Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@roundball wrote:

Yet your Pro5 Firmware and our Pro5s Firmware are not the same, they’re different.

Both have the same part number (VMC4060P) which I think is clear evidence that there is really only one camera model (just branded differently in some countries).  FWIW, I always found the "s" in Pro 5s to be a bit odd, personally think they should just call it Pro 5 everywhere.

Sorting out differences in firmware is tricky because

• New firmware releases are done quietly (nearly silently)
  • Some folks are on Field Trial software, others aren't.
  • Arlo almost always uses a rolling release process, so it can take a long time for a new release to reach everyone.
  • Firmware in Europe often lags behind other geographies (I think linked to the Verisure partnership).

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN for the sake of this audience could we get an update? What is happening with this known fault? What is the scope? 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Hope you've had another good week...need more of your excellent help.

Arlo is not getting these current pro5s problems fixed.

Will you please expedite replacement of these new defective pro 5s cameras?

Please let me know ASAP, thank you.

Copy:  @chicane 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'm confused: is there a problem with firmware or hardware on these Pro 5s? I thought it was the former? 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Firmware issue as far as I know, although my Pro 5S has never been reliable, compared to my Pro 4 cameras.

There has never been a straight answer as to the scope of the issue.

Seems @BrookeN had stopped replying. I wonder if her management has told her to stop engaging?

It’s a real disgrace and shame how Arlo has gaslighted their customers in failing to properly acknowledge or address the issue. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mine is sending notifications with no video to show for it. I asked for my account to be closed and was refused. Instead they want a supervisor to call me. 

Wolfpretzel
Star
Star

It is pretty poor form for Arlo not to be sufficiently open about issues but as with any big company they would rather dodge questions like politicians so that it hopefully doesn’t affect their sales. 

My Pro 4’s were far more reliable despite the audio issue they had (a hardware fault). I thought it would be smooth sailing with the RMA 5S’s as a replacement for them but it has not been. At least the Pro 4’s captured and recorded all events. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Wolfpretzel I have noticed the same with my pro 4 cameras (garbled audio on recording) - lucky I don't use that too much but it is still really annoying but at least the pro 4 captures ok. The pro 5S miss events and have very jerky capture for the initial phase when they work. They are so disappointing, even more so their pathetic support.  

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN please signal that you are still somewhere out there? You're our only hope!

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@chicane are you based in Europe? If so, you can take your Pro 5s back to the seller and ask for a refund on the basis that they're unfit for purpose.

I know you'd rather keep them, but I think this firmware saga and support's attitude in general really sums up the attitude of the whole company to you as a customer. Just a few questions for you to think about:

For starters, why is the product released without being properly tasted? Why is it taking so long to fix the issue? Why is the communication so minimal in terms of what the issues are? Why is there no apology for all that and for the issue itself? Where is the management in all this, given the seriousness of the problem? There's a community manager on here, yet he's hardly visible. Why is there no mention of compensation or goodwill gesture for the problems experienced? Why is there silence recently?

Surely, any reputable company would have been embarrassed by this whole situation and management stepping in to *at least* issue an apology. 

Dixit.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Retired_Member  FWIW, my .02 cents:

You should insist communications are via  'the written word'  (Email)...not a phone call.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have not disappeared I was out of office. @roundball I will send you a DM. @chicane let me reach out to the team for updates and I will provide one as soon as they respond. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Field Trial Firmware...couple questions please:

1) Is the Pro 5s "Field Trial Firmware" for WIFI finalized in its current state ?

2) Has it been tested  / approved for use on a Base Station ?

3) Is it available to download as a Firmware update on other Pro 5s cams ?

4) How do we download it for a 5s we want t add to WIFI ?

Thanks...

Narrowroad
Tutor
Tutor

This is crazy, it’s been well over 6 months and no fix yet? I own 5 of these cameras and experience the same issues of missed event recording and snapshots when the cams have full battery. Do we need a class action lawsuit if these cameras are faulty? 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball 
1) Is the Pro 5s "Field Trial Firmware" for WIFI finalized in its current state ? Yes, the current Prod firmware is in the same umbrella as the Field Trial firmware

2) Has it been tested / approved for use on a Base Station ? it's only available for D2AP

3) Is it available to download as a Firmware update on other Pro 5s cams ? Yes, as the current Production firmware which is still released at 25%

4) How do we download it for a 5s we want t add to WIFI ?  Yes, then we will point them manually to the Field Trial version or they leave them connected to the BS until the Prod firmware release will reach 100%..

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN   Thanks for the replies...

2) Has it been tested / approved for use on a Base Station ?

it's only available for D2AP

MY APOLOGIES BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT "D2AP" MEANS...IS THAT A PART OF A 5S THAT ONLY DEALS WITH WIFI ??

3) Is it available to download as a Firmware update on other Pro 5s cams ?

Yes, as the current Production firmware which is still released at 25%

A- DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE WIDELY AVAILABLE?

B- AND CAN WE ASSUME WHEN IT'S AVAILABLE, IT WILL HAVE THE SAME CURRENT FIELD TRIAL FIRMWARE ID # ASSOCIATED WITH IT?

4) How do we download it for a 5s we want to add to WIFI ?

Yes, then we will point them manually to the Field Trial version or they leave them connected to the BS until the Prod firmware release will reach 100%.

AND I ASSUME ONCE INSTALLED ON ANOTHER 5s...AND LATER THAT 5s IS REPURPOSED TO A BASE STATION, THE NORMAL BASE STATION FIRMWARE WILL BE REINSTALLED, DISPLACING THE WIFI RELATED FIRMWARE ?

Appreciate your good help for us BrookeN ...

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

D2AP means directly connected to wifi, Pro 5 and Pro 5S are the same models and have the same firmware versions except for the version 2A- 

DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE WIDELY AVAILABLE? no updates yet when as to when it'll push through 100%

AND CAN WE ASSUME WHEN IT'S AVAILABLE, IT WILL HAVE THE SAME CURRENT FIELD TRIAL FIRMWARE ID # ASSOCIATED WITH IT?  The field trial firmware has a different version than the prod firmware and it should have the same fixes but the Prod firmware has all the fixes..

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@roundball wrote:

2) Has it been tested / approved for use on a Base Station ?

it's only available for D2AP

MY APOLOGIES BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT "D2AP" MEANS...

Direct to Access Point - in other words, only connecting to home wifi, not to base stations.

Overall, the firmware rollout process is slow, and past experience (as a user) suggests that even mods and support personal don't have much info on the timing.   Plus it would be slowed down if customers who get the firmware start reporting new issues. 

Also, the mods get a lot of criticism in the forum whenever they share release dates that end up not being met.  So they almost never do that, even if the dates are close.

AlixO
Guide
Guide

Hi @BrookeN - is there any update about the problem capturing motion in low light, even with the field trivial firmware? The motion icon on my cameras routinely greys out overnight still. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

OK, thanks for your time and replies... 

Narrowroad
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookeN  Can you make the firmware available to my account/devices? 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@AlixO that should be resolved with the firmware update that is rolling out.

@Narrowroad let me pass your information onto the development team and see if they can move you to the Field Trial. 

@roundball you are welcome. I will keep updating the community as soon as I get updates. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Narrowroad all your Pro 5 have now been moved over to the Field Trial. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thunderstorm earlier tonight…

IMG_6079.jpeg

TripleSeven
Aspirant
Aspirant

No more snap shots. But my camera will still not record in low light / dark. Motion light will come on, showing its detecting motion, but no recording or alerts.