Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
221 REPLIES 221
Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookeN Hi there, same thing has happened again. The camera was working as it should, the first screenshot was from last night, I powered off my phone and this morning when I checked, the motion detection was off again??

See 2nd screenshot. Switching to standby and then back to Arm brings it straight back on. 

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4131.jpeg

 I’m new to this and it’s the first camera I’ve ever used, when it’s working it’s actually a really good, however it’s pointless if you can’t rely on it doing what it’s supposed to do. 
I purchased the camera & solar charger (the charger is excellent) through Amazon, so can still return it, hoping you people at Arlo can sort it out first?

Just to recap, I’m using a direct WiFi connection with a full 2.4ghz signal. 
Thanks

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Good morning. Was wondering if you have updates. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Roaringpants so your toggle for motion is turning itself off? Is this camera connected to the solar panel? 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@-Gerbs I reached out to the development team. I will let you know as soon as I get a response. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane let me ask the development team that. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Ok. 

roundball
Guide
Guide

TEST UPDATE

Removed a Pro5s that had the Field Trial Firmware on it from it's WIFI configuration and re-installed it on a Base Station.

It then said it needed a Firmware update...and the # it said it needed was the # it was at before the Field Trial Firmware was installed.

So I aborted the move, and set it back up on WIFI like it had been.

My Summary to date:
My Pro5s cameras out of the box have problems on WIFI.

They do not have problems on a Base Station

After the Field Trial Firmware is installed they work OK on WIFI.

However, installing them on a Base Station does not accept the Field Trial Firmware, calling for a return to the previous Pro5s Firmware level instead.

So I guess that's fine, not having a single Firmware version that will work on both WIFI & Base Stations...since the installation steps call out if Firmware is needed or not.

However, the unknown (to me) is whether or not the "Field Trial Firmware" would be available as a "routine download" to a new 5s out of a box and/or moving one from a Base Station to WIFI.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the update. 

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve haven’t actually checked on the routines to see if it’s toggled itself off, I will do this in the morning and let you know. 
The camera is connected to a solar panel which works really well, and stays around 95-100% charged. Thanks 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN @What about un-installing the Field Trial Firmware? 

roundball
Guide
Guide

Just some FYI in case you can use it:

The LATEST Pro 5s firmware # at Camera Installation time…PRIOR to the Field Trial Firmware upgrade:

Pro 5s Firmware #  1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookeN  Hi there, in answer to your previous question, the motion detection icon was off again when I woke this morning, but the motion detection toggle was still on. See screenshots 

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4139.jpeg

l

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

@BrookeN Update, This morning I left the app as it was, motion detection toggled on but the motion icon greyed out and it’s picked up every single event. 
A couple of days ago when I tested in the dark with the motion icon grey out, the spotlight came on but there was no event recording or notification??

Maybe something to do with when it’s dark perhaps??

IMG_4142.jpeg

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Maybe I'm getting things wrong, but isn't it for Arlo to troubleshoot and solve the issue? One pays a lot of money for this junk so I'd think it's up to this company to sort itself out.

AlixO
Guide
Guide

I’ve definitely had problems with my cameras picking up motion in low light and darkness. Even with motion sensitivity at 100% they miss events that the Essential Spotlights I had in the same place used to pick up. They record some events, but totally miss others. I haven’t checked to see if the motion sensor greys out overnight, but I did notice it greying out randomly during the day recently. It came back on when I changed the mode to standby then back to alarm. This is all getting very frustrating @BrookeN -  I upgraded to the Pro 5s because I thought the video quality would be better than the Essential Spotlights, but they’ve been nothing but grief. Are you please able to let us know if this is a problem that can likely be fixed in the short term? The field trial firmware has at least stopped snapshots in my case, but there are still issues with motion detection. I’m on the verge of returning my 2 Pro 5s but I’ll probably need Arlo to authorise the return on the basis they’re faulty, otherwise the store won’t provide a refund. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @AlixO, this has been my experience as well. Still missing events even though I have solid wifi and on the field trial firmware. I observed this going back a number of firmware revisions as well (even back beyond the start of this thread). 

I do wonder with how secretive Arlo are being if they are aware of a bigger issue (hardware fault) than they want to publicly acknowledge to their customers. Transparency and honesty are obviously not part of their company values. 

@BrookeN are you able to provide any further insight or is your management restricting you from divulging more info to the community regarding this widespread issue? 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Hello, just doing a follow up. Hope to hear something soon. Any info is better than no info. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane it in fact is not a wide spread issue. There is only a handful of users on this thread that are seeing this behavior. And the development team is working as fast as they can for a resolution. The field trial that most of you were put on is working. We are now looking into why it is not working for the few on here that it did not resolve. 

@-Gerbs The development team is looking into this. I do not have an update as of yet. I will reach out and see if I can get one later today. 

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  Thank you.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you all let me know how many are still seeing the snapshot with recordings?

And then can you let me know how many are seeing the behavior with the motion when it is dark?

Thank you!!

roundball
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN 

1)
Have not had any more 'snapshots' on WIFI connected 5s since installing Field Trial Firmware;

( and I don't get any on Base Station connected 5s cameras with their regular 5s firmware )

2)
I've never had any dim light / dark motion related problems.....because..... I have bright LED Yard Lights all around the house, front & back, brightly illuminating all camera's Field of View.

AlixO
Guide
Guide

Hi @BrookeN - I’m no longer getting snapshots on the field trial firmware but having issues with both cameras picking up things in low light and darkness. They both seem to pick up bigger animals overnight like foxes and cats, but not large birds (front door camera - I watched one in front of the camera in low light and it didn’t pick it up) or other less ‘obvious’ motion like outdoor furniture covers being blown off in the wind (garden camera, two nights in a row). Both Pro 5s have motion sensitivity set to 100%. The Essential Spotlight cameras I had in the same locations would pick up those things, with motion sensitivity set at 80%. 
If it’s only a handful of users, can Arlo authorise exchanges for us, so we can return the cameras we’re having problems with and exchange them for new Pro 5s? It also seems odd that it’s not a one off for some of us and we’re having the same issue with all of our Pro 5s. 

Wolfpretzel
Star
Star

Not sure if you’re only asking the field trial people this question - but I’m still getting snapshots and sporadic videos when the camera feels like working. 

Sometimes I notice the motion detection is working (indicator light) or the spotlight turns on (in the dark) but nothing is recorded (or snapshot), no event is logged, no notification made. 
Very frustrating. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN If you are so certain that it’s only a subset of users who are only on this thread, what is the defining factor for the issue in the first place?

I’m yet to see any solid information just excuses from Arlo Support and any Arlo representatives on this thread. 
If it’s not a hardware fault that could be limited to a subset of users, why would a firmware bug not affect most/all users in reality?

I think the more  probable scenario is this is far more widespread and neither you nor your company are being completely honest nor fully transparent.

How many users are lulled into a false sense of security that your cameras are actually doing what are expected?

I’d say many more outside of this thread.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

I factory reset all 4 of my

cameras and set them up. They were working fine for about an hour and went right back to not working, or sporadically working. 60% percent of the time, they work all the time.