Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hg2121
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to set the Smart hub and cameras (Pro 3, doorbell, Pro 4, Ultra) at 5GHz band? Knowing that the base must connect to the router through an ethernet cable. Doing this the Smarthub and cameras would be on it own system while the router on another band to avoid WiFi channel crowded.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hg2121 wrote:

Is there a way to set the Smart hub and cameras (Pro 3, doorbell, Pro 4, Ultra) at 5GHz band? 

No.  The cameras only have a 2.4 ghz radio.

hg2121
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, Stephen.

Following up within 2.4GHz band.

Is there away to set smart hub and cameras on the channel (2.4GHz band) that is different from router (2.4GHz) channel? Example: hub+cameras channel 6 .  WiFi router Channel 1 (mostly by default)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hg2121 wrote:

Is there away to set smart hub and cameras on the channel (2.4GHz band) that is different from router (2.4GHz) channel? Example: hub+cameras channel 6 .  WiFi router Channel 1 (mostly by default)

There is no easy way - Arlo automatically chooses the channel, and they don't provide any manual settings.  In almost all cases they will follow the wifi channel chosen by your router.  Though that is counter-intuitive, in most situations it is a good option.  Some folks have put a small wifi extender near the base, and set the wifi extender to the desired channel.  Not a great workaround.

Are you seeing evidence of wifi interference?  Or are you just worried about the possibility?

hg2121
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, Stephen.

I am no longer access to the WiFi meter from work but I had seen crowded channel that had caused slowing data traffic. That what I am worrying that many of mine are old tech and using 2.4G.

I am not clear about "you said: Some folks have put a small wifi extender near the base, and set the wifi extender to the desired channel." Do you mean that the smart hub communicates (through ethernet cable) with the extended or router and find out the channel setting then sit on it?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@hg2121 wrote:

I am no longer access to the WiFi meter from work but I had seen crowded channel that had caused slowing data traffic. That what I am worrying that many of mine are old tech and using 2.4G.

The cameras don't need much bandwidth. If you aren't seeing an operational problem (cameras offline, failure to live stream, corrupted recordings), then I suggest just don't worry about it.

@hg2121 wrote:

I am not clear about "you said: Some folks have put a small wifi extender near the base, and set the wifi extender to the desired channel." Do you mean that the smart hub communicates (through ethernet cable) with the extended or router and find out the channel setting then sit on it?

No.  It just looks at the various wifi signals using its radio.  If there is a strong wifi signal nearby, then it will usually use the same channel.   Putting an extender near the base (say 6 feet away) will therefore usually result in the base using the same channel that the extender is configured to use.

As I said above, if you don't have clear evidence of wifi problem with your cameras, then I recommend leaving well enough alone.  "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation