Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne

BTW, have you received the Field Trial Firmware downloads yet ?

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I'm not sure, but I know that I have version 4.16.0._5 released July 17, 2024.  How about you?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne

Don't recognize that #...is that what shows for 5s Firmware in the device section ?

All of my 5s Field Trial Firmware numbers are:  1.040.28.13_152_2450fc

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

hi @roundball I don’t think that’s field trial firmware?

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne can you provide the full firmware version (not an abbreviation)?

WLynne
Guide
Guide

An update regarding my Arlo Pro 5S security camera monitoring my front lawn and street. Between July 1st and July 28th, the camera did not record any footage on July 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 17th, 19th, 26th, 27th, and 28th despite the fact that all events were selected. Additionally, it was only recorded once on July 11th. My desktop is running Version 4.16.0._5 released on July 17, 2024, and my cell phone's Arlo App is running version 14.17_28700, released on July 20, 2024. Both devices are missing the same recordings for the period of time.  I was unable to share a desktop screenshot of the camera's feed settings for July.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne 

You need to go into the device settings...then:

1) click the circle with 3 dots in it at the upper right corner of the screen

2) click the gear on the right edge of one of the jiggling names of a 5s cam

3) Click the > at the right edge of the camera name

4) Halfway down the screen see the Firmware #

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Firmware

1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b

HardwareVMC4060AerH5

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne 

OK, looks like @BrookeN got yours downloaded OK...

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the confirmation.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PS:

I'm still having the recent intermittent failures with:
1) Notification of motion detections being very slow or not at all;

2) Then a very...very...very slow appearance of the motion into the Feed;

Hopefully they'll get their act together on this during the next couple days.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m saying this very Lagi notification and publishing to the feed for all of my Arlo cameras, I suspect there is congestion on their service/cloud side.

Any chance of some honest information, @BrookeN?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN

Some more info about the tardy notifications of motion detection and tardy showing them in the Feed:

I just turned on some Pro4 cams and then walked through the house forgetting they were on…every one of the Pro4 cams notified immediately and posted to the Feed right away.

But the 5s cams have been intermittently very slow for 3 days now.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball what country are you located in?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 
US…..you ?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN

PS:

The Pro4 cams are on a Base Station.

( 5s cams are on WIFI with the FTF )

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball Melbourne, Australia.

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I asked myself that same question.

WLynne
Guide
Guide

The same for me

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the helpful info.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne 

Another thought.....following some of those same steps I gave you yesterday:

Look at each of the individual settings underneath each camera in the device section...especially check to see that you have the proper "activity zones" defined for the view you want to check for motion of each camera.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball that is not how activity zones work. Without a zone defined it will detect all motion. The zones are if you want to mask off areas by selecting zones to detect. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Ahh, didn't know that...always assumed when I'd see that little small colored activity zone in the upper left hand corner of the screen that it was a default starting point, thanks

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball don’t worry, all good.

The stooges at Arlo Support would’ve made us all jump through hoops pretending that was the issue/solution with these pathetic Pro 5/5S cameras.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just some info update:

My 5s cams are still slow to notify detected movement.

And are still very, very slow to then post anything to the feed.

( Pro4 cams still do all that perfectly )

Anyone else seeing any speed improvements in 5s detection notification & then posting to the Feed ?

Heard of any progress being made on these problems by Arlo ?

Heard any date when routine 5s public Firmware will be avaliable for use to download as we want to?