Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
237 REPLIES 237
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Under routines and then modes do you have the notifications set up for the cameras?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  I do have notifications turned on. They were working fine earlier today.  It’s weird that only two are not sending notifications. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Now all four cameras are not pushing notifications. 😔

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you log out and log back in?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  I’ve done that multiple times. Also restarted the cameras and turned them off and on. 

AlixO
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN I might be having a similar issue to @-Gerbs - I watched my front camera not detect something in front of it this morning, and the garden camera didn’t pick up motion overnight - I’ve sent you a DM. 

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

IMG_4129.jpeg

Went to bed last night and the motion detection icon was on, this morning switched my phone back on (IOS) and the motion icon is randomly off again??

It’s easily cured by changing the mode to standby and then back to arm. However how many events has it missed during the night??

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@Roaringpants  I’ve tried that as well with no luck. I only have one camera that is working properly out of four. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Well, the problems keep on coming. My one and only camera that was working has stopped. Good news though, a different camera has come back to life. But for some reason, it thinks my cat is a vehicle!

IMG_8379.jpeg

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Let me reach out to the development team, I will reach back out soon. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Ok. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Update on my cameras. The one that detected my cat as a vehicle has now stopped. But the one I have on my garage door is detecting motion in my activity zone and did not notice my son coming home in his car. Not sure how much longer I will keep these cameras. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Well, it's been 3 months now. And 1 day. Since this issue has been reported.

I must say, although I sympathise with the owners, it's a fascinating read altogether. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@Edinburgh_lad1  I just purchased these cameras last week and was not aware that this was a problem. I am new to this community page. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Edinburgh_lad1
For what it's worth, IMO, I think the Pro 5s optics & features seem pretty good.

If you have time to try before you 'have' to return them, here's some info that might help while waiting for arlo to get the firmware situation finalized.

Before the recent Field Trial Firmware update, out of sheer frustration with my 4 new Pro 5s problems, I moved 2 of them off direct WIFI...and put them onto a Base Station.

They have never failed in any way since.

If you have a base station, you might try that and see...

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  I don’t have a base station. What model do you have? I also like the features of the camera. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Base Station specs:

IMG_5857.jpeg

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball @I can’t see what you posted. Do you have the pro or ultra? 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo  VMB4540r3

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

👍🏻

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN 
For clarity, is it true/false this firmware bug only affects direct wifi not arlo smart hub connected cameras?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

I’m going to wait and see what Arlo support says before I buy one. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't blame you a bit...they're a little pricey too...I already had one so I tried it.
I qualified my related post as "For What It's Worth"...I tried a Base Station, etc.

Could have been an extreme coincidence or whatever.

Bottom line is that neither of those 5s cameras have had a hiccup since I moved them to the Base Station and I'm intentionally not going to have the Field Trial Firmware installed on them yet so I'll have both sets of configurations for comparison over time.

Next test will be to move one of the 5s cameras that HAS the Field Trial Firmware and see if it runs on the Base Station OK.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Let us know how it goes.