Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hehrsson
Follower
Follower

Hi!

I have three Pro 5S cameras today that connects to my WiFi (meshed also with outdoor access point for better range).

I have a subscription for all cameras to use cloud storage.

Now I'm thinking of adding two Ultra 2 cameras. What I understand is that they require a hub (and a hub is included in the package).

So, they do not connect directly to my meshed WiFi. But it also adds local storage which is good.

Question 1: Is it only local or will it use cloud storage as well? Is the hub syncing to the cloud?

Question 2: Can my existing Pro 5S cameras also connect to the hub and use the local storage and at the same time be connected to my WiFi for cloud storage, I guess not?

The reason I ask is that I think maybe one of my cameras will be out of range from the hub, but then I guess that camera can still use my WiFi, but without local storage in that case. Am I right?

BR,

Håkan

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hehrsson wrote:

Question 1: Is it only local or will it use cloud storage as well? Is the hub syncing to the cloud?

If you have a subscription for the cameras, then you will get both cloud recordings and local recordings.

The hub does not "sync to the cloud".  All motion-triggered (or audio-triggered)  recordings will be saved by the hub, and are simultaneously sent to the cloud.  In general, you will find local recordings that are not in the cloud.  For example, if you use activity zones, out-of-zone recordings will be saved locally, but will not be in the cloud.  

@hehrsson wrote:

Question 2: Can my existing Pro 5S cameras also connect to the hub and use the local storage and at the same time be connected to my WiFi for cloud storage, I guess not?

No, the cameras need to be connected to the hub wifi in order to get local storage.

FWIW, I've suggested to Arlo that they should allow cameras to connect to the hub over home wifi.  My mesh has much better coverage than my bases, and it'd be nice to take advantage of that w/o losing local storage.