Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball just like restart on your computer. at least gives you a chance to start fresh if any transient bugs (not terminal ones like the Pro 5S have).. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

OK, thanks…assumed it was probably something like that but didn’t want to risk using it without knowing.

Chkpost
Aspirant
Aspirant

@BrookeN 

My 2 5S cameras that had this firmware level (1.040.28.15_167_1880273) have now received the new 195 version.

I have 4 other 5S cameras at this firmware level 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491.  Will they also receive the 195 version or does the hardware revision of those cameras prevent update to the new firmware ?

Thanks

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

As the firmware rolls out all the cameras will have the update. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question for the Brain Trust:

There are 2 Arlo networks listed on my iPhone:

ARLO_VMB_3xxxxxxxxx

and

ARLO_VMB_4zzzzzzzzz

What are they for ?

Why are there 2 ?

Thanks...

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Had the FTF installed during the night and 3 out of 4 cams were black dark off line this morning…had no way to interact with them.

In desperation I finally dragged out ladders and climbed up to all 3…took them apart…removed their batteries for a minute…reinstalled…and each camera came alive when I did that.

The unknown is why were 3 of 4 cameras dead after FTF was installed.

IMG_6171.jpeg

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball  Those are the default internal networks of the Base Stations.. They will always show in the list of wifi networks available

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Ahhh…good to know, thank you !!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@roundball wrote:

There are 2 Arlo networks listed on my iPhone:

ARLO_VMB_3xxxxxxxxx

and

ARLO_VMB_4zzzzzzzzz

What are they for ?

What model smarthub(s) do you have?

These are closed wifi networks created by a base/smarthub for the cameras.  If you have a VMB5000, then you'd see two of these (one for 2.4 ghz, one for 5 ghz).

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks…@BrookeN nailed it above.

Both Base Stations are Models VMB4540r3

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I've experienced that as well; however, mine are installed on the window sill of my second floor, providing easy access and protection from meddling hands.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN - what firmware is the *194* release? new field trial or updated public production (with previous field trial fixes included)?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne 

Yeah, I'm amazed at this 5s related problem where multiple cams suddenly go completely offline...obviously can't be multiple individual camera quality issues all arbitrarily failing at the same instant...has to be something in arlo's systems / software / firmware that would be common across multiple cams at the same identical time.

I like your ability to have your cams mounted inside on window sils...all mine are outside for best views, and up under the eaves to keep them out of weather...need ladders every time which is a PITA.

Since most camera installations are outside for coverage, all cam controls should be consolidated at a single point of management...not having to keep dragging out ladders.  My wife isn't going to be able to do any of this after I 'check out'.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN

Hey BrookeN...hope you're doing OK...need some of your magic.

Ever since that latest firmware update was sent to one of my 5s cams a couple days ago, I've had a continuous variety of problems with multiple cams.

One Example:

Cams are very slow to sound an indication of a motion detected.

Then they are very…very…very slow to actually show up in the FEED.

The four Firmware #’s are all showing 1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b.

I’ve removed / reinstalled the batteries.

Have checked and reset everything I know to check.

I’ve even used their “RESTART” command, no help.

( PS: everything else in my world of iphones, laptop, network is still running perfectly )

If I send you a separate msg with the 4 Pro5s Serial Numbers, could you have the Firmware resent to all 4 of them ?

( I have NO interest in wasting a minute of my life with Arlo level 1 support )

As usual, thank you for whatever you might be able to do…

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I apologize if I didn't explain myself clearly. I live in a two-story house, so I decided to install the cameras outside on my second-floor window ledge. I had a camera stolen previously, which was within reach of the ground, so this location feels safer. Another advantage is that I can easily open the window to change the battery or recharge the camera without having to move it. In my case, I can connect or disconnect the charging cable whenever needed.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball also noticing very slow event showing in feed as well as missing a large part of an event (caught the tail end of it, not very useful). 

I’m not sold that this 194 firmware is a solution. In the absence of any information, what can you tell us @BrookeN?

Inextirpable1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've purchased and installed seven Pro 5s cameras almost 1 year ago and I am experiencing similar issues as everyone else - cameras simply do not work as they should (can't pick up or record movement, etc.).  I utilize a strong WiFi connection option (do not use a base station).  I apologize for not having the time to follow this thread closely nor attempt troubleshooting with Arlo support.  I just want to register the fact that I too am a very dissappointed customer and hope that a legitimate fix comes soon.  Can we get our money back??

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

You’re probably not aware of it but Community moderator @BrookeN 

has been outstanding in helping us get Field Trial Firmware downloaded to our problematic 5s cams.

Don’t know what this intermittent bug is that’s popped up during the past 48 hours, but before this, once the Field Trial Firmware was installed on my four they worked great.

Reach out to @BrookeN with your serial numbers…she’s usually able to get them to do the downloads within 24 hours.

AlixO
Guide
Guide

Hi @BrookeN - it looks like I’ve moved from the field trial firmware to the new firmware. I’m experiencing a huge delay between motion being picked up and a notification sent to my phone and the recording appearing in my feed. Activity zones have also stopped working and different types of motion are all being notified as ‘motion’ - someone just walked past my front door, outside an activity zone but the camera notified and recorded anyway, as ‘motion’ not ‘person’. I’m just about at the end of the line with these Pro 5 cameras. 

Inextirpable1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response and tip.  I DM'd Brooke a while back for help, but might have been when she was out on vacation, i never saw a response (could have been lost in all the email notifications i get on this never-ending saga).

Inextirpable1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry, my mistake, BrookeN did indeed reply (with a response to try re-onboarding cameras)

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi all, I’ve also noticed very slow publishing to the feed from my pro 4 cameras as well.

I suspect there is some congestion on the Arlo server/cloud side. Not that we will ever get an honest answer from the company..

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I wish to bring attention to the fact that, as of the time I am writing this note, my Arlo Pro 5S camera last recorded my front lawn facing a busy street at 11:26 p.m. on July 25, 2024, which is approximately 2-3 days ago.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sounds like the common bug affecting Pro 5/5S cameras, however not acknowledged by Arlo.

WLynne
Guide
Guide

To follow up on my earlier message today, I wanted to inform this board that between July 1st and July 28th, my Arlo Pro 5S, which monitors my front lawn and the street, did not capture any footage on the following dates: July 7th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 17th, 19th, 26th, 27th, and 28th, and only recorded once on the 11th. I attempted to share a screenshot of the camera's feed settings for that particular camera for July, but unfortunately, I was unable to do so.  I would like to add all the 'events'  had been selected at the time.  I have Version 4.16.0._5 released July 17, 2024