Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 5 Camera Clicking

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
binary1
Tutor
Tutor

Own a bunch of Arlo Pro, Pro 2 cameras. Was happy with the way they operated. Especially in the kids bedroom where I can monitor their device use.

Recently, had to add another camera to a 2nd bedroom and as the only new cameras available were Pro 4 and Pro 5 cameras, decided to add a Pro 5. Firmware updated to 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491. Camera has all the movement and audio sensors turned all the way down to LOW as I do not need intrusion detection on these cameras. The smarthub has been set to Standby mode and none of the cameras are added as exceptions. There are no schedules active since migrating to the new Arlo Secure UI (was forced to do this as soon as I added the Pro 5 camera).

On the first night, y son complains to me that the camera keeps clicking and waking him up in the middle of the night. I thought he was just complaining about the fact I can keep tabs on him but gave him the benefit of the doubt. Took the camera to bed with me one night, camera sitting on my bedside table facing into an open space. Bedroom normally completely dark with very little moon/street lighting shining in.

For the past two nights at approximately 2:57am and 4:57am, it started to click for no apparent reason. At the 2:57am event, it clicks non stop (over 10 minutes) to the point where I simply sat up and removed its battery. At the 4:57am event, it eventually stopped itself after a few minutes. Its like one of those loud pendulum wall clocks but this is more of an audible snap clicking sound. Did a little research where Arlo support reports back this is just the IR sensors trying to figure out what's going on at night or a day/night time schedule has kicked in.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Surely the constant clicking is not a normal behavior?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd bet on 2 things:

1) the clicking is the IR filter switching in and out (it's used for nighttime/low light situations where the IR night vision LEDs are used to provide illumination). You can test this by looking at the camera face when it's clicking - the LEDs should be glowing a dull red. You can disable night vision in the camera settings under Night Vision but I don't know for sure that will stop the filter from switching in and out. Of course, without some sort of illumination, ambient or from the camera, you'd be getting a black screen.

2) It's been a long-time observation that overnight the various cameras seem to "wake up" and briefly turn on illumination, etc. My supposition has always been that the cameras are being accessed for some reason, such as checking for firmware updates. I've always seen any illumination to be a second or two but can't speak for what else the camera may or may not be doing.

I hope this sheds some light on what is likely happening but it may be that there's nothing you can do about it other than disabling night vision.

binary1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you @jguerdat for your valuable insights.

Yes, the LED does glow a dull red when its clicking. As for waking up for firmware updates, I find it fascinating that it will click the camera during the exercise and not only click once or twice but 2+ minutes of incessant clicking (10+ minutes during one event).

Do you know if the Arlo Pro 3 and 4 cameras have the same weird behavior?

I might have to return the Pro 5 camera until Arlo fixes this issue (hopefully with a firmware release) and hope I find someone with a stockpile of the older Pro 2 cameras online as they do not click like this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Almost all of my cameras are outdoors so have no idea about any noises, etc. The 2 indoor cameras are downstairs so I'm not aware of any noises there, either. I suppose you could try using AC power on the cameras so they're always awake (not sleeping) which may allow the filter to simply remain in place but during the "server access" time anything is possible.

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN , wanna jump in on this?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can check the camera in a shut closet or re-onboard it. However, I feel like @jguerdat is correct.

binary1
Tutor
Tutor

Contacted Arlo Support.

They told me the Pro 5 camera was designed to be an outdoor camera. Not an indoor one. 🙄

I guess they need to update the Arlo Pro 5 FAQ to say Arlo Pro 5 can be used indoors but we do not recommend it go into a bedroom! 🤣

Instead, they suggested I should install the Essential Indoor cameras instead. I'm kinda leaning towards the Essential 2K if I go ahead and exchange the purchase as the camera is going into a corner in the ceiling. The only downside I can think of is that the battery life can't be that great compared with the Pro 5 camera.

Another option might be to swap the Pro 5 with an existing Pro or Pro 2 that isn't in a bedroom. 😎

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'll let the pro's and con's weigh in over the next few days and make a decision. At this stage, I might just do the swap with an older camera as I'm too lazy to go back to the store. Hopefully, Netgear fixes the Pro 5's clicking in a future firmware update!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I have a Pro 5 that has only EVER been indoors. WHile it's bigger than the Indoor camera, it works fine. Any of the "outdoor" cameras will work indoors although settings may have to be modified some (lower motion detection, etc.).

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@binary1 can you send me a recording of the clicking that occurs when using the Pro 5?