Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rd357
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am immensely disappointed with these arlo cameras. my kit with 4 arlo pro 4 cameras arrived. My house is on the ground floor and my land is about 540 square meters. The cameras are about 20 meters from the base and receive only 1 signal point. Image without conditions to monitor since the signal constantly drops and freezes the image.

Very large delay, about 10 seconds. Delay to connect the cameras, these cameras really are absurdly expensive for what it offers. In these real features of the cameras, they shouldn't be worth more than $30.

but anyway, I’m with them and I need to make them work. I will probably have to spend more money on this nonsense by buying another base. The question is as follows. Can I put a wifi repeater with ethernet input, and connect the new station with the cable from the repeater?

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yes along as it has an Ethernet port. I used a powerline extender with a Ethernet port to move the base. With the Pro4 have you tried connecting to your home wifi to test before spending money on a base unless you want local storage on the base. There may be other interference factors since you only get one bar 20 meters away. Also try moving the base as far as the cable will reach from the router, It worked for me when I first set my system up as that is also a common problem. 

rd357
Aspirant
Aspirant

Connect the cameras directly to the wifi? or connect the base to the wifi? I thought that the base was just wired, and the base transmits wifi to the cameras. Either way, the wifi tends to oscillate a lot and the repeaters oscillate the signal quality a lot. I looked now to buy a repeater with a gigabite RJ port, so I'm going to wire the gigabite port to transmit 100% of my speed, which in this case is 500 megabite.

I used an old repeater that was in the drawer to wire the base and bring it closer to the cameras. Currently he is only 1 wall away and about 8 meters from the cameras. However the base is flashing orange and the cameras are offline. The repeater has all green lights (signal and transmission ok).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rd357 wrote:

Connect the cameras directly to the wifi? or connect the base to the wifi?

Pro4 cameras can be directly connected to your home WiFi if you wish.  In that case there is no need for a base.  

Local recordings wouldn't be possible w/o a base, so the only option would be cloud recordings (requiring a paid subscription).

rd357
Aspirant
Aspirant

my arlo pro 4 is not reading the qr code. already removed from the account, removed the base station, flashes blue light but does not read.

dcfox1
Master
Master

You have to move the camera around until it gets just right and you will here a chime when it it is read. There are FAQ in the Pro 4 forum here for setting it up on Wifi and the manual. 

Here is a YouTube vid for the essential cam for wifi but it is the same for Pro4. 

Essential Spotlight Camera How To Set Up - YouTube

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation