settings to increase mic gain so it works well.  That isn't available on mobile devices.

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm going to say the volume is what it is. Minimal. This does not have the ability to have real time conversation.
With a 6 second delay (message, then response) it would be tough anyway.
Maybe one if the other Arlo models can be used for a front door application along with the security cameras. ????
Shadowboricua
Aspirant
Aspirant
They are referring to the camera speaker volume. Nothing a sound card can do about that.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Shadowboricua wrote:
They are referring to the camera speaker volume. Nothing a sound card can do about that.

Sure there is. Increase the mic gain and the speaker will be louder. I've done it here.

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
??
I've taken my phone and turned the volume AND Mic gain all the way up. The camera speaker is still quiet.
Now, if I YELL into my phone and it's very quiet at the camera, the volume does increase.
But, if it's noisy at the camera, the volume is still bad.
Guess the speaker circuit has a limit on power available.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And if you do the same on a computer?

TheoVanGo
Initiate
Initiate

After reading BigDaddy's comments regarding blue tooth, I used my blue tooth device through my S7 and the camera speakers on my Arlo system were much better.  I then tried without the blue tooth and found the volume levels on the camera speaker to be too low to use (though the microphones on the cameras work consistently well regardless).  No other settings were changed between tests.

Netgear should be able to take the data provided and create a fix.  That data is:

1)  Speaker volumes are satistafactory when using a PC.

2)  Speaker volumes are unsatisfactory when using a phone (iPhone or Droid) without blue tooth engaged.

3)  Speaker volumes are satisfactory when using a Droid provided a blue tooth device is in use to that phone.

Netgear - Please stop with the nonsense of volume settings and the like.  I have confidence in you.  We've done the testing.  It's time for a fix.