Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
243 REPLIES 243
gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

A couple of days ago I added an Arlo Pro 5s 2k camera to the front of my house. It aims at my yard and road out front. I already have an Arlo Essential XL on the front of my house which also aims at the front yard and road out front.

The Essential XL detects motion on the road out front which is between 25-35 feet away at 100% motion sensitivity. But the new Pro 5s 2k camera, aimed roughly the same way, and 5 feet closer to the road out front (20-30 feet), never picks up motion more than 10-12 feet away at 100% sensitivity. I also tried this in test mode and verified the same behavior as when in use.

The Pro 5s 2k FW version is 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491 

There was another user about 6 months ago on the forum who had a similar problem that self corrected - which is odd.

I need better motion detection for this camera to be useful. Please let me know if there is some fix or work around for this problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, you should be aware that the cameras were designed for people detection. The ability to detect cars out on the road wasn't a consideration but happens anyway due to the reflected sun's IR as well as the inherent bigger heat signature from most cars in the first place.

That said, each camera model likely has different hardware inside as well as firmware so the detection range may well differ to some degree. Only testing would tell for sure.

gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. But, it doesn't detect people either. The distance it detects at, at 100% sensitivity, is quite short 10-12' maybe as verified with people in test mode. Regardless of different detection hardware, radically different detection distances between cameras is a problem.

FWIW the Essential XL detects cars when it is dark too 🙂 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'm sorry but I disagree with @jguerdat. These cameras like any other are designed to work with any motion detection, so it can be humans, moving objects, changes in temperature etc.

There's a separate thread on pro5 not picking up motion and taking snapshots. I suggest that you look at it, where a number of users have already complained about motion detection. 

The problem is in the firmware.

Here's the topic that may be of interest to you: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-5S-2K/Arlo-Pro-5S-unreliable-junk-missing-events-taking-snaps...

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

UPDATE on my camera issues: after about a week or so with Arlo support, they decided to send me one replacement camera for troubleshooting purposes. As soon as I un-installed one of mine and installed the replacement camera; the replacement one worked with zero issues! It works as advertised. The next step is to have my other 3 replaced. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sounds like progress...Question please:
Assuming you mean working on WIFI, which Firmware version is it:

5s STANDARD Firmware # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

or

5s FIELD TRIAL Firmware # 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8

And did they agree to replace the other 3 ?

Thanks...

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball Standard firmware and on WiFi.  They said that they would replace the rest of my cameras. Waiting for approval.

Have another update: Replacement camera was working fine. Then I made an activity zone and the camera started to have the same issues. So I went and removed all my activity zones on my cameras and all my cameras seem to be operating as they should. Not sure what the hell is going on. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

Interesting.....that may be  (at least one)  of the 5s problems that the "Field Trial Firmware" is designed to fix when using WIFI.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  I think I had the trail firmware at some point. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

Strange product quality for sure...and just like with the Pro4 unfix-able audio problems.....arlo still sells the 5s without any honest information to customers that they also "currently" have unfix-able problems...very, very sorry way to do business.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN 

any possibility of providing an update regarding the scope of the issue? Is it WiFi direct cameras or is Arlo Hub connected cameras also problematic? What about the issue with video not being smooth from the start of the capture? If you can't provide these answers please let us know? 

gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Additional information from Arlo indicates that the Pro 5s should be able to detect up to 50 feet when plugged in to AC adapter (which it is in my case) or 25 feet otherwise. As mentioned earlier I am not getting close to that range.

See https://kb.arlo.com/000062617/How-far-away-can-Arlo-Cameras-and-Arlo-Video-Doorbells-detect-motion "Arlo Pro 5S, Arlo Pro 4, Arlo Pro 3, and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cameras have a maximum motion detection of 50 ft (15m) when the camera is connected to an AC power adapter with a fully charged battery."

gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Edinburgh_lad1 - extremely helpful. Any idea how one might get the trial firmware (version: 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8) for the 5s?

TripleSeven
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Pro 5 2k has been nothing but problems. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TripleSeven

Wondering if you reached out to / heard back from Moderator @BrookeN about getting the Field Trial Firmware ?

TripleSeven
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have. It stopped the snapshot issue but the camera is still awful at picking up motion, especially at night. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball I am looking into your other two. I will update you as soon as I get word. 

@TripleSeven we are currently looking into the motion at night. I will update you as soon as possible. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TripleSeven 

At least a good step in the right direction...we're so lucky that Moderator @BrookeN has such a great attitude being so willing to go to bat for us instead of just saying "call support".

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you @BrookeN

And to be clear, I have the other two 5s cams working perfectly on a Base Station so I have no huge interest or hurry in getting Field Trial Software on them.

Definitely don't want support to blindside me and install the Field Trial Firmware on those two for fear that they will no longer work on the Base Station.

Just want to know if / when / how  "I"  can download ( or coordinate download) of what is currently called Field Trial Firmware onto one 5s camera on a Base Station to ensure the 5s will still work on a Base Station.

If not, I can just keep waiting...thanks