Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
242 REPLIES 242
roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

The image you sent shows as a yellow triangle...can't see the ##.

Ref chatting....with arlo or Xfinity ?

After all the changes...now suspecting Internet...I assume someone has had you do a power off / power on of your network equipment to reset it ?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

I chatted with Arlo and Xfinity. Both say that everything is working on their end………….

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

These are the two Firmware #'s I have.
( I assume they would be the same on any of our 5s cams )

5s Standard Firmware # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

5s Field Trial Firmware # 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8

EDIT UPDATE.....our replies passed each other.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

And after all that, have you done a network equipment power off / power on to ensure reset activity picks up your changes ?

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball fwiw my Ubiquiti Unifi wireless show's the wifi connection to the Pro 5S as stable/excellent.
The fault is something more internal to the camera rather than its wifi uplink. I appreciate your anecdote however I doubt a base station being included will avoid these problems.
@BrookeN look forward to a factual update and response to my previous questions when you can. Thanks. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  My cameras have had both firmware updates. The one I posted is the most current one. I’ve spent an hour with Xfinity; total of 5 agents and still couldn’t find an issue. Pointed fingers at Arlo. Worked with at least 6 Arlo agents and they pointed fingers at Xfinity. Any recommendations on other security cameras?!? 😆

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

Strange situation for sure...by contrast, I have:

Two 5s cams on a base station that have worked perfectly for a couple weeks now;

Two 5s cams on WIFI with the Field Trial Firmware that have worked perfectly since we got the Field Trial Firmware.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  I don’t know what else to do except return the cameras and try a different brand. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm sure you're frustrated...may be at your 'red line'.

( Wish you were close by so we could try one of your cameras  on my Network )

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

PS: a couple times over the years I've completely deleted the arlo app off my iphone and downloaded a full fresh copy from the app store in case something had gotten glitched in my app....you might do that just in case.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  I will try that. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can assure you that deleting/reinstalling the app will make zero difference.

I’ve spoken to the L3 team and they know what the fault is they can see errors in the device logs.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gert and I are not talking about WIFI related issues...we're simply trying to get a standard 5s to work on his base station.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball The wifi uplink is the point of difference though between a base station vs. direct wifi connected. 

AlixO
Guide
Guide

Hi @BrookeN - in a bizarre development, one of my Essential Spotlight cameras (side garage) has started sending me motion notifications without recording. It’s done it twice today. The Pro 5s used to consistently send motion notifications without recording before they were put on the field trial firmware (they haven’t done it since). The Essential Spotlights have never done it, until today. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN my front deck pro 5s on field trial firmware just did a snapshot instead of video.. Ample battery level too.

Pattykasch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same issue did you get it resolved

fishinmanfrank
Tutor
Tutor

I just recently moved one of my cameras, and I expected it to get triggered more where it’s at, but it’s not. Then I realized, watching a video from one of my other cameras that this camera is getting triggered, because I can see the light come on in the other video, but it’s not sending recordings! Very annoyed…

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is for everyone on this post can you please let me know which ones of you are seeing the snapshot instead of recordings, which ones are seeing the grayed out low light motion, if neither of these let me know what behavior you are seeing. If we can leave the responses this time just to answer the questions above so I can get a better idea that would be greatly appreciated. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN for clarity, please provide an answer to the two questions previously posted (quoted below)? 

1. If you are so certain that it’s only a subset of users who are only on this thread, what is the defining factor for the issue in the first place?

2. Does it affect direct wifi only (not arlo base station) connected cameras like someone has hypothesised?

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

I think you'll find that they probably have no idea themselves. However, I'd like to be surprised!

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN

I have 2 Pro5s cameras connected to a Base Station.

( with their normal Firmware)

Have never had any of the "snapshot instead of recordings, or grayed out low light motion" issues.

I also have 2 Pro5s cameras connected to WIFI:
Initially had a couple "snapshot vs. recording" issues  ( but no grayed out low light motion issues )  BEFORE the Field Trial Firmware was installed.

Have not had any "snapshot vs. recordings"  ( or grayed out low light motion issues )  SINCE the Field Trial Firmware was installed.

NOTE:

At night time, all my Arlo cameras operate in brightly lit fields of view due to bright LED yard lights that are on all night.

TripleSeven
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pro5S is missing a lot of motion events and now taking snap shots for every motion detected. Nothing but problems with this camera. Tried restarting . Doesn’t help. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TripleSeven 

If you're using them on WIFI, and you don't have the "Field Trial Firmware" installed, suggest you message Moderator @BrookeN and ask her if she'll coordinate the Field Trial Firmware install for you...she's been a breath of fresh air in trying to help us with these 5s issues.

PS:
Meanwhile, if you happen to have a Base Station, you might try that...my 5s cams work normally on a Base Station with their regular Firmware.

TripleSeven
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will do, thank you!