Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
baumbachaflocka
Follower
Follower

The old app worked great with geofencing, it would not arm unless every device left the area. Now it always arms if just 1 person leaves. My system is configuration is the following: anyone arrives> standby, everyone leaves> arm away

They are both set to always enabled and I have made sure that both my devices are setup correctly with always allowing precise location, notifications and do not have battery saver on. Its so frustrating because the old app worked great and the new one is so bad and we were forced to switch when we added the new cameras.

More info there is 1 iphone and 1 android phone used for geofencing, I have it set to the largest area and no other automations except for the geofencing ones.

46 REPLIES 46
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jcplonghorn Thank you for the update. The team is still looking in to this. I will be sure to update this thread as soon as I can. 

jcplonghorn
Tutor
Tutor

Ok thank you. It’s completely broken the way it is. I have to keep the inside cameras disabled. I pray I don’t get robbed or worse because nothing will be recorded. 

jcplonghorn
Tutor
Tutor

Incidentally, if Arlo would agree to work with third-party assistants like IFTTT and Zapier, we would have easy workarounds for all the missing and broken Arlo features. But you don’t. Why is that??

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

I now have an official answer from Arlo, which at least puts me out my misery.

From Arlo Support:

"I understand that you already took the troubleshooting steps that were told to you in your previous interaction with us. Thank you for the information that you shared. I have checked this case with our team, and it was recommended to either try to set up one of the schedules or the arrive/leave because if you use both, it will not work. With that, kindly select your preferred routines to set up."

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jcrain wrote:

either try to set up one of the schedules or the arrive/leave because if you use both, it will not work

Clearly something they need to fix...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Strange. It works here with both although with a caveat or two...

ATNo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have the same problems.

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

Or with apple home.    Every geofence device that is designed to work with apple Home works flawlessly.  I’m a new Arlo user.   The app and the reliability of its geofencing is an abysmal failure.   To the point of worthless. 

Huskyfan
Guide
Guide

What good is a system they does not reliably arm and disarm?   What good is a system you think can be trusted, but cannot.  What good is a security system that creates multiple opportunities for false alarms?    No good at all.  Junk.   A system that goes unused due to reliability issues.

Bah0482
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think it's a coincidence, but the same day you sent this message it worked for the first time. So far for a few days arm away, and arm home have been changing correctly with geofencing. I'm guessing arlo fixed something. However I still get the same message from the old app on top of the message from the new app when coming/going for geofencing 

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat Can you share?

It wouldn't be the first time Arlo have provided the wrong answer! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All I can say is that use of both schedules and geofencing is working here. The biggest fly in the ointment for me is  that when away the schedule still changes the mode from Arm Away to Arm Home. Not a biggie in my case and, since I'm used to it, I just manually set the mode. I've made a change to my geofencing automations so Arrive enables the nighttime schedule as well as the mode change (thus I have 2 actions - one for mode change and a second one for enabling the nighttime schedule) as well as setting Leave to change modes to Arm Away and also to disable the daytime schedule. Since I'm rarely away when the daytime schedule causes the mode to change regardless of my being away, I'll have to figure out some way to test whether this is useful.

The lack of documentation for the options for automations is a problem...

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I ma converting to the Pro5 S cameras and trying to setup the Geofencing and scheduling to work together similar to the old way which has worked well for the past 6 years However,  it seems this is like some sort of rubix's cube to

setup. I have 4 test cases to get working. They are:

2 Schedules, Daytime(Unarmed) and Night time (Armed) schedule

Leave during daytime schedule (unarmed) and arm - Upon return during daytime schedule (Disarm)

Leave during daytime schedule unarmed and arm - Upon return during night Time use nighttime schedule (Armed)

Leave during night time schedule armed and arm - Upon Return during night time stay in (Armed) mode

Leave during night Time schedule armed and arm - Upon return during Daytime schedule (Disarm)

I was able to get 3 of the 4 to work correctly. However leaving while the night time schedule is active and arriving back during the night timer always seems to result in the system returning to disarmed.

Has anyone got this type of configuration setup and wiring correctly for all of these modes/cases?

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm trying an extra action to help resolve an issue where my system reverts to the schedule when I'm still away (should stay in Arm Away but changes to Arm Home at the specified time). See if this helps:

For your problem routine, try using Add an Action and use Enable/Disable an Automation. Enable your nighttime schedule. Be sure to save the action as well as the routine. Does that work for you?

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Problem I am having is if I leave while it is running the night schedule and I return home during the night schedule it sets the status to home which disarms the cameras even though it is still on the night schedule. When I leave during the daytime while it is running the daytime schedule it arms away when I leave and if I return during the daytime schedule it sets the status back to home correctly. I do have an exception set on each schedule. The one to "Disable arrive home" does not seem to be working.

IMG_1179.PNG

IMG_1178.PNG

I have attached the entries for both schedules.

Thanks, Larry

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was suggesting adding an action to the geofencing (Arrive/Leave) automations, not the schedules. Delete the schedules' extra action and add them to GF.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can you be more specific on what you would add where?

Thanks.

patrickfraser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am looking for any support from someone who may have had similar issues.

I had my arlo system working perfectly and had no complaints. Then, they changed the app and the system has never worked again. I left it because i moved house but i have just reset up the cameras and they still dont work properly.

I have a routine to turn the cameras on at night and off again in the morning as well as GPS arm home and arm away setup. None of it activates. The only way i can do it is by manually switching. I also lost all my functionality about turning off animal notifications, i am constantly getting wrong alerts (e.g. last night one camera got 376 audio notifications despite me turning audio off and drained the whole battery).

I am at a point where i am considering selling it all and moving to something else, all because of the app. I have been on the phone to help for hours, uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Deleted the routines and reinstated. I really dont know what else to do. Would greatly appreciate your support.

System consists of 

8 x Pro 4

2 x Pro Floodlight

1 x Door Ring

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@lwthomas1 Have you tried selecting the (+) Under Automations > Add Arrive/Leave?

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did that before I setup the schedules.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@patrickfraser wrote:

I also lost all my functionality about turning off animal notifications,

Smart notifications are still configurable.  Press on the profile icon on the upper left, then home.  You'll find Smart Notifications in there.

@patrickfraser wrote:

last night one camera got 376 audio notifications despite me turning audio off and drained the whole battery.

Did you turn off audio detection in the three modes?

If you did, you should try a hardware factory reset of the camera:

• remove it from the account
  • hold down sync until the camera LED flashes amber ( ~15 seconds)
  • add it back to the account

@patrickfraser wrote:

I have a routine to turn the cameras on at night and off again in the morning as well as GPS arm home and arm away setup. None of it activates.

The combination of geofencing+scheduling doesn't completely work, and the setup is a mess.  But you should be able to get most of the transitions working.  Maybe try removing the schedule, and then focus on getting geofencing working by itself.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Both are supposed to work together. We are aware of the behavior that is being seen and the development team is currently looking into this. I will provide an update as soon as possible. 

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation